I think I might be a Producer

I thought I was 'brilliant and unique.' The more I meet filmmakers, the more I realize that everybody is 'brilliant and unique,' and sitting on a killer idea in their basement that they can't let anybody know lest somebody steals it. The most brilliant filmmaker is the guy/gal who can keep all these brilliant ideas to him/herself all his/her life so that nobody EVER finds out about how brilliant the filmmaker really is. Sounds like a brilliant strategy that could only be conceived by the unique filmmaker mind.

:)

But all kidding aside, DDK, I kind of understand you. I've got a good buddy of mine, brimming with ideas. Everytime he tells me a story, I think "Hey, that's a pretty good idea. Why don't you write it?" He's just way too damn lazy, and he sleeps way too much to be a writer. He's lucky his dad left him money. But I don't think he's ever going to write a single word. But yes, he does have some good ideas.

Last edited:
So you think all gay people are lazy, ADHD, hypopnea sufferers with depression and anxiety issues?

Heh, you called me clever.

Half and half.

Every time I sit down to write a script I have to battle my above issues just to stay focused long enough to get anything on a page. And when I hit a snag it all goes to hell. I have so many scripts in my head, so many movies I want to give life to that I'm at a point of frustration that is making me consider other options. I'm currently looking at getting a ghost writer to collaborate with but finding one to write a script on spec is... err... difficult.

Having trained as a writer and having had the desire to be a professional writer since I was nine, I've encountered a lot of negative attitudes towards producers and directors. Not saying I have those attitudes (hell, I'd have to actually have experience within the industry in order to even develop such an attitude), just that it seems to be a fairly pervasive feeling within the industry, from the writer's perspective, that producers are lazy, incompetent idea thieves that destroy the pristine perfection of a screenwriter's work and that directors are the Devil's Apprentices.

So, in thinking that I may not be cut-out for a writing role and in considering other options, I thought being a producer might be the best fit in order to get my movies made. Never know, stranger things have happened. I mean, how else would you explain Keanu Reeves?

Maybe you're a movie watcher.

Or a short story writer.

Or a campfire storyteller.

Or a pamphlet writer.

Dude, overcoming obstacles is in the job description for writers and producers. A good producer is busy as hell. Only the terrible ones spend all day trying to rework screenplays and sharing their grand "ideas" with talent. Write a few shorts and then produce them. See what you're good at. If neither, dude, I've read some really bad pamphlets lately.

Back