I need help to determine which DSLR camera I should get

Hi, I have little experience with shooting "legit" films, pieces I can feel proud of, but I really do intend to change that as I have a big passion for film and one day hope to make a career out of it. Everything I've made thus far has been filmed using my iPhone, so I really could use an upgrade.

I would say my budget is around $1000. I hear quarter 2 of the year is one of the best times to buy a camera. I've asked for some advice on this in the past as well and was told I should pick up some audio equipment as well, as the camera's sadly aren't the best for audio. In the past, before some detours, I was looking at getting a t3i with a second lens. That was only from my research though, as then I didn't have any experienced minds to ask.

Given a $1000 budget, as a person who really wants to start getting serious about filmmaking, what should I get?

t2i/t3i will do 1080 but not in raw with magic lantern, thats where the 720 limit comes in.

If you put most of your money into nice lenses it won't matter as much if you bought the wrong camera. The lens investment will live on.

It's really tough tough, knowing what mm lens you want and all that stuff if you don't have any experience with the technology.

For example nifty fifty is great..beautiful images. but has such a shallow DOF that you need a different lens for many types of shots.

A Canon T3i is a barely ok-ish kind of camera, but like all other Canon cameras it is terrible value for money. It really should be a third of it's price given its level of performance (it keeps its higher price on the secondhand market due to demand from photographers, and filmmakers mistakenly thinking it is still a relevant new purchase in 2015).

Get instead a Panasonic GH1 (or Sony NEX-5N), it goes for US$150ish on eBay for the body. Then get a focal reducer and a few vintage Nikon lenses (either eBay again or KEH). A Panasonic GH1 will blow the socks of a T3i (in my opinion a GH1 is even better than a 5Dmk2, but they're at least at a broadly comparable level a 5Dmk2 and GH1).

Together you can get this for well under $1k, leaving more in the budget to get an extra lens or three (such as splurging out on a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or Rokinon 16mm), or to get any of the many other areas which can be money sinks: audio, lighting, tripod, etc... as you'll be much much better off having a fully rounded out kit then just one camera and a lens.

Cheap, usable lenses (all by canon, many others by samyang/rokinon/etc)
$130 EF-S 24mm STM pancake
$130 EF 40mm STM pancake
$125 50mm 1.8

I picked up that ef-s 24mm after you mentioned it. Been in the market for a wide angle lens.

Biggest surprise. . the lens makes mechanical noises when you focus it manually.

Didn't see that one coming :no:

I picked up that ef-s 24mm after you mentioned it. Been in the market for a wide angle lens.

Biggest surprise. . the lens makes mechanical noises when you focus it manually.

Didn't see that one coming :no:
Oh man.

I did know the STM lenses made a little noise, but didn't think it'd make any noise while using it manually. Sorry, I'll note that bit of info next time I make recommendations.

They did make the STM stuff their AF movie lenses, but I have heard of the noise. I figured an STM would be a good recommendation, because their newer stuff was generally pretty high performing. Is it loud enough to interfere with the sound (assuming you're not recording off your camera)?

How's the performance of the lens, otherwise?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh man.

I did know the STM lenses made a little noise, but didn't think it'd make any noise while using it manually. Sorry, I'll note that bit of info next time I make recommendations.

They did make the STM stuff their AF movie lenses, but I have heard of the noise. I figured an STM would be a good recommendation, because their newer stuff was generally pretty high performing. Is it loud enough to interfere with the sound (assuming you're not recording off your camera)?

How's the performance of the lens, otherwise?

After some thought about price/value I decided to keep the lens.
The alternatives are all much pricier and this lens gets the job done.

It's not super loud but it's recognizably a lens focus noise.
I'll just "fix it in post" :lol: take that sound out if it shows up.

I won't rack focus in the middle of dialogue but that sort of thing is what indie film making is all about.

Maybe not. But I'd rather buy if from Best Buy, a more-or-less known quantity for me and one of my favorite stores, if I were going to buy, than from BSD SUPERBY, an unknown quantity for me. Which is not to say you should or shouldn't buy it. =)

Yup I hear you. Anyone know if there are any sales coming up? Lifehacker says Spring is the time to buy a camera, as CES is "over and done with" and there should be deals. But I'm not sure.

Edit: I'm a slave to sales. ._.

Last edited:
Back