I need help to determine which DSLR camera I should get

Hi, I have little experience with shooting "legit" films, pieces I can feel proud of, but I really do intend to change that as I have a big passion for film and one day hope to make a career out of it. Everything I've made thus far has been filmed using my iPhone, so I really could use an upgrade.

I would say my budget is around $1000. I hear quarter 2 of the year is one of the best times to buy a camera. I've asked for some advice on this in the past as well and was told I should pick up some audio equipment as well, as the camera's sadly aren't the best for audio. In the past, before some detours, I was looking at getting a t3i with a second lens. That was only from my research though, as then I didn't have any experienced minds to ask.

Given a $1000 budget, as a person who really wants to start getting serious about filmmaking, what should I get?

Thanks, that's good to know. I see on Amazon they have this bundle:

71CgGNSx10L._SL1000_.jpg

"This Kit Includes:
1- Canon EOS Rebel T3i SLR Digital Cameras (Includes manufacturer's supplied accessories):
1- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens:
1- Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Autofocus Lens:
1- Wide Angle Macro Lens w/Pouch and Caps:
1- 2x Telephoto Zoom Lens w/Pouch and Caps:
1- 3 Piece Filter Kit Includes: UV, Circular Polarizer and Flourescent Filter:
1- 16GB SDHC Memory Card:
1- USB SD/HC Memory Card Reader:
2- Rechargeable Lithium Ion Replacement Extended Life Batteries:
1- Rapid Home and Car Charger:
1- Soft carrying case:
1- Full Size Tripod w/Carry Bag:
1- Pack of LCD Screen Protector:
1- Lens/LCD Cleaning Kit:
1- Mini Table Top Tripod:"

All for $869.27.

I am really unsure of what the value is on much anything film related. Is this a good deal? Should I hold off as prices are expected to go down with the news of the t5i?

I would imagine it is a good deal, as I see a 55-250mm lens is in the hundreds alone. Only little thing is the reviews said some of the accessories weren't of the greatest quality, but still the bundle received only 4's and 5's. (out of 5)

Last edited:
No. You have ZERO use for a 55-250. The other lens sucks as well. The tripod is cheap. The SD card is trash. It's a bulk of trash.

Buy a body. Buy a prime. Buy a good SD card. Buy a mic. Buy a recorder.

I can see where both of you are coming from really.

What if I could do away with a lot of the lower quality accessories, and instead find maybe just 3 or 4 items (camera + 3 extra items) for the same price. I do prefer quality over cheaply made items. Do you think this would be possible?

I can see where both of you are coming from really.

What if I could do away with a lot of the lower quality accessories, and instead find maybe just 3 or 4 items (camera + 3 extra items) for the same price. I do prefer quality over cheaply made items. Do you think this would be possible?

No. A camera and three lens will cost more than that price. You will most likely only be able to get one prime with the camera for that price.

--------------

Filming a ship from the land? Don't that's silly. Use stock footage like everyone else (including professional studios). Or get a boat to follow the one you need to shoot.

Last edited:
Hmm, you said "Buy a body. Buy a prime. Buy a good SD card. Buy a mic. Buy a recorder." Given my budget, and my desire to get a t3i based on research and most people suggesting it, what do you suggest I do?

Filmmaking 101, zoom with your feet.

Photography 101: use the right equipment.

Depends what you're shooting. If you are doing a bar that you want to feel crowded, you can get that feel with a long lens and a few people milling about. If you shoot that with a wide lens, it will feel empty without twice as many people, and the set needs to be larger.

Other times you don't want a short lens is a natural ECU, as that will distort the face badly. A 80mm on someone's face is far more natural than a 20 up close.

That said, the 55-250 will not see much use, but probably more than zero. Everything else in that kit screams "cheap", so I agree that it's better to have fewer, good items than a pile of crap.

Napkin math follows:

$250-350 Used or refurb body
$150 Video tripod (one step up from $50 total crap tripod will get a usable video head)
$50 extra battery
$50 SD cards

Cheap, usable lenses (all by canon, many others by samyang/rokinon/etc)
$130 EF-S 24mm STM pancake
$130 EF 40mm STM pancake
$125 50mm 1.8

More espensive, very useful lenses
$400 EF-S 10-22mm
$600 24-105 F4L (has Image Stabilization, even at 24mm)
$600 17-40 F4L

You can also adapt old 35mm Nikkor lenses, which are built really well and work fine for movies (although there are much better lenses today, these are built like tanks). You can adapt old medium format lenses, too, if you don't mind a 20kg camera.

A point you should consider is the camera/lens/tripod etc. is only part of the equation. Depending on what you want to achieve, there are other areas that are equally as important, if not more important. Lights, Sound, Grip, Post prod etc.

Without lights, a lot of your vision is going to look less than stellar.
Without sound, your productions will sound amateur.
Without post prod, you've only got a collection of videos on media.

They're just worth a consideration.

A t3i is just fine to start out with when you're looking to step up your game. It's far from a professional camera, but you can achieve good results with it if you learn to use it right.

USED Nikon AI primes. pretty easy to find, i shoot with a 24 2.8, 50 1.4, 75-150 3.5, and back home i borrow from a buddy a 55 macro 2.8, and a 100-300 4. most run well under 100 bucks, i've found some for closer to 25! keh.com is a good used lens resource. $100-300, depending how much you want. EDIT: they're all sharp and i LOVE them

get a refurb 60D or t3i body, and install Magic Lantern to get more out of it. ~$300

if you're setting up for photos, but some Yongnuo brand flashes on the cheap, for video, i found i could get some 200W bulbs at the hardware store and use them in certain lamps, sometimes with a china ball on a stand. there's cheap lights, ~$50

i really like the Ravelli tripod ~$70, but i mostly shoot photo, but it hasn't been bad when i've shot video, i don't have a huge camera set up on it though, so you might want something bigger if you add a follow focus and barn doors and monitor, then get some real sticks and head which will be closer to ~$150

build your own mini jib from a youtube tutorial ~$50. buy a short slider for ~$100 bucks or maybe one of those flycams, i hear they do well for the t3i, again ~$100

spend the rest on an ok hypercardiod or shotgun mic, i know there are some threads here with good recommendations that run ~$150

of course you could blow it all at once on one lens or body, but i figure with all this you'll have quite the range of things you can do. but you've gotta spend the time learning how and in what situations to use what different gear you have. some of these things are compromises...you wont get 5DIII quality, you have to get to know the DIY crane, mine is finnicky, but i practice, the flycam isn't a MOVI, etc, you get it

Last edited:
get a refurb 60D or t3i body, and install Magic Lantern to get more out of it. ~$300

spend the rest on an ok hypercardiod or shotgun mic, i know there are some threads here with good recommendations that run ~$150

of course you could blow it all at once on one lens or body, but i figure with all this you'll have quite the range of things you can do.

I agree with the above advice, since your funds are limited. $1000 is really not much room to get fancy. But if that's your budget, that's your budget.

- I'd get a refurbished t3i (or a t2i even. I still use mine) with the kit lens. You can use kijiji, if you must, but I'd buy from ebay from someone with a good rep.
- I don't see anything wrong with a cheap 55-250 when starting out. You're not going to be making masterpieces tomorrow. You want to learn what to do with your lenses, how to frame, etc. (Cheap lens does mean more light needed, but let's assume you're shooting in the park)
- A half decent tripod that doesn't jerk when you pan. I like these ones http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B003HNS6S0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new. I use two of these.
-yes, install magic lantern. You can record audio directly to camera in the beginning at least.
- this recorder just in case you need one http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1949527442&pf_rd_i=915398. It's pretty versatile, and a pretty good recorder for the price, and should be more than enough for a beginner's needs.

I think the above should fit within the budget after taxes.

- I would recommend a separate microphone, but then you'll have to come up with some extras for a boom pole and mic holder, and dead cat, and a semi decent recorder, otherwise, I think the microphone will be kind of useless

Cheers

Last edited:
- I don't see anything wrong with a cheap 55-250 when starting out. You're not going to be making masterpieces tomorrow. You want to learn what to do with your lenses, how to frame, etc. (Cheap lens does mean more light needed, but let's assume you're shooting in the park)

-yes, install magic lantern. You can record audio directly to camera in the beginning at least.
- this recorder just in case you need one http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1949527442&pf_rd_i=915398. It's pretty versatile, and a pretty good recorder for the price, and should be more than enough for a beginner's needs.

mic holder, and dead cat

1) if you buy the body with the kit, you'll spend as much as if you buy the body separately from a variety of used but better 50 fast primes

2) you *can record to camera, doesn't mean you should. buy the recorder

3) mic holder, boom pole, blimp, and dead cat can be made from things around the house if you're crafty, i love this youtube channel for the ultra low budget, guy is clever! https://www.youtube.com/user/thefrugalfilmmaker

Last edited:
one size does not fit all. the sweeping generalizations made in this thread sound like somebody opened a textbook, read something and had the idea they instantly knew everything there was to know about filmmaking. get a t3i with a decent lens *obligatory nifty fifty mention* and a class 10, 32gb memory card. once you use it a few times, you'll get an idea of what you want next.

Back