I know nothing of filmmaking

Hi! (hopefully this is the right section for it)

So I know nothing of filmmaking. I don't know how to direct a film, I don't know how to write a film, I don't know how to produce a film, and I don't know how to get into film industry.

This much I know: I like watching films, I like to read about films, their history and film theory and whenever I read about the practical side of filmmaking and when I see a director at work, usually in behind the scenes, I get quite excited and wish I was the one doing their job - though as I said my knowledge is superficial and amounts to nothing.

I've been thinking about taking a few foundation courses and a few courses on directing. I don't want to go straight to film school.

But I'm really confused. I don't acually know if I have what it takes to be a director. I'm not exactly an outgoing person, and I don't know how confident I will be on a set. At times I wonder if I'm trying to make excuses for myself. I mean is maybe if I had the knowledge I would have the confidence to direct a film?

Screen writing might be a better starting point for me?

How much do I need to know before I take a step?

Also, what route will get me into film industry and let me put my knowledge into use?

Let's say I do foundation courses and directing courses and manage to make a few short films. Will I have to send them to an agent after that and hope that this individual would find me a job?

I went to university for five years and did a course that I did not like. and as you can tell I'm a bit lost.

Sorry about my thoughts being so incoherent, and about the many questions, but if you managed to make sense out of them, well, then, I would really appreciate a response :)

Well welcome. This is a great site to learn about film making.

Maybe along the way, on this board, you'll meet people in your area. And maybe you'll be able to help out in some capacity, on one of their sets. Indie filmmakers are always in need to good friends and good participants.that could be a great way to see where your interests are at.

The more I've learned, the more I've become interested in visual effects. When I started out, right where you are at, I knew I loved movies. Now my focus has narrowed.

Last edited:
So I know nothing of filmmaking. I don't know how to direct a film, I don't know how to write a film, I don't know how to produce a film, and I don't know how to get into film industry.
We all start somewhere. You will need to start somewhere, too. Who is
your favorite director? You know he started somewhere. I bet he was
unsure, too. I know that he overcame it.
Screenwriting is a great place to start. Write five. Start today.
How much do I need to know before I take a step?
Not a thing. You just start. Make a few truly terrible films. Learn by
making them. and get better.
Also, what route will get me into film industry and let me put my knowledge into use?
Each path is slightly different. No one here can tell you today what your
path will be.
Let's say I do foundation courses and directing courses and manage to make a few short films. Will I have to send them to an agent after that and hope that this individual would find me a job?
No. Agents do not get people jobs. An agent advises you and is knowledgeable
about contracts and getting you the best deal. A few award winning short
films is a great way to get noticed. But you need to take that first step and
make a few really terrible films as you learn.

Once you stop thinking about what you don't know and start the learning
process, you may be surprised how easy it is for you.

I'm not exactly an outgoing person

That's going to be a kick to the nuts and will really hinder your progress. While it won't make it impossible, it'll really help if you learn how to open up a little more. Who knows, clear concise written instructions might be more your style?

and I don't know how confident I will be on a set.

Confidence comes when you gain your knowledge and experience.

At times I wonder if I'm trying to make excuses for myself.
Well that isn't going to help you to be honest. When you're new, making a stinking pile isn't going to help you if you think its the most beautiful, incredible thing in the whole wide world. We all need to learn from our mistakes, improve our weaknesses and exploit our strengths.

I mean is maybe if I had the knowledge I would have the confidence to direct a film?

This is likely. For some people, it just takes balls... balls to go out and make something regardless of your level of knowledge.

I'll give you one suggestion if you're going to make a short/movie. Get a clear picture in your head in how your film will look and sound. How the audience should feel and go out and work your ass off until you achieve that vision. Technique without vision won't help you as a director.... and there's a lot of people out there that you can hire(loan, beg, borrow, steal) to help you with the technique. Filmmaking is a team sport.

What i would recommend.

Get a hold of the Dov S S Simens dvd "2 day film school"

http://dovsimensfilmschool.com/

view it a few times.

Then read the book "Film making for dummies"

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Filmmaking-For-Dummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-0470386940.html

that would give you an idea about the whole process of making movies, and the realities.

Then either start with helping others make movies to see it in practice, or just start making your own. Since you are shy, start with a 1 man movie project. Then work your way up with another person helping you and so forth. This way you grow in confidence, and can take on bigger and bigger projects.

You can also go to a film school if possible, but that's usually costly and very time consuming. And remember, some of the best movie makers, have never set a foot inside a film school, or have dropped out of them.

Hi,

:welcome:

Screenwriting is a great place to start (that's my plan, anyway), but only IF you're a competent writer! Screenwriting is a beast unto its self, not to be taken lightly.

Have you written anything before? (short stories, books, poems, etc).

If not, I suppose the only thing to do is try, you never know -- you might be a natural!

Some places to check out (not sure if I'm allowed to do this?!): Done Deal Pro forums, John Augusts blog, Go Into The Story blog... plus many more...

Goodluck!

:)

Hello there! I am in similar situaition,

My top 3 advice would be:

1. Stop and think how serious your passion is.
With time a lot of things/attitudes change,so don't be one of those guys who enrolls in film school and buys equipment for 1 mil. $ to later realise it is not for him.
you can always start small. Smartphone,camcoder just to try things out. Keep a job if you have one and have filmmaking as hoby,until you are ready to evolve

2. Find like minded people. if you are not shy enough to post on this forum,you prolly will be brave enough to talk to people who share your views,interests.
Like other posters said collaborate or try directing with family,close friends or sm you are not too shy of.

3. Get the info. you found this forum so high 5. Youtube,blogs,articles other forums.... will over the basics for free. Then books,videos,courses,seminars etc. which you have to pay for.

And good luck! ;)

i was in your position in around april this year, my advice.. dont bother going to year long courses.

1. if you want to make films, then research a camera to get, decide your budget then go from there.

2. learn how to use the camera

3. make as many 2 minute short films about anything as much as you can

4. learn how to write a script

5. try making a bit more of an official script

most importantly, if your not creative youl struggle to make a film anyone will want to watch, if you dont have the passion, then quit while your ahead, dont waste your lifetime.

6. read my thread may give you some inspiration: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=43729

7. stop wasting time and get to point number 1!

Well welcome. This is a great site to learn about film making.

Maybe along the way, on this board, you'll meet people in your area. And maybe you'll be able to help out in some capacity, on one of their sets. Indie filmmakers are always in need to good friends and good participants.that could be a great way to see where your interests are at.

The more I've learned, the more I've become interested in visual effects. When I started out, right where you are at, I knew I loved movies. Now my focus has narrowed.

I suppose over time I will be to say what I find more intriguing when it comes down to filmmaking. So far I find directing, cinematography, and editing quite enticing.

We all start somewhere. You will need to start somewhere, too. Who is
your favorite director? You know he started somewhere. I bet he was
unsure, too. I know that he overcame it.

Not a thing. You just start. Make a few truly terrible films. Learn by
making them. and get better.

No. Agents do not get people jobs. An agent advises you and is knowledgeable
about contracts and getting you the best deal. A few award winning short
films is a great way to get noticed. But you need to take that first step and
make a few really terrible films as you learn.

Lynch, Gonzales and Arronofsky and oh Fincher too. I usually find myself lost in their films.

Also, about starting somewhere...that's where I end up being overwhelmed. The medium is over 100 years old and the amount of material to read up on is sometimes beyond what I can really fit into my time table. And it's not just reading, there is watching too - what kind of a filmmaker will I be if I have not seen "this must see film" or that "must see film"?

But what I've gathered from comments hre is that if I want to be a practical filmmaker I really have to get to it and have to throw myself into the process.

One step at a time :cool:

Welcome to the forums! I believe that's a first step, eh? :)

That's going to be a kick to the nuts and will really hinder your progress. While it won't make it impossible, it'll really help if you learn how to open up a little more. Who knows, clear concise written instructions might be more your style?

Confidence comes when you gain your knowledge and experience.

Well that isn't going to help you to be honest. When you're new, making a stinking pile isn't going to help you if you think its the most beautiful, incredible thing in the whole wide world. We all need to learn from our mistakes, improve our weaknesses and exploit our strengths.

This is likely. For some people, it just takes balls... balls to go out and make something regardless of your level of knowledge.

I'll give you one suggestion if you're going to make a short/movie. Get a clear picture in your head in how your film will look and sound. How the audience should feel and go out and work your ass off until you achieve that vision. Technique without vision won't help you as a director.... and there's a lot of people out there that you can hire(loan, beg, borrow, steal) to help you with the technique. Filmmaking is a team sport.

To be honest I don't think "not an outgoing person" was a right phrase to use. I'm not hopelessly shy, but rather it is in this very situation where I would have to command how and in what way people should act on the screen and how the story has to unfold that I find myself...with an impaired confidence level. But hopefully with knowledge, I will overcome this.

Also, I'm really good at visualising, the technical aspect of filmmaing is what I know so little about.

What i would recommend.

Get a hold of the Dov S S Simens dvd "2 day film school"

http://dovsimensfilmschool.com/

view it a few times.

Then read the book "Film making for dummies"

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Filmmaking-For-Dummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-0470386940.html

that would give you an idea about the whole process of making movies, and the realities.

Then either start with helping others make movies to see it in practice, or just start making your own. Since you are shy, start with a 1 man movie project. Then work your way up with another person helping you and so forth. This way you grow in confidence, and can take on bigger and bigger projects.

You can also go to a film school if possible, but that's usually costly and very time consuming. And remember, some of the best movie makers, have never set a foot inside a film school, or have dropped out of them.

Hey the DVD looks good, but it's the same price (well, quite close) as the course that I was thinking about taking - which is in London, costs 198 British Pound and takes place on five consequetive days...but I might go for it to get another perspective.

I vlog on Youtube, does that count as a one man project? :D

Hi,

:welcome:

Screenwriting is a great place to start (that's my plan, anyway), but only IF you're a competent writer! Screenwriting is a beast unto its self, not to be taken lightly.

Have you written anything before? (short stories, books, poems, etc).

If not, I suppose the only thing to do is try, you never know -- you might be a natural!

Some places to check out (not sure if I'm allowed to do this?!): Done Deal Pro forums, John Augusts blog, Go Into The Story blog... plus many more...

Goodluck!

:)

well I write here and there, mainly pieces. Sometimes on their own they look very abstract, so much so that I end up saying to myself "what was I thinking? what exactly does this mean?". But I have made a few attempts to write a coherent story bound to conventions a few times. Have not made a lot of progress with them though.

I will try to look them up! :)

Hello there! I am in similar situaition,

My top 3 advice would be:

1. Stop and think how serious your passion is.
With time a lot of things/attitudes change,so don't be one of those guys who enrolls in film school and buys equipment for 1 mil. $ to later realise it is not for him.
you can always start small. Smartphone,camcoder just to try things out. Keep a job if you have one and have filmmaking as hoby,until you are ready to evolve

2. Find like minded people. if you are not shy enough to post on this forum,you prolly will be brave enough to talk to people who share your views,interests.
Like other posters said collaborate or try directing with family,close friends or sm you are not too shy of.

3. Get the info. you found this forum so high 5. Youtube,blogs,articles other forums.... will over the basics for free. Then books,videos,courses,seminars etc. which you have to pay for.

And good luck! ;)

I don't think film schools will let me in anyway considering how I have to make a short film first and send it to them with the application form. And rest assured I can't afford to spend a million on equipments.

But as I said filmmaking has evolved to an extent where getting a steady starting point seems really difficult. That's why I was thinking about the course, they usually start off from a point and give you enough information to build up on. Well, hopefully anyway.

i was in your position in around april this year, my advice.. dont bother going to year long courses.

1. if you want to make films, then research a camera to get, decide your budget then go from there.

2. learn how to use the camera

3. make as many 2 minute short films about anything as much as you can

4. learn how to write a script

5. try making a bit more of an official script

most importantly, if your not creative youl struggle to make a film anyone will want to watch, if you dont have the passion, then quit while your ahead, dont waste your lifetime.

6. read my thread may give you some inspiration: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=43729

7. stop wasting time and get to point number 1!

shoot 2 minute films? I like! Not daunting at all.

Whoa, you like to read? You're one up on a heck of a lot of people here!

Check these recommended books out: http://www.lexiecannes.com/id16.html

Good luck.

haha, next time I ill check this forum more often, before thinsg get out of control. Oh well, I think I managed to respond to everyone.

Once again, thanks everyone for comments, suggestions and encouraging ideas :)

To be honest I don't think "not an outgoing person" was a right phrase to use. I'm not hopelessly shy, but rather it is in this very situation where I would have to command how and in what way people should act on the screen and how the story has to unfold that I find myself...with an impaired confidence level. But hopefully with knowledge, I will overcome this.

If you're going to direct, then it's something you'll have to learn and make it second nature. There's a lot more, but it's an important part. To gain yourself some confidence in it, learn some things about managing people. You'll find these kind of books in the business section of your local library/book shop.

Also, I'm really good at visualising, the technical aspect of filmmaing is what I know so little about.

Then you're golden... so long as you've got the gift of being able to get money to be able to afford the technical expertise.... or someone willing to afford you that luxury. If you need to lower your cost of entry, you'll need to do more yourself and this means you'll need to know more. That's the price.

But as I said filmmaking has evolved to an extent where getting a steady starting point seems really difficult. That's why I was thinking about the course, they usually start off from a point and give you enough information to build up on. Well, hopefully anyway.

Damn straight. It's a lot like computing. There's more and more to learn, the quality the audiences/customers have come to expect are ever increasing which increases the initial learning curve. All that doesn't mean you cannot jump in feet first and see how you go. You might be a natural, who knows? So long as you're self aware or have good friends who are, you'll learn quickly what you need to learn to get on top.

welcome.gif

Welcome Grasshopper!
I'm one of the audio guys here.
Always remember:

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyJRXvPNRo​

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"
"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Also, about starting somewhere...that's where I end up being overwhelmed. The medium is over 100 years old and the amount of material to read up on is sometimes beyond what I can really fit into my time table.
I see your problem. For some reason you feel you need to absorb over
100 years of film knowledge and material before you make your first
short film. A truly daunting task. I would be overwhelmed, too.

Most of us picked up a camera and started making movies. I did that
before I read a single book and long before I saw "this must see film".
I was 13 - many of the current "must see" films had not even been
made and I wouldn't have appreciated most of the ones that had.

And it's not just reading, there is watching too - what kind of a filmmaker will I be if I have not seen "this must see film" or that "must see film"?
Maybe a very good one. Seeing films others say are "must see" does not
make you a filmmaker. Not seeing films others say are "must see" doesn't
hinder you as a filmmaker. What hinders you as a director is NOT making
films.

My advice - make four short films over the next six months. Then in
June of 2013 if you still want to be a director, make your first, serious
short film using the experience you gained by making the four. You can
watch one "must see" film a week and write five pages a week and read
one book a month. By June you will have four completed short films, will
have seen 30 (or so) of the 3,000 "must see" films, will have a feature
length screenplay and have read six filmmaking books.

How's that for a start?

Back