I know, I already asked this...

I already asked this but my mind didn't get all the food it was craving.

I would like to get a dslr for my video projects, this includes church videos (30sec-3min), Short films (2min-8min), and wedding videos (about 30-45 minutes on camera over a 2 hour period).

I have used a DSLR for a wedding video before and it didn't overheat like everyone said it would. It was amazing.

My only other choice than a dlsr (wanting the T2i) is something like the HG20. My budget is only open to up to $1500. If you have a suggestion, please comment.

I was thinking of getting the T2i, 2-3 lenses, and 2 extra batteries, oh, plus some SDHC cards. I was going to build a little railing rig (LOVE DIY STUFF:yes: ) and have this in my film package.

Please take this under consideration again, I am 13, have a little business called Digital Root Films that I do wedding vids, and other freelance stuff in. If a dslr is not for me, please steer me into the right direction. I hope i'm not bugging anyone, but I am the type of person that asks many questions.

Presently I have a Canon HF100, which is good, but I would like to expand. If you need any more specifications, please just ask. I am open to anything.

Again thank you so much for helping. I hope that I haven't been a bother ;)

Remember, the DSLR will have a maximum shot length of 12 minutes before you have to switch cards. In documentary work, this is usually insufficient. You wouldn't want to have the bride and groom wait to cut the cake while you switch cards. If you're working in tandem with two or more shooters you can make sure this isn't a problem, but keep it in mind.

I agree with Uranium. If you want to use this extensively for weddings, you might want to reconsider, and go for hdv. I know you already had a positive experience with it, but that doesn't mean you always will.

Imagine the catastrophe if you FINALLY have an issue with it, during your first really well-paid gig. Right as the bride is about to kiss the groom. OMG!!! Personally, I wouldn't wanna risk it.

BTW -- consider me envious of your position. I wasn't doing ANYTHING like this at your age. Kudos! Have fun with it. And I hope it leads somewhere great for you.

I think I'd agree with the others here - a DSLR isn't the most practical choice for shooting an unrepeatable live event. Great for shooting drama, but perhaps too big a risk for a wedding.

I don't think anyone said it would overheat - I know I mentioned that they can. If you were shooting with a 5D or 7D before then it much less likely to be an issue because of the material the body is made from. This may be less of an issue if you live and intend to shoot in a cooler climate.

Remember, the DSLR will have a maximum shot length of 12 minutes before you have to switch cards.

After further research, Canon says that it is based on a 4gb card. That means if I have 2 16gb cards, that gives me approximately 1 hour and thirty minutes on the camera. Also, it said CONTINUOUS SHOOTING, of my experience with the dslr, each clip can only last that long. I probably shot close to 30 minutes of footage on an 8gb sdhc at the last wedding I did. If I am wrong, please correct me (I probably am:P). I don't want to jump into this w/o knowing all the details.

Anyone with a dslr out there wanna comment?

Thanks again!

Different DSLR's have different limit, i think. I can tell you that the Canon 7D has a limit of 12 mins.

They have these limits bc of legal reasons. I cant remember what the exact time limit is, but i think any camera that can record more than 29 minutes of video continuously gets classified as a video camera and then it is in a different tax bracket affecting its price.

So DSLR's, in order to stay classified as still cameras have these limits in their firmware.

Different DSLR's have different limit, i think. I can tell you that the Canon 7D has a limit of 12 mins.

They have these limits bc of legal reasons. I cant remember what the exact time limit is, but i think any camera that can record more than 29 minutes of video continuously gets classified as a video camera and then it is in a different tax bracket affecting its price.

So DSLR's, in order to stay classified as still cameras have these limits in their firmware.

Got yo, makes sense. you said continously, does that mean I can shot 4 12 min clips?

I think Uranium City may have got a bit mixed up here - the maximum clip length is 12 minutes, but it is the memory card's capacity that limits the total amount of footage per card. You will not have to put in a new card after 12 minutes.

Ernest, the 12 minute limit is actually to do with the file system of the cards, FAT32, which has a maximum file size limit of 4GB (so the time limit can vary, depending on the complexity of the clip). You are correct that cameras do have limited recording times for tax bracket purposes, but in the case of the Canon DSLRs it is for technical rather than legal reasons.

Yep, it appears I was mistaken about the switching cards business. I was (incorrectly) remembering an interview with DSLR guru Philip Bloom. Here is the actual quote:

"As a documentary filmmaker, the last thing you want to do is when it comes up to that 12 minutes is say “Hang on there! Gonna do another take!” Get your clapper board out…you completely ruin the whole thing! You don’t want that. The joy of the software I’ve got (Plural Eyes for Final Cut Pro) is that we simply left the Zoom (audio recorder) recording. The director was asking the questions (his voice was not used) and when we got to around 10 minutes and he was asking a question, I simply stopped recording and started again.

For me, news would be the hardest thing to shoot with a DSLR. You have a fast turn around. You have to convert your rushes. You have to sync dual system sound. I’ve done 17 years in news. I know how fast it has to be. I can’t imagine doing it. I would never do it with a DSLR. For a news feature, something like a 60 Minutes, I’d do it. It’s not great for running around handheld, chasing after people, fly-on-the-wall stuff, it’s very difficult to shoot with DSLRs."

So a simple stop/start before 12 minutes expires instead of changing cards. Probably easy to get in the hang of when shooting a wedding.

Ernest, the 12 minute limit is actually to do with the file system of the cards, FAT32, which has a maximum file size limit of 4GB (so the time limit can vary, depending on the complexity of the clip). You are correct that cameras do have limited recording times for tax bracket purposes, but in the case of the Canon DSLRs it is for technical rather than legal reasons.

Learn something new everyday :)

I think Uranium City may have got a bit mixed up here - the maximum clip length is 12 minutes, but it is the memory card's capacity that limits the total amount of footage per card. You will not have to put in a new card after 12 minutes.

To OP: And yeah, as chilipie said, the amount of footage will depend on the memory card you get. A 32GB will hold 8 clips that are 12 mins each. For best performance when recording video on DSLR's get a high speed card.

PS

sorry for the double post.

To OP: And yeah, as chilipie said, the amount of footage will depend on the memory card you get. A 32GB will hold 8 clips that are 12 mins each. For best performance when recording video on DSLR's get a high speed card.

PS

sorry for the double post.

No problem. Thanks everyone for commenting!

I really don't mind your mix up, and am glad that you did it. It brought new light to how I will be doing things. I will be doing shorter clips than long ones. I am lucky that ceremonies usually only last from 15-30 minutes, so as long as I have a 8gb card I'll be fine.

Thanks, any more suggestions? Really appreciate everyones help! :)

If your budget is 1500, then imo T2i + lenses. u probably already have a tripod etc right?

EDIT: I dont know how much the GH1 is but ive been hearing about a hack or something that you can download for it and the image quality has gotten better...

Someone else know more about this?

You might want to research it. I really dont know much abt the GH1.

THe fact of the matter is, I can afford a couple different ones, which one would be better for video?

look at this: T2i vs 7D overheating test on vimeo.
fastforward to around 6:43, it took the T2i 1 hour and 16 min (approximately) to overheat. That is impressive. It was also continuous, so off and on will go even longer.

Back to the camera decision. I would love to get a T2i, but what lenses should I get for it? I am already planning on purchasing all the other equipment with it, so for the camera package my budget goes down to $1200 for the camera package, that should get me the body and 2 lenses, right? If i need to splurge to $1300, I can.

This page shows the lenses I was thinking of. Any opinions?

Last edited:
There is a Canon prime lens for about $100 that a lot of people recommend.

By the way, I believe the Panasonic GH1 does not have a 12 minute file limitation. However, it costs more than the T2i.

And for what its worth I read today that a wedding video expert said that anyone who does not incorporate a DSLR into their business will lose clients. Once brides and grooms start to see the "movie" quality DSLRs provide they will demand them.

There is a Canon prime lens for about $100 that a lot of people recommend.

By the way, I believe the Panasonic GH1 does not have a 12 minute file limitation. However, it costs more than the T2i.

And for what its worth I read today that a wedding video expert said that anyone who does not incorporate a DSLR into their business will lose clients. Once brides and grooms start to see the "movie" quality DSLRs provide they will demand them.

Awesome info! The fact is that I would like to stick with canon, though not exclusive, I rely their quality products.

Back