I just auditioned...

...for a student film.

I choked it so hard. :no:

I swear I saw one of the ADs off to the side with a long crook, ready to drag me off.

Oh well. All the more reason to keep casting myself in my own material! :lol:

Auditions suck.

:cool:

I've never auditioned or acted - and definitely prefer the idea of being behind the camera - but maybe I should so that I understand how rough things can be for the actors!

Don't be too hard on yourself, Zen. Just because you think it was a bad audition, doesn't necessarily mean anyone else saw it that way.

Don't worry about blowing the audition. It takes experienced stage actors ages to get used to working in front of the camera.

I do have a great piece of advice for dealing with stage fright though.

When we get nervous we tend to hyperventilate. Trying to control the breath to calm yourself down is the answer, but what nobody tells you is how to do it. If you try to take longer in-breaths it doesn't work, however, if instead you make an effort to control and lenghten the out-breath, gently expelling all the air you can, then the in breath will automatically be deeper.

The other thing that helps is learning to breath lower in your body. Most people breathe into the top of their chests, when what is best for your health and for acting is breathe down into the abdomen. You learn how to do this by lying on your back placing your hands on your stomach and then breathing into that area. When you get it righ tyour hands will move up and down with the breath.

Try it, it works.

I have very little acting experience. But I eventualy learned through my improv class that the trick to acting is not acting. It sounds silly but it's true. Don't try to act. I'm a big Method fan but at times I think Method Acting goes over the top. Instead, just try to be casual.

I blew my audition for my theatre school audition on purpose, because there were a bunch of acting snobs in the greenroom, and I didn't want to go to a course with them.

Auditions are hard anyway. The best thing is to turn on YOUR personality to the max, and be easy to work with. Spaul's right. Don't take it personal!

You were fantastic in Health Nut.. I'm sure you'll find work. If David Hasselhof can, so can you!!! :)

To hijack the thread for just a second...

I, too, am a fan of method acting... ever since I did a show with a particularly attractive method actress whose entire character motivation was based on having had sex with my character. That, my friends, was an excellent show. ;)

Now then, having auditioned for stage and film many times, I agree with SP. It's not as much how you think you did as how they think you did. Then again, since they're closely watching your every nuance and reaction, if you were up there with "isuckisuckisuckisuck" running through your mind, they probably picked up on it. ;)

-Jeff

if you were up there with "isuckisuckisuckisuck" running through your mind

Not too far off, sadly. Funny that Clive mentioned the hyperventilating, too. :lol:

The weird thing was, I did a lot better on the cold readings they had me do as well. That was no problem at all, running through random selections from their book. It was just the stuff I had prepared and knew well, that I choked on. :weird:

This is the first audition that I've been on in 15 years or so. Must be out of shape... I recall never particularly liking auditions way back then, but I never blew it so badly either. It will give me something good to chat about at acting class this weekend, anyway.

Time to get back up on the horse and try it again. :cool:

Zensteve said:
This is the first audition that I've been on in 15 years or so. Must be out of shape... I recall never particularly liking auditions way back then, but I never blew it so badly either. It will give me something good to chat about at acting class this weekend, anyway.

Time to get back up on the horse and try it again. :cool:

Zen,

I always freeze up with stuff like this...no worries.

At least you have the right attitude.

...you are brave to get out there in the first place. Most people are afraid of just public speaking... Good for you for even trying...

--spinner

:yes: Yea don't feel so bad - I went to an open call here in Denver a few years back for "Some Kind Of Woman" and it was not so great - First I was the only guy in a suit, everyone else looked like they'd done this before and were practicing in the lobby. When they finally called me I was stuffed ina big white room with 3 people. I read the lines and then they put me with some crazy woman that said I did okay (yea right) and that with more training I could be a star in a commercial. I thought it over for like a second and realized I dont need to pay someone two grand to tell me I can't act.

Instead I will just continue to cast myself and let other people suffer (see Game.Boy.) :lol:

Tom Noonan

Zensteve said:
...for a student film.

I choked it so hard. :no:

I swear I saw one of the ADs off to the side with a long crook, ready to drag me off.

Oh well. All the more reason to keep casting myself in my own material! :lol:

Auditions suck.

:cool:

Zen,

I have a PDF file that I made over a year ago from some stuff the actor, Tom Noonan gave me. He lets me give it to any actor as long as I don't profit from the information... i.e., selling it. Really good stuff. If you're interested, let me know... If I remember correctly, there's some good information about auditioning...

Every actor I've given it to says they've benefited from it.

Let me know...

filmy

I need all the help I can get, good Filmjumper!
smiley_pac.gif

I'd love to read it.

I'd love to take a look as well if you can. It would be highly beneficial from a directors standpoint. The more I understand actors and their troubles the better I can work with them.

I didn't realize so many members would want something like this... If anyone else wants a copy, just PM me with your email address and I'll send it out as an attachment.

filmy

That's pretty interesting reading there, good FilmJumper. :cool:

Very cool of your friend to share his thoughts and insights like that. Quite a lot to think about.

It was a harsh reality reading about the opinion on auditions... just all the more reason for me to work on getting the knack downpat. It really is important. :D

filmscheduling said:
I've never auditioned or acted - and definitely prefer the idea of being behind the camera - but maybe I should so that I understand how rough things can be for the actors!

I signed up with Actors Creative Workshop for their "Acting For Non-Actors" workshop. It's a course designed for off-camera people, to help them connect to how actors work and create their worlds.

Actually, first class was earlier tonight. It was exceptional. I'd highly recommend taking such a course if something similar is offered near you. :yes:

I was also most happy to take advantage of the
premiere.gif
discount, for Actors Creative Workshop sessions.

:)

Here's another slice of the 'advice pie': Don't step out to do ANY audition with a artificial regard for getting in "right."
If you don't know who you're auditioning for at a personal level, know this, that they've already seen a 1,000 "smart-guys." Now you may be a smart guy, like I'm a smart guy...But they don't want to see another "smart guy," what they want to see is someone different.
As for any nervous energy that you have, don't DENY it. Like any fear, if you pretend that its not there it'll get worse. Accept the fear for what it is, tell yourself that "whatever happens next you can handle it," actors don't create false-fronts at an audition through which to then again act through...That's just emotionally blocked work happening. so instead they accept the fear and get on with it, and guess what? The fear disappears...
I hope that this is of help to you, and best of regards for your next audition.
Ciao for know.

Filmy. Thanks. That's just the most stunning piece of writing about acting I've read in years and it mirrors everything I believe as a director about performance in film.

On top of that, if you substitute the word writing for acting it pretty much sums up my current thinking about the creative process of writing. I believe for myself that more and more it is about turning up to the page and letting the story get told, not an intellectual process, something much more viseral. I've discovered that my best work comes when I just let the words flow, not working to a plan or any sense of where the story is going. Of course much of this thinking is related to my recent decisions to turn my back on commercial film making and concentrate on my development as an avante garde film maker.

I can not thank you enough for letting me read that. You would not believe how important it was for me to read that today. Tom's a great actor, I've always thought so and now I understand why. Could you pass on my sincere thanks if you get the opportunity.

Back