i don't want to

I had to make a short non-narrative film for my film class at school and on monday my school's having an art exhibition thing and my film is one of the films that's gonna be shown and she wants me to say something about it before they show it but the thing is.... I DON'T WANNA :no:
call me crazy but i just hate people seeing my films for some reason. it's like i can just see every possible mistake and editing flaw and when people start watching it i just keep thinking that they think it's stupid or crap. i can't do it, it's giving me the creeps just thinking about it. :(
i was wondering how you guys cope ( and if you actually feel like this).... and i hate speaking in front of people, especially of this size :no:

First off, congrats on having your film be selected!
smiley_bounce.gif

I think you'll find many people are overly critical of their own works. I know that I've never been truly happy with anything I've done, and am acutely aware of every mistake (real and imagined) that is to be seen.

Public speaking takes a bit of getting used to, no doubt. I think you'll be fine, though. If you're smart and creative enough to be able to make one of the better films there, you'll be smart and creative enough to handle any random question that gets tossed your way.

Besides... if anyone gives you any crap, you'll just wing a boomerang at them and hit them... in the ear! Right? :cool:

Usually you can just say "thank you for coming" before the film... there's not much to say, it's much easier to speak after the screening because there will be questions. Go for it. It will get you ready for when you have to speak at a large festival. Congrats.

:D thanx Zensteve (1st of all i love that dancing smiley... i mean i really LOVE it)
you really helped but.... man :eek: i'm freaking out. i'm getting butterflies in my stomach just thinking about this :no: just for the sake of it "i don't wanna" lol i guess i'm just gonna have to live with the paranoia huh!?!?! and answering any questions they have....
ugh i don't really feel that well......

and lol yes Zensteve that's the spirit right in the freakin ear!!!!

thanx Indie, but my teacher wants me to say something about it before they show it, to exlpain what we've done and what we've been learning......... aagrh *going crazy here*

Hang in there, Bad. Speaking before a group isn't that dreadful.

While you're collecting butterflies in the stomach, take out a couple of index cards and write down some memories about making your movie. Don't strain to make them profound thoughts, just anecdotes about what happened during pre / production / post.

Go into it with the idea that you're sharing stories about the making of your movie with friends. Something like this:

Note: "First day of shooting we discovered no one brought DV tapes."
Note: "Then we realized we were missing a microphone cable."

Wrap those into a "lessons learned" category about keeping a checklist handy before shooting.

A few of those casual stories with thoughtful reflection about what they taught you... and your going to look like a freakin' genius! (Not that you aren't already a genius, of course.)

Hope this helps - and good luck!!

Warning this will not help your relationship with your teacher! But here is a speech ...

The following film is a radical deconstruction of both the semantics and the narrative nature of the camera in post-modern storytelling. Using light as both metaphor and character, we have attempted to decontextualise the two dimensional nature of the image, by deconstructing the process of film making. In order to break the illusion of "reality" and illuminate the true nature of cinema, we have created a piece that occasionally "stumbles" visually and in this "stumbling" the viewer becomes aware, as French semantic Philosopher Jacque Derrida did within the confines of text, of the "difference" (pronunciation - differance).

In this project we have learnt, that the point of view of the consumer is mitigated by directorial vision and that as in any power relationship it is neither benign or didactic.

Thanks.

I'm with you, Bad. I have a lot of trouble watching my films with anyone else -- even my cast. Whenever I've been at a public screening of my films / episodes, I've been known to slink off and engage the beer girl in conversation, or study the architecture in the lobby. When I've had to speak, I've dreaded it right up until the part where I open my mouth, and then suddenly I can BS with the best of them, and then it's done and I find the beer girl again...

Public speaking, I don't mind. Public speaking about something I've created, which will be judged by a roomful of people, I get skittish about. It's natural. Just remember: how many other people in that room made a film? You're already a step ahead of most of them, so speak like you have a right to be there, because you do.

Best of luck!

hehehe just a lil reminder i'm still in highschool (for the next three weeks anyway :D )so i really don't have to be too perfect or whatever, room for error allowed!!! but THANX, you've all be helpful and very encouraging, makes me feel a tad bit better (even though my heart will be in my throat once they hit play *meep*) i guess i'm gonna have to try and get used to peopla actually watching my films!! THANX again and clive i think i'm gonna actually show my teacher that speech and see her reaction ;)

Hmm.. maybe something like this:

"I really don't feel that I have much to say about the film you are about to watch.. I was pressured into speaking today, and feel that the film should speak for itself, after all if it doesn't is it truely a film that was worth the effort put forth to produce it?"

Interestingly enough, it would seem that 9 of 10 films from the Hollywood Mainstream as of late could answer a resounding NO to that question.. but I digress.

Clive - you are one funny man! :D

People have an innate fear of exposing who they really are to the world. Everyone does to some degree. That's why it's so hard to let others read your writing or watch your film - the fear that this thing you have poured your heart and soul into will be rejected, and consequently, you by default. Best thing to do is just go for it :) If you haven't ever read the book "The Alchemist" now might be a good time to do so!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

--- Frank Herbert

ah more good advici (i'm now brimming full of it).... ah gotta go mor praise for you guys later :D <=i'm really liking this emoticon

Bad Haircut,

Congratulations!!!

From what I glean from your posts, you've got a great personality-the first few minutes of your presentation might be a little frightful for you, but they'll fall in love with you and your work. Your success will only grow! :)

Bird

Do what I do when speaking in front of a crowd ... ACT REAL NERVOUS!!! People eat that up ... I mean it, bumble your lines ... sweat profusely ... pee in your pants ... peeing in your pants is the coolest!

Poke

Thank you all once again! well tonight is the night, my stomach's churning and my heart is in my mouth. the prospect of my little film being seen by more than a class of 10 (and that was scary enough) is kinda FREAKING ME OUT!!!! but with all this good advice how can i not go there tonight and only pass out one :D well thanx again and i'll tell you all what happens!!!

Poke said:
Do what I do when speaking in front of a crowd ... ACT REAL NERVOUS!!!
People eat that up ... I mean it, bumble your lines ... sweat profusely ... pee in your pants ... peeing in your pants is the coolest!
is it cool because everybody your age is doing it? well then i guess it must be cool :D

how'd it go? it wasn't as bad as you thought now was it? sorry i didn't barrage you with some advice of my own before the night, i only just discovered the thread... but what i was going to say, is from what I have picked up from Bri is that you are quiet similar to her, which means you have a personality an audience loves to see up in front. anyway, hope things went well. rock on

hehehe thanx dimp paddy
well the night wasn't too bad :D the only injuries i have is this big ol' bump in my chest where my heart jumped out, but other than that nothing.
before anything happened that night i had a bit of a freak out, and a bit of a whinge to my film teacher... then i saw the look on her face and told her to toss down a couple more wines :P
i only said a few lines, but still somehow managed to stuff those up. and then when i pressed play my heart was beating a mile a minute and then there was this really long pause. i mean a really long pause (which only prolonged my suffering) then it started. my hands were sweating profusely and i was slinking lower and lower in my seat.
then it ended and then a little girl sitting next to me looked up and said "that was pretty good" and that made me laugh and then i felt better (still a little freaked, but better). hehehe so i guess crisis over until next time. i've survived and i would like to say THANX TO ALL OF YOU... then god because it is the fashionable thing to do!!!

Back