I am not sure which software to get.. for video editing

So i am all planning to make my first short movie

but not too sure on which video editing software i should get.

I read somewhere in this forum that there is a software that has a PLUGIN that will allow me to compress the video, edit it and later on render the original quality on its own.

This way i can do the editing easily and render the original file later on. I do not remember the name of the software.

Does anyone has any idea?

I strongly recommend Adobe Premiere for editing.
You even can color corrections in it.
I have been using it for last 12 years.
I also tried FCP, Vegas and few more but Premiere is easiest, supports wide imp-exp formats.
It can run on low config machine too. Only thing it will take more time to render.

thanks for the responses...

Is there any FREE non-linear video editing software for windows?

And if there are any blender users here, how does blender stacks up as a compositing tool? Can it be a good alternative to Adobe After Effects?

You won't have any luck with Free softwares!

Get the Adobe Production Premium CS5.5, which has everything you need!
If you are a student, you can get it for a very very very cheap price!

thanks for the responses...

Is there any FREE non-linear video editing software for windows?

And if there are any blender users here, how does blender stacks up as a compositing tool? Can it be a good alternative to Adobe After Effects?

Blender is a 3d modeling program; Its basically an open source version of 3ds max or maya; not after effects; they have different purposes.

And I recently found about this NLE recently.
http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Its in beta so it probably has some bugs, but apparently The King's Speech was edited on this and its totally free! I haven't used it yet but I'm gonna try it out sometime.

Most seem to think that Adobe Creative Suite is the best. I have only tried that so far, so can't speak for the others. I hear it has more features then the rest though, accept for taking a longer amount of time. Do you just want an editing program only, cause you will need a sound program to edit and mix sound for your short as well.

I love Premiere. Kicks ass!

However, for a first-time filmmaker, it's probably not a great idea to spend a bunch of cash up-front. Sony Vegas has a couple options beneath $100, and HD Studio is a solid piece of software.

So i am all planning to make my first short movie

By your first short movie, does it mean you are director for the first time, while you've been actor or DP before? or have you been making other videos before, but never a narrative? or do you have completely no experience with filmmaking what so ever?

Because if you've no experience what so ever, and you are just making this video for fun, my suggestion would be to just use windows movie maker.

Going straight to Adobe Creative Suit might be quite a jump. Not to mention the cost of buying creative suite. I personally went from Windows Movie Maker, to iMovie, to Coreal Video Studio, and then finally to FCP and Adobe about 3 years ago.

If you have some experience and is happy with the investment, then by all means, go and buy Creative Suite.

Vegas is the easiest and most powerful with both editing and specqil effects in one package. I have older versions of Final Cut and Premiere as well as Vegas.

Vegas is the All-In-One-Wonder for editing.

Windows MovieMaker is for free. It comes with Windows. See how far that gets you. Blender is for free.

See if you can get Sound Forge thrown in with a package deal with Vegas. Some times you can.

Last edited:
People can argue ease all day long, it's relative. As far as being the most powerful, especially for special effects, simply not true.

Do you have the desire to learn to edit? It's an art. Don't overlook hiring an editor.

True, Inferno systems are the most powerful for special effects and what the studios use.

Agreed. Hire an editor, if you are starting out. But, make sure you slate and log all of your footage to match your script. Otherwise, you won't hear the end of it from your editor.

True, Inferno systems are the most powerful for special effects and what the studios use.

Agreed. Hire an editor, if you are starting out. But, make sure you slate and log all of your footage to match your script. Otherwise, you won't hear the end of it from your editor.

Um... guys... your advice is all well and good... but here we have a guy making his first short movie, asking what FREE software he can use to edit. Somehow, i don't think he'll be able to afford to hire an editor.

Thought to OP, they are good advice to keep in mind for future reference should you really get into filmmaking.

Back