• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

vfx I am dumbfounded on how to make a transparent background for my AE text title!

Hello all! Me again. First of all I'd like to thank each and every single one of you on my last post to help me achieve my goals, they have been accomplished thanks to your suggestions so thank you again.

Next, I face my next problem that I cannot seem to overcome no matter how many nights of youtubing and googling. I follow every instruction by the book and I still cannot seem to get a transparent background on my After Effects Saber text that I can throw ontop of my existing video.

It always ends up like the first photo. Black background. And I want it over my second photo, the video background.
Third photo is my Saber settings in AE and it shows it's a transparent background..
Fourth photo is my Saber render settings in AE and the Quicktime + RGB + Alpha selection is selected as instructed...
Fifth photo is my Vegas Pro settings that some suggest I try which is changing my Alpha Channel to Predetermined...

I am still faced with a solid black background on my Saber AE text over my Vegas Pro video.

I am stumped. I am dumbfounded. I hope there is an obvious solution that I am missing but since I'm quite new at this, I am looking to you guys for more help.
thank you so much.

Attachments

• feelgoodhelp1.png
    feelgoodhelp1.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 212
  • feelgoodhelp2.png
    feelgoodhelp2.png
    536.9 KB · Views: 78
  • feelgoodhelp3.png
    feelgoodhelp3.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 81
  • feelgoodhelp4.png
    feelgoodhelp4.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 80
  • feelgoodhelp5.png
    feelgoodhelp5.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 77
I don't know Vegas Pro but I suspect the problem is with it not being able to read the quicktime file correctly. From what you've explained above, the file seems to be saving properly with the alpha channel, but Vegas is not reading it properly. Others on-line are having the exact same problem and there doesn't seem to be a good answer. Some say you should reinstall Quicktime. Some say maybe your copy of Vegas is old or not complete.

I would try going back to After Effects and saving the title sequence again but this time, save it as .TIF files with an alpha channel. AE should number the images sequentially; picture001.tif, picture002.tif..... When you import the sequence into Vegas, you will choose the first image. Somewhere on the import screen there should be a check box or switch to tell the program you are importing an image sequence instead of just a single image. Once imported, Vegas will treat the images as a video file and you should have your alpha.

Last edited:
The above is almost correct, but you can use .PNG files (make sure you enable alpha on the output module) and it will accomplish the same thing at a fraction of the file size for your frames. Basically all encoded video streams except for prores, which is frequently problematic on pc, have tons of problems with transparencies, so an image sequence is the way to go. Tiff files in 4k can be up to 25 meg per frame for some reason, making them very difficult to edit with because of hard drive bottleneck on playback.

The thing about large file on the time line, yes, they can cause a system to bog down. Vegas pro, like all good editing programs, allow you to use proxy files for editing. That is to say, you can tell Vegas to automatically create proxy files which are much smaller in size. The program uses the proxy files for editing, color correction, transitions, and everything else. You can even switch between proxy mode and normal mode anytime you want to compare the proxy to the original.. When you decide to export your timeline video to a finished,single file, the program will automatically apply all of your changes and transitions to the original footage and use it for the export. So, you see, you could actually use any size files you want on the timeline, using proxies, everything will play smoothly..

Tiffs have some advantages over PNG. PNGs can be smaller but they are more basic than TIFFs. PNGs have some popularity on the internet because they have an alpha channel but, as far as I know from personal experience and from every book I have, TIFFs are the choice of professionals since they do more than just offer an alpha channel and losseless compression. They offer layers, greater color depth and a variety of lossless compressors to choose from. The true is that, for your application, either will work just fine. There is no "almost correct" about it. They both work.

Last edited:
I don't know Vegas Pro but I suspect the problem is with it not being able to read the quicktime file correctly. From what you've explained above, the file seems to be saving properly with the alpha channel, but Vegas is not reading it properly. Others on-line are having the exact same problem and there doesn't seem to be a good answer. Some say you should reinstall Quicktime. Some say maybe your copy of Vegas is old or not complete.

I would try going back to After Effects and saving the title sequence again but this time, save it as .TIF files with an alpha channel. AE should number the images sequentially; picture001.tif, picture002.tif..... When you import the sequence into Vegas, you will choose the first image. Somewhere on the import screen there should be a check box or switch to tell the program you are importing an image sequence instead of just a single image. Once imported, Vegas will treat the images as a video file and you should have your alpha.

Thank you so much! I would not have figured that out on my own. Problem solved, you guys rock!!

The above is almost correct, but you can use .PNG files (make sure you enable alpha on the output module) and it will accomplish the same thing at a fraction of the file size for your frames. Basically all encoded video streams except for prores, which is frequently problematic on pc, have tons of problems with transparencies, so an image sequence is the way to go. Tiff files in 4k can be up to 25 meg per frame for some reason, making them very difficult to edit with because of hard drive bottleneck on playback.

Thank you as well so much! I found a better time using the png over the tiff but I have no idea how to properly optimize tiff so I went with the easier approach. You guys rock!!

Back