How would you revolutionize cinema?

So, lets face it. A lot of us are on here because we hope to make it big in cinema and whether we say it out loud or deep withiin the back of our heads, we're always believing that we'll some how figure out how to break away from conventions and create something new and original.

So my question is how will you revolutionize and really change cinema?

1.Cut out 3-D... It's awful and looks terrible.

2.Shoot everything in Digital.

3.Make polarizing films, that some despise and find offensive, and others LOVE. (Hopefully, more love than hate.)

4.Encourage improvisational dialogue... One of my goals in the far-future is to make a high budget movie that is entirely improvised.

5.Have sex with Zooey Deschanel on camera.... whether the plot calls for it or not!

I would want to shoot a move deep focus, like Citizen Kane or The Big Heat. So many movies nowadays, the cameraman will rack focus from one person to another, even though they are only a couple of feet away. What's the point really? Deep focus is a better version of 3D in my opinion.

Also make movies about themes are not often tackled.

Smell-o-Vision!

But seriously, I want to keep it simple. By making quality films that even I would want to see.

Bring back Ma & Pop theaters!! Make them interactive. Get people to love the theater again and make it more personal as well as more affordable.

This is a great question, and I look forward to hearing more people's answers.

I'll be completely honest, though -- I don't want to revolutionize cinema. I like it just the way it is. My biggest hopes/aspirations are only to make movies as compelling and entertaining to watch as those that are currently being made by my favorite directors. And I want to do so by using the same storytelling techniques that they do. :)

This one's going to sound stupid, but variable pricing for admission tickets. Not all movies are alike. Not all movies are worth the same admission price.

Day and date releases for multiple windows.

Fair, reasonable and straight forward film distribution.

I have an idea for a future where in the theaters, one can go and watch multiple short movies..say between 20 and 40 minutes each. They would be high quality of course. I think that would bring some variety and encourage more people to go to the theaters.

And of course, since this is the future, the experience will somehow be personalized and you can choose which movies you want to see and what not to. Not sure how this would work but its fun to think about.

I have an idea for a future where in the theaters, one can go and watch multiple short movies..say between 20 and 40 minutes each. They would be high quality of course. I think that would bring some variety and encourage more people to go to the theaters.

Like TV?

I don't have any revolutionary ideas but I'd like to see the end of popcorn. I would also be keen to see more serious films, rather than just action movies, shot in IMAX.

As stated before, holography. I would also provide theatres that sell good, low-budget movies for less than $10 a ticket. Last, but perhaps not least, I would provide big-tent movies that tell really good stories.

Just about every theme has been covered, but many of them are not well-told.

This one's going to sound stupid, but variable pricing for admission tickets. Not all movies are alike. Not all movies are worth the same admission price.
Not stupid at all. This was tried for many years here in Los
Angeles. An entire chain offered smaller, independent movies
for lower ticket prices. Nice theaters, excellent projection and
sound. Very few people went so they offered a “loss leader” -
a big studio film in one of their houses hoping that would draw
people to pay for popcorn and soda and, if sold out, go see
something else. Soon only one house was showing an independent
film.

Here in L.A. there used to be second run theaters - after a few
weeks or a month movies would move to these houses where
the ticket price was 50/70% less than the first run theaters.
These, too, have all gone because of home video.

Just about everyday, all across the world there is a film festival
showing several programs of short films - high quality of course.
And no one is in the theaters except the filmmakers and their
friends. I have found that even makers of short films don’t go
see them. Nick is right - today we have access to multiple short
movies, say between 20 and 40 minutes each, on TV. And
people are staying out of the theaters to watch these on VOD
providers.

And of course, since this is the future, the experience will somehow be personalized and you can choose which movies you want to see and what not to. Not sure how this would work but its fun to think about.
It is fun to think about. I would love to walk into my favorite
theater (the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood) any time and pick
exactly the movie I want to see.

What seems to have worked here in L.A. is the up scale, reserved
seat theater that offers really good “snack” food and even drinks.
That is getting people into the theaters.

I do enjoy going to the theaters that offer full food service and a full bar!! They have a few in Minnesota and they are the best!

Back