How would I go about making this fashion film?

But I'm starting to question how I'm going to get the fashion film made. Right now everything is going to cost 600 pounds of my own money pretty much.

Right now, I'm trying to find someone to alleviate the costs. I approached the fashion designer I wanted to use and said just give me your designs and I'll cover everything else. I don't think I can ask him to pay right now. but looking at it now I think I'll need to get another fashion designer on board to chip in with money. Which may be hard.

Someone else I spoke to said I would be better off making it a short film with fashion elements and then distribute it as a short film rather than a fashion film per se.

Anyone have an ideas on how I could get some kind of funding or help for this?

It's difficult to tell. You're determined to make a fashion film, any fashion film? Again, it's difficult to tell from your post what your goal(s) is. Do you want to do freelance fashion videography, getting paid for it?

If so, it sounds more-or-less like you'll be doing the equivalent of corporate work, or something like wedding and special events video photography.

In any case, if you're determined to make a fashion film, and you're looking for someone to share the cost, you might start out by approaching a fashion designer, perhaps one who, like you, is just trying to get started, and offer your services to make a commercial or a short film featuring their work. That way, there's something in it for them, as there should be.

I wouldn't demand too much from them, though. It's you, after all, asking something from them for your own ends. If you're looking to start a business making fashion films, you might want to just shoulder all of the costs yourself on your first job, if you're a noob with nothing to show prospective clients why they should hire you. Then, if you do a nice job, and, make sure you do do a nice job ;), hopefully others will want to hire you for more fashion films. So, maybe, like a quality wedding videographer, people will pay you to shoot their fashion stuff.

Just guessing, though. Good luck!

TBH the film will end up being more of a short film with a fashion aspect to it. I don't really want to monopolise fashion films but it is an interest of mine. However, I'm not a fan of the typically high concept, high contrast fashion films that I have seen. I prefer more simplistic and minimalist.

Basically, it's going to be a 6 minute short with very little dialogue. The fashion aspect is that the 4 main characters will be wearing the designer's collection.

In terms of where costs will be going...

Bear in mind, I'm not paying people travel expenses and a few of my friends are helping out for free.

£300 for 6 hours location hire (possibly £180 with student discount)
£200 for cinematographer and kit rental
£50 for caterer who will provide food for 25 people
£xx for possible van rental
£xxx? for grader
£xxx? for composer

The last two are dependent on whether I find like minded people to do it for free.

Hmmm usually I work the other way around:
what do I want to do?
What would it cost?
Can I afford it?
And then I try to get everything I need, so I didn't promise someone to make something without knowing the cost.

Have you made any videos before?

For music you can look at stockmusic. It can save you a lot of money.

Is the location that special you need to hire it?
Or can you maybe find a cheaper/free alternative?

certainly can be done, sounds ambitious for a very first short film. 25 people!!

it's hard getting people to show up, hopefully those are mostly extras you can do without.

also practice with your actors and a camera in another location first if possible.. make sure you get all the blocking and lines down, etc you don't want to run over that 6 hours

Hmmm usually I work the other way around:
what do I want to do?
What would it cost?
Can I afford it?
And then I try to get everything I need, so I didn't promise someone to make something without knowing the cost.

Have you made any videos before?

For music you can look at stockmusic. It can save you a lot of money.

Is the location that special you need to hire it?
Or can you maybe find a cheaper/free alternative?

I didn't promise anyone. I just approached a fashion designer about the idea. I have made videos, but not budget involved.

The thing is, I can pretty much cut costs on everything but the idea is dependent on a good location and many people. Otherwise the production value goes way down and I don't see the point of pursuing the same idea. It's a concept that for me, can only work now realistically. So I'm trying my hardest to make it work.

And about extras..yeah it will probably end up being more than 25 people but it's not that hard because I'm at uni now and reckon if I has 50 of my friends to do it at least half will turn up.

Back