How would I do it? (Link to the reference video)

Hello,

I am new in videos. I have Canon T3i with 18-55mm lens. I have couple of question; would be grateful if you give me some insight on these:

In a park, suppose there are leaves of the tree in foreground and there are many trees in background. I want first to focus leaves in the foreground having background trees as blur. Then I want to move the camera and shoot the background tress in focus.

For this:

a) Should I take shot number 1 (of foreground leaves) and then take shot number 2 (of background trees). And then fix that in editing software?

b) Focus and start shooting for foreground leaves then pause and then adjust focus for background trees and resume recording?

c) Or there is another way?

For your reference I have posed the link of the video I shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHamS9D2LEQ&feature=youtu.be

Looking forward for your valuable feedback.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Riz

What you are referring to is called rack focusing. It is when you begin the shot with a foreground or background image in focus, then quickly pull focus to either the foreground or background, depending on what was in focus at first. You certainly could shoot two shots, one with the foreground in focus and one with the background in focus, then cut them together, but I don't think that's what you are aiming for.

Steve, yes, you are right. I want to know how would I shoot that in most basic manner. Rack focusing would come afterward. Please see the video and let me know why the video is jerky? Is that due to hand-held shooting that I did in this video.

In a park, suppose there are leaves of the tree in foreground and there are many trees in background. I want first to focus leaves in the foreground having background trees as blur. Then I want to move the camera and shoot the background tress in focus.
You don't need to move the camera. You first put the leaves in focus, then, while you're still recording, turn the focus ring until the trees are in focus and the leaves are not. Simple as that (though it takes a lot of practice to be really good at.)

Steve, yes, you are right. I want to know how would I shoot that in most basic manner. Rack focusing would come afterward. Please see the video and let me know why the video is jerky? Is that due to hand-held shooting that I did in this video.

Yep, it's jerky because it's handheld. Put it on a tripod or some sort of steady-cam.

What you want is a shallow depth of field.

Wide depth of field (aka - deep focus) = lots of stuff in focus

Shallow depth of field = less stuff in focus

You can achieve a more shallow depth of field by using a lower f-stop, and a longer lens. You're not gonna get an incredibly shallow depth of field with the 18-55 stock lens, but you can get at least a little bit of the effect you're looking for.

Also subject placement is important on cheaper lenses that don't have huge throw. If you're working on a lens that jumps from 12' to inifinity, putting your subject at 10' isn't going to give you great shallow dof around that person (as a reference, the Canon EF f/1.4 50mm has a throw up to 10ft before it hits infinity).

Putting that person at 2 ft, however, will give you a noticeably shallower depth of field.

What you want is a shallow depth of field.

Wide depth of field (aka - deep focus) = lots of stuff in focus

Shallow depth of field = less stuff in focus

You can achieve a more shallow depth of field by using a lower f-stop, and a longer lens. You're not gonna get an incredibly shallow depth of field with the 18-55 stock lens, but you can get at least a little bit of the effect you're looking for.

Everyone has given the same advice and info. CF put it in basic terms. Combine this info with Jax's, manipulating camera-subject-background distance and you'll get the look you want.

Back