• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to write under financial pressure?

Well, I'm not a screenwriter, not getting paid for writing a script. I write in my free time.
Sometimes, I feel like that constant pressure of the lack of money, everyday job, debts and etc - hurts my ability to write something. I guess, most of screenwriters come from high socio-economical status families, where that pressure is weaker, which allows them to relax, to focus, to clear their minds. You can tell me of Silvester Stalone that comes from a poor socio-economical status, with his Rocky script, but this is one of those very rare cases.

So this is something I can't change, but I do need to get used to it somehow. How can I write despite having all of those financial problems? Are there any techniques? Yes, it sounds more like a psychological question, but still...

You have to convince yourself that if you try and fail, you'll be no worse off than you were before. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

"It's whatcha do with whatcha got and never mind how much ya got"

"Hope for the best, work for the rest and never say never again"

Words of wisdom from Don Bluth

Last edited:
Some people take drugs to relieve stress. I think xanax or something is one of those, you could get a prescription although personally not really for me.

Practice meditation.

Write in a different spot just for writing.

It's very difficult to tackle any business venture in your free time when you're working a full time job, balancing life, etc. Puts a lot of pressure on relationships too.

I guess, most of screenwriters come from high socio-economical status families, where that pressure is weaker, which allows them to relax, to focus, to clear their minds.

I don't believe this to be true. At least not the sentiment.

Sure, most Hollywood-produced scripts are written by people who do nothing but write.

But the vast majority of scripts are written by people with day jobs. And some of those people get their scripts produced.

I'm not going to name names, but there is one indietalk member who had recently has tremendous success with his screenwriting. He hasn't yet turned it into a full-time profession, but I predict he will. And he's been able to make that happen, all while holding down a full-time day job.

This is just part of the struggle. Keep your head high, and don't lose sight of your goal! :D

Don't give up!

If your worries really distract from writing at the moment, it could help to tackle your worries first.
Can you do a side job for, let's say, 2 months and make some money to give you some air?

Or train yourself to focus during the moments you scheduled to write.
Just tell your mind: for the next 2, 3 hours we are going to focus on writing only. After that you can chatter around with all the thought you can come up with.

high socio-economical status families?
i',NOT FROM high socio-economical status families
I don't have that pressure too of becoming one
but, like to make money.
I can adopt myself enough to write any kind of stories.
and I rate myself good in generating ideas.
If guy demands something based on one thing, i'm ready there to deliver him that style of story/script successfully.
First I tell him my idea.
later, it gets molded to guys understanding.
I'm happy to leave it to get shaped that way.
and they hand over money.
I take it .
easy.
I can't understand how come directing / acting might become easy for them with that kind of pressure in film making.

I'm happy to be just be part of pre-production, mind my responsibility and deliver it perfectly.

Do director /actor think same wise about me,
oNE of the post -production guy asked these questions below,

how come writers get so many ideas,
and how come writers are capabale of building personality to characters on paper like that?
How come ,writers are capable of watching movie in their mind before it gets on reel !!
wont , so many characters confuse you , while they talk in your head !!?

yes, these characters talk a lot and needs reply too, so these characters emerge to turn in to some kind of personalities(with kind of response they give to writer's reply in mind !!)

take it cool.
deliver what they demand and fuck off from there.
they get satisfied , everybody gets satisfied.

1. Sometimes, I feel like that constant pressure of the lack of money, everyday job, debts and etc - hurts my ability to write something.
  2. I guess, most of screenwriters come from high socio-economical status families, where that pressure is weaker, which allows them to relax, to focus, to clear their minds.
  3. How can I write despite having all of those financial problems? Are there any techniques? Yes, it sounds more like a psychological question, but still...
  • First - Are you writing to direct & produce or writing to sell? Sounds like you're in near-dire financial straights, hope you're not writing to direct/produce/market. You have no money to do any of this. Sounds like you're in near-dire financial straights, hope you don't plan on selling a spec script before you starve to death. So, just write a d@mn story. :yes:
  • What two genres of films do you find yourself seeking and watching the most of?
  • Can you write for either or both of those genres?
  • You sound desperate. Are you desperate enough to commit a crime? What crime would you commit? Theft? Murder? Those are interesting. People pay money to watch those stories. Relatively cheap to make, too.
  • What would have to happen to you to push you right over the edge of reasonable into the desperate world of crime?
  • Is there a sex angle in your life or you can introduce to complicate your situation? Your girl? Your boss' girl? Your client's girl? Is the girl both the solution AND the problem?

1. Think of a f*cked up situation. This is your stating point.
  2. Make it worse.
  3. What's your one chance to salvage this f*cked up sitch - and almost lose it.
  4. What do you have to do to bail your @ss out? Step 1, step 2, step 3...
  5. When you almost have what you want or just as soon as you get what you want what'll f*ckitup fairly bad? This is your "Oh, no!"
  6. Fix it.
  7. Then throw in the whole kitchen sink to really make a FUBAR disaster from it. This is your "Total loss", darkest hour, when a sensible man just quits.
  8. Now, solve your new problem.
  9. When this pig goes through the grinder do you get everything you hope for? A happy ending? You get the MacGuffin and the girl? Or just the girl? Or just the MacGuffin? Does your girl get the MacGuffin and you die a hero? Or a sap? Does everybody die?
Act I
Act II, Part I
Act II, Part II
Act II

20130320TwoConstraintThreeActStructure-2013-CompactforShortStories_zpsa18d6760.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O6ZwmdSU-41RtoCRC9cigIq_auYVUKfqgSrBA-ny82s/edit#gid=0

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=49444

What's your story?
How desperate are you?
What would it take to make you do something actually interesting?
And then f*ckitup!
And just as soon as you fix it - f*ckitup EVEN WORSE!

Ta-da! Story.

Some people take drugs to relieve stress. I think xanax or something is one of those, you could get a prescription although personally not really for me.

I'm not using drugs. Well, smoke weed sometimes. That's it. I know weed helps handle pressure and focus, but it's illegal and expensive.
There is also Retalin, but it's not easy to get permission for it, because people do drugs with it too.

Can you do a side job for, let's say, 2 months and make some money to give you some air?

I need a really high payed job for that

• First - Are you writing to direct & produce or writing to sell? Sounds like you're in near-dire financial straights, hope you're not writing to direct/produce/market. You have no money to do any of this. Sounds like you're in near-dire financial straights, hope you don't plan on selling a spec script before you starve to death. So, just write a d@mn story. :yes:
  • What two genres of films do you find yourself seeking and watching the most of?
  • Can you write for either or both of those genres?
  • You sound desperate. Are you desperate enough to commit a crime? What crime would you commit? Theft? Murder? Those are interesting. People pay money to watch those stories. Relatively cheap to make, too.
  • What would have to happen to you to push you right over the edge of reasonable into the desperate world of crime?
  • Is there a sex angle in your life or you can introduce to complicate your situation? Your girl? Your boss' girl? Your client's girl? Is the girl both the solution AND the problem?

1. Think of a f*cked up situation. This is your stating point.
  2. Make it worse.
  3. What's your one chance to salvage this f*cked up sitch - and almost lose it.
  4. What do you have to do to bail your @ss out? Step 1, step 2, step 3...
  5. When you almost have what you want or just as soon as you get what you want what'll f*ckitup fairly bad? This is your "Oh, no!"
  6. Fix it.
  7. Then throw in the whole kitchen sink to really make a FUBAR disaster from it. This is your "Total loss", darkest hour, when a sensible man just quits.
  8. Now, solve your new problem.
  9. When this pig goes through the grinder do you get everything you hope for? A happy ending? You get the MacGuffin and the girl? Or just the girl? Or just the MacGuffin? Does your girl get the MacGuffin and you die a hero? Or a sap? Does everybody die?
Act I
Act II, Part I
Act II, Part II
Act II

20130320TwoConstraintThreeActStructure-2013-CompactforShortStories_zpsa18d6760.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O6ZwmdSU-41RtoCRC9cigIq_auYVUKfqgSrBA-ny82s/edit#gid=0

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=49444

What's your story?
How desperate are you?
What would it take to make you do something actually interesting?
And then f*ckitup!
And just as soon as you fix it - f*ckitup EVEN WORSE!

Ta-da! Story.

Well, I do have a story. More than one. My problem is not the lack of ideas, it's the pressure - can't focus on what I need RIGHT NOW, and thinking of the problems around. The same effect can do the problems with relationship.

Well, I do have a story. More than one. My problem is not the lack of ideas, it's the pressure - can't focus on what I need RIGHT NOW, and thinking of the problems around. The same effect can do the problems with relationship.
You're wanting to fight. :yes:
That's great! Shows you have energy and not depression. Fantastic. Love it. We got something to work with.

Are you writing to direct/produce/market or writing for a spec sale?

You're wanting to fight. :yes:
That's great! Shows you have energy and not depression. Fantastic. Love it. We got something to work with.

Are you writing to direct/produce/market or writing for a spec sale?

Both.
I'm writing 2 scripts
1 - a short film script (10 min) to direct
2 - a feature length spec script to sell

Plus, I already have a written spec script, but I want to rewrite it the way that it will turn into a comedy/dramedy (it doesn't work as drama). But that's for latest priority.

I guess, most of screenwriters come from high socio-economical status families, where that pressure is weaker, which allows them to relax, to focus, to clear their minds.
You begin with an incorrect premise – that most beginning writers
come from high socio-economic families so they are free from worry.
That gives you the foundation to find reasons to NOT write. Even if
that were true (and it's not true) it's irrelevant to you. Then you look
for techniques. As if there are any.

You can sit and write for one hour every day. You can. But will you?
Not when you look for reasons NOT to write. Writers write. If you
don't write – for any reason – you are not a writer. Anyone who looks
at the challenges as a block is not a writer. Yes, that's harsh. You
expected writing to be easy?

What if you were to do the research and find that most writers struggled
with financial problems before selling their first script? Would that help
you write everyday for one hour? What if I were to do that research for
you? If I could prove that Stallone wasn't one of those rare exceptions
would that take away your financial worries and get you writing?

Plus, I already have a written spec script, but I want to rewrite it the way that it will turn into a comedy/dramedy (it doesn't work as drama). But that's for latest priority.
Fantastic.
Don't waste limited brain power on it.
Don't put it on the back burner.
Get it off the d@mn stove.

Moooooovin' right along...

Both.
I'm writing 2 scripts
1 - a short film script (10 min) to direct
2 - a feature length spec script to sell
Excellent!
1 - You won't make any money off of a short, but I can guarantee you that you will spend money and time (which has an opportunity cost associated with it) to direct/produce/market that short.
Not a good money maker.
Great money spender, actually.
Screwit.
Skip diddling around with the short.
You'll get it done, shoot & edit it, and then so-effing-what. Who cares? Quit wasting time with stupid shorts.

2 - As long as you know that your one spec script will be competing in a pool of about five-hundred-thousand other feature length spec screenplays for payment (screw production - someone else's prob) and can eek by without starving to death on one that 1/500,000 chance you'll get paid $500 - 50,000 then you're good.

Go with the feature length spec script. At least you won't be wasting money, only time, on it.

Since it's a spec script does it follow a marketable three act structure?
What percentage of complete would you say your screenplay is, or at what developmental stage?
What's the market, genre, and likely production budget range for this story?
Who would spend that budget to produce and market it? Who would buy it when you complete it?
90-110 pages, right?

What if you were to do the research and find that most writers struggled
with financial problems before selling their first script? Would that help
you write everyday for one hour? What if I were to do that research for
you? If I could prove that Stallone wasn't one of those rare exceptions
would that take away your financial worries and get you writing?

If that is so, then be it. But the fact remains, that financial problems DO make it more difficult.
This is the obstacle. My question is how to overcome it.
Not because it stops me to write, but because I'm afraid it can drop the quality of what I write.
Anything related to creativity should be done with focus and a clear mind. Don't you agree?

Fantastic.
Since it's a spec script does it follow a marketable three act structure?
What percentage of complete would you say your screenplay is, or at what developmental stage?
What's the market, genre, and likely production budget range for this story?
Who would spend that budget to produce and market it? Who would buy it when you complete it?
90-110 pages, right?

Well, I always keep up with the 3 act structure.

Are you talking about the one that is ready, or the one I'm writing now?

If it's about the one that is ready, than it supposed to be a "spirit uplifting" story, like Rocky.
If it's about the one that I'm writing, than it is similar to Monte-Cristo.

Budget range? hm... How should I know? Hollywood spends millions on their films, while, for example, Europeans spend less, ans still make good films.

It's 120 pages.

Well, I always keep up with the 3 act structure.
Perfect.

Are you talking about the one that is ready, or the one I'm writing now?
You don't have one ready.
You have one that you're eventually going to rewrite (bird in hand) - so you're taking it off the stove top to focus on the one you're thinking of completing (two in the bush.)

If it's about the one that is ready, than it supposed to be a "spirit uplifting" story, like Rocky.
You're ditching this one. Quit thinking about it. Stay on task.
Do one thing and do it very well.

If it's about the one that I'm writing, than it is similar to Monte-Cristo.
Great.
What the genre of Monte-Cristo?
Who is the audience for that?

20120213FilmDemographicQuadrants1.png

Budget range? hm... How should I know?
You need to know if you're writing a $1M movie, a $10M movie, or a $30M movie.
What are the three films made within the last twenty years that it's like?
If filmed I would see WHAT-A, WHAT-B, and WHAT-C marketed with it?

Hollywood spends millions on their films, while, for example, Europeans spend less, ans still make good films.
Valid point.
What three European films would we see marketed alongside the one you're thinking of spec writing?

It's 120 pages.
A wee fat, but close enough.
Your agent will likely have you rewrite it, but that's of course expected.

What screenwriting editing program are you using?

But the fact remains, that financial problems DO make it more difficult.
This is the obstacle. My question is how to overcome it.
Of course it's difficult. I'll ask again; do you expect writing to be
easy? You overcome it by thinking of what you CAN do not of
what you can't do.
Not because it stops me to write, but because I'm afraid it can drop the quality of what I write.
Anything related to creativity should be done with focus and a clear mind. Don't you agree?
No. I don't agree. I'm a writer. I write. If you're a writer you will
write. There is no "should" except you should write every day.
And (I guess) you "should" always be afraid your writing can drop
in quality. That's why you write every day. And you rewrite.

I was homeless for seven months. Lived out of my VW. I took
a manual typewriter to the park and wrote. Every day. That year
I made less than $6,000 - total. I wrote every day. Perhaps that's
why I am not sympathetic to your challenge. I'm not special. I'm
not exceptionally talented. I didn't come from a high socio-economic
family. I dropped out of high school. But I wrote every day. I'm
not famous. I'm not today at a high socio-economic level. But I
make my sole living doing what I love - and a big part of that is
writing. And that's because I didn't let my financial troubles affect
my writing. If you can't - you can't. There is no technique.

Or...

You can lose focus because of your family's socio-economic status
and your financial problems and not write. You can not write because
your financial worries drops the quality of what you write. There are
many very good, very real reasons to NOT write. You are finding them.

When you find the few and difficult reasons to write you will write.

What screenwriting editing program are you using?

I can answer only half of those questions.

What do you mean screenwriting editing program? You mean software, like CeltX? No, I don't use any of them. And I see no reasons to.

Of course it's difficult. I'll ask again; do you expect writing to be
easy? You overcome it by thinking of what you CAN do not of
what you can't do.

No. I don't agree. I'm a writer. I write. If you're a writer you will
write. There is no "should" except you should write every day.
And (I guess) you "should" always be afraid your writing can drop
in quality. That's why you write every day. And you rewrite.

I was homeless for seven months. Lived out of my VW. I took
a manual typewriter to the park and wrote. Every day. That year
I made less than $6,000 - total. I wrote every day. Perhaps that's
why I am not sympathetic to your challenge. I'm not special. I'm
not exceptionally talented. I didn't come from a high socio-economic
family. I dropped out of high school. But I wrote every day. I'm
not famous. I'm not today at a high socio-economic level. But I
make my sole living doing what I love - and a big part of that is
writing. And that's because I didn't let my financial troubles affect
my writing. If you can't - you can't. There is no technique.

Or...

You can lose focus because of your family's socio-economic status
and your financial problems and not write. You can not write because
your financial worries drops the quality of what you write. There are
many very good, very real reasons to NOT write. You are finding them.

When you find the few and difficult reasons to write you will write.

Fair enough :)

What do you mean screenwriting editing program? You mean software, like CeltX? No, I don't use any of them. And I see no reasons to.

Uhh, well you should. Formatting is important. If you're trying to sell a script, formatting can be one of the first things to turn your script off from someone whom you might want to read it (or so I hear). On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you're someone like me, who only writes stuff that they plan to shoot themselves, then formatting isn't a huge concern. But it still needs to be readable, both for people you might seek to critique, and of course for the actors.

Point being, as a bare minimum, your script should be at least somewhat close to the commonly accepted formatting style. Celtx makes that really easy to adhere to. Writing in Celtx, vs. writing in Microsoft Word (or any other standard writing software), there's just no comparison. The simple convenience of Celtx is brilliant. Writing in software intended for your specific purpose just makes things a breeze.

Back