• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How To Write A Micro Budget Sci-Fi Feature Film

Guys,

I really want to write a screenplay for a micro budget feature film, the trouble is I want it to be a Sci-Fi and that genre brings about all kinds of glossy/SFX expectations. Do you think it's possible to write a micro budget (as in 50-150k) Sci-Fi that is cinema worthy?

Also can you think of famous examples of others who've done the same?

Many thanks :)

Do you think it's possible to write a micro budget (as in 50-150k) Sci-Fi that is cinema worthy?

Not impossible, maybe ... but certainly at least extremely difficult. Of course, that depends on what you mean by Sci-Fi, as others have said, you might mean basically a straight forward drama with some Sci-Fi elements. It also depends on what you mean by "cinema worthy". Good enough for a cinema screening at a lower tier film festival or good enough to meet the expectations of the cinema going paying public?

G

You should check out this TED talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/martin_villeneuve_how_i_made_an_impossible_film.html

"Filmmaker Martin Villeneuve talks about Mars et Avril, the Canadian sci-fi spectacular he made with virtually no money. In a charming talk, he explains the various ways he overcame financial and logistical constraints to produce his unique and inventive vision of the future."

I'm going to be watching this video a lot more, so thanks. :)

If I may say, many people in business are forever trying to get freebies, and the trick is to have the social skills and social knowledge to treat others with respect and not to take advantage of them, because that can bounce back against the person.

Martin Villeneuve seems to have the knack to ask for something without payment, and he presumably paid them back somehow, perhaps, as he says, by giving them space to dream. That's a good approach. :)

"So, I want to tell you, if you have some crazy ideas in your mind, and that people tell you that it's impossible to make, well, that's an even better reason to want to do it. Because people have a tendency to see the problems rather than the final result. Whereas, if you start to deal with the problems as being your allies rather than your opponents ...life will start to dance with you in the most amazing way." - Martin Villeneuve

I really like this man's perspective. I think this philosophy can be applied to most anything in life. I know I feel the same way regarding writing a Screenplay. ...Unfortunately far to many highly creative people (many on this website) get lost in the labyrinth of life's problems and it prevents them from ever reaching their goals.

-Birdman

Back