• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How To Write A Micro Budget Sci-Fi Feature Film

Guys,

I really want to write a screenplay for a micro budget feature film, the trouble is I want it to be a Sci-Fi and that genre brings about all kinds of glossy/SFX expectations. Do you think it's possible to write a micro budget (as in 50-150k) Sci-Fi that is cinema worthy?

Also can you think of famous examples of others who've done the same?

Many thanks :)

Two obvious examples that jump to mind are Monsters and Primer. The guy who did Monsters had experience in VFX prior to making the movie, and applied his skills to make the film look like a professional genre piece while keeping it way under budget (since he could do it himself). If you don't have the time/skills to do VFX yourself, you should take a look at Primer. It's a time travel movie that was made for about $7,000 and won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance.

The thing about Sci Fi is, it really doesn't HAVE to have all that "glossy/FX" stuff that people associate with it. Consider Primer, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, About Time, Upstream Color... You don't really need a big budget and flashy effects to be Sci Fi, you just need a solid (and out there) premise.

This past summer I directed my first feature film for $15,000 (we're currently fundraising on Kickstarter to get another $12,000 for post production), and it was a sci-fi/fantasy film. Our whole budget was equipment rental and catering, with nominal fees going to cast and crew (who were really losing money to work on the project). The trick was that our idea was high concept and sci-fi, but it didn't require anything more than your average indie film. The premise was: when you go to sleep, another personality wakes up in your place. All that we needed for that execution were talented enough actors to pull of playing two roles, and we were able to find some pretty amazing actors.

Here's the trailer if you're curious about our results: http://youtu.be/guyyg_ZQt8k
And here's the Kickstarter if you want to find out more (we're still fundraising through December 29th): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasmerrin/sleepwalkers-feature-film

Good luck!

Jason

IIRC the actual budget of monsters was closer to 500k.

The thing about Sci Fi is, it really doesn't HAVE to have all that "glossy/FX" stuff that people associate with it. Consider Primer, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, About Time, Upstream Color... You don't really need a big budget and flashy effects to be Sci Fi, you just need a solid (and out there) premise.
agreed

Thanks Jason,

I'll definitely check out Primer. Your trailer looks very well done I'm surprised you made a whole feature for that budget. On past projects a huge chunk of the costs went on locations and transport but Time Travelling is a good shout!

I'll get to scribbling some initial ideas and will tweet your campaign as a thanks

Do you think it's possible to write a micro budget (as in 50-150k) Sci-Fi that is cinema worthy?
What are your production resources?

Have you access to all the hardware and software to produce a feature?
Will you please link us to projects you've already completed? Youtube/Vimeo? IMDB?

Were you planning on spending that 50-150k just on principal photography, or does that include theatrical cinema audio or marketing and promotion?

Or were you hoping you'd be able to get a film accepted into one of the top two or three film festivals and a distributor would pick up the tab for marketing and promotion?

Do you think it's possible to write a micro budget (as in 50-150k) Sci-Fi that is cinema worthy?

Are you sure Sci-Fi needs to be glossy and have a lot of SFX?
I think Zen is correct – you're hobbling yourself with preconceived
notions. Today greenscreen and CGI effects are more accessible
than ever before. But a Sci-Fi story doesn't need to rely on them.

Look at “Moon”.

I say yes, it is possible to write a micro-budget Sci-Fi that is
cinema worthy.

Let's go way back to “Dark Star”. Not a great film but “cinema
worthy” in its day and a career launcher. And very low budget.

What does “Sci-Fi” mean to you?

Take a look at the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still." Yes, there are a few visual effects - primitive by todays standards but pretty cool for 1951 - but is not the effects-fest that the 2008 version was. (As an aside, I didn't care for the remake.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpSXI8_UpY

The "Twilight Zone" series has quite a few very low-tech sci-fi stories as well.

Films are about people; the sci-fi is merely a setting.

Take a look at the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still." Yes, there are a few visual effects - primitive by todays standards but pretty cool for 1951 - but is not the effects-fest that the 2008 version was. (As an aside, I didn't care for the remake.)

I have the most sincere, deepest respect for this movie. The special effects and structure were excellent for its time period. ...The Keanu Reeves remake was a complete embarrassment.

-Birdman

Are you sure Sci-Fi needs to be glossy and have a lot of SFX? ...
Today greenscreen and CGI effects are more accessible than ever before. But a Sci-Fi story doesn't need to rely on them...

What does “Sci-Fi” mean to you?
Films are about people; the sci-fi is merely a setting.
Agreed.

A recent trend in scifi (which I do not care for, myself) is the the "very light on the science and fantasy" story.
  • The Adjustment Bureau. Not exactly a CGI bonanza. Just a few little trick shots here and there.
  • Never Let Me Go. Only the suggestion of sci fi. There's no actual cool anything at all too look at. Just drama - with "clones!" Sigh...
  • Limitless. Magic pills and a cabal of controllers and masterminds.
  • Inception. Monster actor, location, and action budgets aside it's pretty much just a bunch of regular people with a magic machine that lets others into your dreams. (Yeah, there's some pretty expensive CGI and a set or two in there, but largely... it's a actiony drama show.)
  • The Source Code. Actiony drama, again. Oh, and there's a semi-comatose para-corpse in a box. Ooo! Ahh! It's science fiction! Pfft.

Whaddayawannado?

Last edited:
Agreed.

A recent trend in scifi (which I do not care for, myself) is the the "very light on the science and fantasy" story.
  • The Adjustment Bureau. Not exactly a CGI bonanza. Just a few little trick shots here and there.
  • Never Let Me Go. Only the suggestion of sci fi. There's no actual cool anything at all too look at. Just drama - with "clones!" Sigh...
  • Limitless. Magic pills and a cabal of controllers and masterminds.
  • Inception. Monster actor, location, and action budgets aside it's pretty much just a bunch of regular people with a magic machine that lets others into you dreams. (Yeah, there's some pretty expensive CGI and a set or two in there, but largely... it's a actiony drama show.)
  • The Source Code. Actiony drama, again. Oh, and there's a semi-comatose para-corpse in a box. Ooo! Ahh! It's science fiction! Pfft.

Whaddayawannado?

While I'll agree that not every SciFi movie needs to have Darth Vaderesque "Death Star" type special effects, "Limitless" was still a good movie. ...It's like a modernized SciFi version of "Charlie" (Flowers for Algernon).

-Birdman

While I'll agree that not every SciFi movie needs to have Darth Vaderesque "Death Star" type special effects, "Limitless" was still a good movie. ...It's like a modernized SciFi version of "Charlie" (Flowers for Algernon).

-Birdman

If Flowers for Algernon had a confusing deus ex machina cop out for an ending...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpSXI8_UpY

This is still one of my all time favorite movies. A good example of how proper casting (Michael Rennie is such a modern contrast to the 50's looking/acting people!) can make a subject like this work.

They wanted a very experienced actor who was relatively unknown in the US, and Michael Rennie was a great fit. The rest of the cast is excellent as well.

The DVD extras/commentaries are great. See/listen to them if you get the chance.

If your project requires VFX work, best practice is to consult with a professional VFX supervisor who is expert with all kinds of photography techniques. He can educate you about what kinds of shots are doable on a micro-budget and maybe even design/storyboard the VFX sequences for you. Without this assistance during the first draft, you'll almost certainly be rewriting the VFX scenes further down the line.

If a VFX supervisor cannot be found, you might be fine with consulting an After Effects artist, and design everything around his/her current tools & skill set. As with locations, you'll literally write the VFX scenes to match the VFX assets you have at your disposal. The danger here is that a post production artist is not experienced with on set work (beware the false promises!) and can make mistakes that you'll pay for in post.

- Thomas

Back