• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to produce an early morning light in a small apartment.

How do I produce early morning light in a small apartment?

Hey there.
I hope this question hasn't been asked in a whole lot of earlier threads. I double checked before and could't find anything this specific.

My question is: is there any way to set up lighting with amateur equipment that produces an early morning atmosphere?
The apartment will be pretty small and I don't know yet if it'll be possible to set up lights on the outside.

What equipment would I need to get the best results?

Go easy on me. I'm a noob. But every helpful answer is appreciated!

Thanks
Nick

Last edited:
Lights and gels should do the trick.

Maybe play with colour-correction in post, too, if you have that capability.

an early morning atmosphere?

That's pretty vague, tbh. There are so many different ways "morning" can look. A cold, chill, rainy winter morning looks completely different from a long warm tropical sunrise in the Pacific.

You'll need to decide what, specifically, you need to show for your film.

And play with the lighting arrangements. Good luck. :)

You're doing an interior...so if all else fails you don't need to specify the time of day by the style of light outside.

What I might do is get a work light, can light, pepper...anything you can get your hands on and set it low outside the window pointing in straight across. I would put a yellow gel on the light. I would also create some diffusion in the room to pick up on the light spill. You can get 'diffusion in a can' or use a fog machine...or smoke a lot of cigarettes.

I would also put curtains up...make the room mostly dark, with a little ambient fill...then allow the yellow light to spill in through the curtains.

The rest is up to writing, mood, and dialog.

Never underestimate the power of lights, and shadows... ;)

A cookie can be made, with a scrap of cardboard, that will work even with a cheap halogen work light, and give you the light through window blinds look that often is used in this kind of situation.

There's a good informational video about cookies here, and another good video from the same series about working with cramped conditions.

Loads of great ideas here :) I think most of what I'd do has already been mentioned… smoke, low-lying yellowish light, cookie to simulate blinds; I'd maybe add a very soft, slightly blue light inside to emphasise the warmth of the sunlight - you can gel a worklight and point it through a white sheet on a clothes rail to achieve this kind of effect.

Back