• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenplay How to make it in the UK?

I've written and created one short film in 2018 - since then life and work have got in the way(became a teacher during the pandemic so lots of my free time was taken up but looking to use my time better). I am trying to get back on track pursuing this dream as its a new year but my questions to you are the following:

What would you say are the best next steps? I've written a few short films /first drafts of pilots but recently polished a draft up and submitted to Thousand Films ( a competition that is running as I speak) , this year I'd like to write a pilot and a feature too but have no idea whether I'm thinking along the right track?

What should I be aiming to do if I want to mainly be a writer/dabble occasionally in directing?

Are there any youtube videos or books that you recommend?

I'm also interested in writing for animation but have no drawing skills (how could I make this come into fruition? Is it as simple as paying someone on Fiverr or Upwork to animate my script?

How long would you roughly say I should spend on a first draft, at the moment in an hour I can write around 5-8 pages but find that I stop and start ideas or will write 15 pages in one go and then lose interest in the idea? Some guidance around this would be helpful too.

I also want try writing some audio plays too but no idea if thats a waste of time and how I would get started? The main reason being is that I've read that lots of writers in the UK started out in theatre?

Sorry for such a long winded post.

Solution
What would you say are the best next steps? I've written a few short films /first drafts of pilots but recently polished a draft up and submitted to Thousand Films ( a competition that is running as I speak) , this year I'd like to write a pilot and a feature too but have no idea whether I'm thinking along the right track?

What should I be aiming to do if I want to mainly be a writer/dabble occasionally in directing?
Writing is the next best step and is the right track. Write that pilot
and that feature. Write another short script and direct it.
I'm also interested in writing for animation but have no drawing skills (how could I make this come into fruition? Is it as simple as paying someone on Fiverr or Upwork to animate...
I also want try writing some audio plays too but no idea if thats a waste of time and how I would get started?

Whether or not it would serve as a useful stepping stone to stage or film performances I can't say, but radio drama is definitely a very accessible medium in Britain and Ireland (and an aspect of life I miss a lot, living in France). The national broadcasters in both countries regularly invite submissions (also for short stories and other narrative prose) from the general public, and from my experience, it's a simple as writing your piece and sending it to the relevant address.

I had some (limited) success submitting ultra-short pieces in this way in the past; I wouldn't imagine the process has changed very much, other than no longer having to put hard copy sheets in an evelope!

IDK the first thing about "making it" but if you want to be a writer, just keep writing!
Most of us aren't good enough to get fans or an audience no matter what we do, it's all perspective if you think that's a waste of time or not.

Writing is the next best step and is the right track. Write that pilot
and that feature. Write another short script and direct it.
I'm also interested in writing for animation but have no drawing skills (how could I make this come into fruition? Is it as simple as paying someone on Fiverr or Upwork to animate my script?
That; or find an animator who is looking for a good script - then
collaborate.
How long would you roughly say I should spend on a first draft, at the moment in an hour I can write around 5-8 pages but find that I stop and start ideas or will write 15 pages in one go and then lose interest in the idea? Some guidance around this would be helpful too.
You should spend the amount of time you need on a first draft.
There are no guidelines for that.

When you lose interest in an idea that is your writers brain telling
you it isn't good enough to keep the interest of other people. Move
on until you find and idea that compels you to keep writing.
I also want try writing some audio plays too but no idea if thats a waste of time and how I would get started? The main reason being is that I've read that lots of writers in the UK started out in theatre?
I don't know anything about the UK market but writing is never
a waste of time for a writer. Here in the states an agent looking to
represent a new writer will always be impressed by several different
writing samples. Plays, audio plays, short stories, pilots, features.
All are helpful for a writer.

Solution
On the flipside of you considering paying for an animator, there are animators looking to buy scripts. You just need to find each other for a symbiotic relationship. Check various wanted ads and instead of offering it for sale, network to produce, co-produce, direct, whatever. (Or sell it!)

I would consider producing a short version of one of your ideas. What is most powerful scene or situation you have written? Direct that (even though you are just 'dabblin') or get help with the directing part, but put all of your time and energy into putting together something powerful, memorable, and unique. Doesn't have to be long, just intriguing. Give them a taste!

Back