How to make a young person look like a 60 year old woman

I can't find a old woman to play a grandma in my film. So I was thinking that I would cast a young girl (24) to play her and just do makeup but I want this to look semi-realistic. Help please.

The make up artist to do a convincing old age makeup will cost more than hiring an appropriately aged actress.

I was talking to one of the make up artists. They quoted me about 400 dollars worth of materials (and that's cheap) and about 4 hours in the make up chair to transform 25 year old girl into 60 year old woman.

Needless to say I scratched that idea lol

I can't find a old woman to play a grandma in my film. So I was thinking that I would cast a young girl (24) to play her and just do makeup but I want this to look semi-realistic. Help please.
I was a make up artist for many years. The most difficult make
up to do is aging. You might be able to find a make up artist to
do "semi-realistic", meaning you will need to shoot the actress
in deep shadows or the illusion will be lost. And your audience will
see it as only semi-realistic.

As others have said, an experienced make up artist who can do
this will be very expensive. If you can afford (and find locally) a
make up artist with the skills and experience, I bet you can find
an actress of the correct age for less money.

Now if you are asking how YOU can do the make up yourself, I
can help. At least I can offer you some tips and what make up to
buy - but without the skill and experience you may be very disappointed.
If you are okay with semi-realistic I can help. But even then, I
suspect you could take the money you would spend on the needed
make up and use that to pay an actress of the correct age to be in
your movie.

Let me know.

Personally, I've never seen a movie anywhere that convinced me. The best artists in Hollywood can't even pull it off IMO.
Obviously others will disagree. But by my tastes, always looks fake.

alte_dame_latex_maske__old_lady_latex_mask.jpg

Funny Side Note:
In the early 1990's I was calling video distributors for a film I produced. The first guy I got on the phone asked - "You don't have younger people in make-up to look like older people in your film do you?" For decades the younger actor made-up as an older person has been the curse of "non-professional" films! I would write around it or hire an older actor. You're probably looking at no less than $200 to do the make-up, so hiring an older actor is cheaper. Best of luck!

A 24 year old into a into a grandma? Hmm... that'd be tough to work and be convincing. And it'd be expensive. It'd be easier to find an older woman to play the part...

1 night of heavy drinking while do the trick. 3 botles of vodka should do it....

Fantastic! I can also state, from personal experience, that's a good way to prep for zombie roles! Well, GOOD way might be stretching it a bit, but I certainly looked like an animated corpse! :lol:

Save that money for something else. You are asking for trouble. First the look has to work then the acting talent has to be believable. Too much to go wrong on the indie level. Like stated, re-write the part or keep looking for age appropriate talent.

Back