• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to Light Night Scenes?

I'd say there's a high powered HMI behind and above her, simulating the moon. Looks like there's another HMI in front of her to the left of the frame to fill in her face.

and would the blue color be a filter over the HMI? ( I can't quite imagine putting anything over those things as they can get pretty hot )

HMIs have a color temperature around 5600k (Daylight), so they give off a cool blue light. If you have the white balance set to something warmer like 3200k (Tungsten) then it will look blue. Gels are made to withstand heat, but you can also put the gel on a C-stand in front of the light for more separation if you're working with lights that are so hot they're melting gels.

This was done with a single 1K light. The blue gel was clipped onto the barndoors:

EXILEblindinfog.jpg

I posted a bunch of pics in this thread, LIGHTING AT NIGHT/OUTSIDE

In the OP's shot, it was done without permits in the middle of city park. They're using 2 NRG 12 volt lamps powered by a 12 volt motorcycle battery with existing light in the background. One lamp is overhead on a 10 foot stand, the other lamp is at face level, but further away.

After the shot, they immediately shoot ADR, the director grabs the camera and tripod, and the two actors grab the light stands and battery and drive away before security/cops arrive.

The blue tint is added in post.

:)

In the OP's shot, it was done without permits in the middle of city park. They're using 2 NRG 12 volt lamps powered by a 12 volt motorcycle battery with existing light in the background. One lamp is overhead on a 10 foot stand, the other lamp is at face level, but further away.

After the shot, they immediately shoot ADR, the director grabs the camera and tripod, and the two actors grab the light stands and battery and drive away before security/cops arrive.

The blue tint is added in post.

:)

Apparently I was way off. Where did you get this info?

I've never seen any BTS for Pan's Labyrinth though, so I decided benefit of the doubt and all.

Not that SAG would ever let an actor carry a stand, much less a light. ;)

Hah, when I commented I didn't even realize it was Pan's Labyrinth. I'm sure it's a joke now. On a side note, does SAG have any control over foreign films?

Hah, when I commented I didn't even realize it was Pan's Labyrinth. I'm sure it's a joke now. On a side note, does SAG have any control over foreign films?

Pretty sure that screenie is from Pan's, could be wrong. Someone upthread beat me to the call though.

Good point about SAG, lol. I'm sure there's an analogue that covers the talent they had in the film. Still, my lame joke fell a little flat there, lol. :D

mmm... looks kinda foggy... was that intentional? or accident? or just the quality of my monitor? Cause it looks cool and fitting for the scene

Intentionally foggy. It was in a fog room and the light was about 12 feet away. It could have been a 500 watt, instead of a 1K (I shot it 4 years ago).

Back