How to flim different scenes

Okay, so I only have 1 camera and we are doing a short film for my class. I've been watching movies and the way they switch from 1 scene to another looks so smooth and the audio too.. My question is do they have 2 cameras running at the same time filming different angles?

I want to do something like that but since I have only 1 camera (CanonSD630) can I do that and then edit with my program (Sony vegas pro 8.0) to make it look as if the guy is still talking and it switches scene to scene SMOOTHLY. Thanks!

You don't need 2 cameras. Given the cost of a 35mm camera and the size of the crane, etc. I doubt too many movies shoot with 2 cameras. Keep in mind, that the 2nd camera is almost always in view of the 1st camera. Just pay close attention to details and do multiple takes from different angles. The only time I shoot with 2 cameras is when I shoot a wedding, or some other event where I need to be able to edit between angles and cannot do retakes.

Check out Sonnyboo's tutorial on transitions, it might help ...
Click Here

Doug

Standard setup is 3 different angles, picture if you will:

Actors:
A---------------B
Camera positions:
1-------2-------3

Camera 2 points at both and is a little farther back to be able to frame both.
Camera 1 points at Subject B, Camera 3 at Subject A

The imaginary line between the two actors is called the "LINE"...don't cross it...If you put one of the cameras on the other side of the line, your actors will end up talking in the same direction when you cut.

Run through the scene 3 times (I like to get at least one time through the whole scene in the master (Cam 2) before going to the singles (Cams 1 & 3). In the singles, I like to get one full scene as scripted, then let them do what feels better for them if they have any ideas about it.

In the singles, you'll be using the best pieces of these takes and cutting the master over it as your microphone will be hella closer in the singles and the master will hide lip synch problems better than cutting the single's images over the master audio. The master audio will also sound really hollow comparatively due to the distance from mouth to mike.

So in the singles, make sure you get good line deliveries from them with editing space that you won't necessarily get in the master...in other words, have the actor offscreen pause after the onscreen actor delivers their line so you can edit more easily later, you can always overlap the dialog in the editing to cut it faster or more stressful. The actor can also stop the single if they really don't like it in the middle and talk about it...I go so far as to have them deliver the same line over and over in different varied ways if we can't come up with the way the line should be said to give editing options and characterization options...quiter, louder, more urgent, angry, put off, sad...just whatever...like Shatner or like Orson Welles. I just let them be as creative as they can (after I've gotten my one good per script reading from them).

When in Cam's 1 & 3, you can either frame the person alone or shoot over the other actor's shoulder (don't cross the line unless you know exactly why you're doing it...and rules are made to be broken just means you don't have a good reason - I have heard this excuse before, end result stank ;) ) The Over the shoulder (OTS) will relate the characters to one another (depending on the height of the camera, you can even manipulate that relationship) and framing the camera side person out of the shot will be more in keeping them distanced.

Shoot, Play, have fun...hey cross the line in the tests (The reason is) so you can see what it looks like when you break the rule...and why it's a bad thing to do. When two people are talking, we expect them to be facing one another, so it just "feels" wrong and will disorient the audience pulling them out of the movie when it happens.

Standard setup is 3 different angles, picture if you will:

Actors:
A---------------B
Camera positions:
1-------2-------3

Camera 2 points at both and is a little farther back to be able to frame both.
Camera 1 points at Subject B, Camera 3 at Subject A

The imaginary line between the two actors is called the "LINE"...don't cross it...If you put one of the cameras on the other side of the line, your actors will end up talking in the same direction when you cut.

Run through the scene 3 times (I like to get at least one time through the whole scene in the master (Cam 2) before going to the singles (Cams 1 & 3). In the singles, I like to get one full scene as scripted, then let them do what feels better for them if they have any ideas about it.

In the singles, you'll be using the best pieces of these takes and cutting the master over it as your microphone will be hella closer in the singles and the master will hide lip synch problems better than cutting the single's images over the master audio. The master audio will also sound really hollow comparatively due to the distance from mouth to mike.

So in the singles, make sure you get good line deliveries from them with editing space that you won't necessarily get in the master...in other words, have the actor offscreen pause after the onscreen actor delivers their line so you can edit more easily later, you can always overlap the dialog in the editing to cut it faster or more stressful. The actor can also stop the single if they really don't like it in the middle and talk about it...I go so far as to have them deliver the same line over and over in different varied ways if we can't come up with the way the line should be said to give editing options and characterization options...quiter, louder, more urgent, angry, put off, sad...just whatever...like Shatner or like Orson Welles. I just let them be as creative as they can (after I've gotten my one good per script reading from them).

When in Cam's 1 & 3, you can either frame the person alone or shoot over the other actor's shoulder (don't cross the line unless you know exactly why you're doing it...and rules are made to be broken just means you don't have a good reason - I have heard this excuse before, end result stank ;) ) The Over the shoulder (OTS) will relate the characters to one another (depending on the height of the camera, you can even manipulate that relationship) and framing the camera side person out of the shot will be more in keeping them distanced.

Shoot, Play, have fun...hey cross the line in the tests (The reason is) so you can see what it looks like when you break the rule...and why it's a bad thing to do. When two people are talking, we expect them to be facing one another, so it just "feels" wrong and will disorient the audience pulling them out of the movie when it happens.

what do you mean by crossing the line?

atticus27 said:
what do you mean by crossing the line?

http://jodi.tamu.edu/Articles/v01/i07/Miles/comments/noticing/180degre.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule

In scenes, where the camera might shift about, there is a continuity to the spatial relationship.

It gets confusing (and not just to the audience... pity the poor editor) when the actors suddenly start switching positions. The actors may not even be changing places, but a camera position change can give that illusion.

http://jodi.tamu.edu/Articles/v01/i07/Miles/comments/noticing/180degre.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule

In scenes, where the camera might shift about, there is a continuity to the spatial relationship.

It gets confusing (and not just to the audience... pity the poor editor) when the actors suddenly start switching positions. The actors may not even be changing places, but a camera position change can give that illusion.

oooo i c, thanks for the links, I'm curious about whether I can do that with 1 camera, i want to do this 180 degree illusion but unfortunatly i only have 1 camera. Do I just move the camera from one side to the other side in one single take? thanks again.

atticus, you can do that with 1 camera. Most movies have been shot
with just one camera so you are in good company.

Here is a typical example of how you can switch from one angle to another:

In my example there are two people stiiting at a table - it's scene number 22
in the script. On the SLATE you will write "22". After each take the number
will change: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on. When you move the camera that is called
the next "set up" and you will add letters to the scene number: 22A, 22B, 22C,
22D and so on - omitting letters I and O because they can be misunderstood
as numbers 1 and 0. After Z, you will move into double letters: AA, BB, CC, DD,
and so on.

Scene 22 is Bob and Mary sitting at a table - it’s three pages long. On your slate you
will write “Scene 22 - Take 1”

Scene 22 - This will be the entire scene from one angle - called the "master". Both
people at the table, the camera getting a head to foot shot of both of them. You shoot
the entire three page scene.

Adjust the lights, move the camera and shoot Bob’s side of the table.

Scene 22A - Close up of Bob.
Scene 22B - Over Mary’s shoulder on Bob.
Scene 22C - A slow dolly push in on Bob - from a full shot into a close up.
Scene 22D - an insert shot of Bob lighting a cigarette.
Scene 22E - a close up on Bob’s hand putting the cigarette in the ash tray.
Scene 22F - a close up of Bob taking the contract, looking at it and signing it (from Mary’s point of view)

Now move the lights, move the camera and cover the scene from Bob’s side of the table.

Scene 22G - Close up of Mary.
Scene 22H - Over Bob’s shoulder on Mary.
Scene 22J - A slow dolly push in on Mary - from a full shot into a close up.
Scene 22K - an insert shot of Mary putting the contract on the table.
Scene 22L - a close up on Mary’s hand snuffing out the cigarette in the ash tray.
Scene 22M - a close up shot of Mary putting the contract on the table, putting a pen on the contract and pushing it to the middle of the table.
Scene 22P - a close up of Bob taking the contract, looking at it and signing it (from Bob’s point of view)

Now move the lights and camera for the dramatic overhead shot - the camera
looking down on the table.

Scene 22 R - we start when Mary puts the contract on the table.
Scene 22 S - zoom in to get only the contract - follow all the business with the contract.
Scene 22 T - while the camera is up there might as well get a shot of the two actors sitting down at the table and then leaving the table. Who knows? You might want to use it.

When you get into the editing room you now have choises. You decide when you
want to show which character and for how long.

You will go through the scene at least 3 times...one wide, one on each actor. 3 camera positions one after the other, not moving the camera, just resetting up everything for the new position after completing the previous.

Oh, the memories...

Dr. Egon Spengler: I have a radical idea. The door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle flow through the gate.
Dr. Peter Venkman: How?
Dr. Egon Spengler: [hesitates] We'll cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: 'Scuse me Egon? You said crossing the streams was bad!
Dr Ray Stantz: Cross the streams...
Dr. Peter Venkman: You're gonna endanger us, you're gonna endanger our client - the nice lady, who paid us in advance, before she became a dog...
Dr. Egon Spengler: Not necessarily. There's definitely a *very slim* chance we'll survive.

Oh, the memories...

Dr. Egon Spengler: I have a radical idea. The door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle flow through the gate.
Dr. Peter Venkman: How?
Dr. Egon Spengler: [hesitates] We'll cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: 'Scuse me Egon? You said crossing the streams was bad!
Dr Ray Stantz: Cross the streams...
Dr. Peter Venkman: You're gonna endanger us, you're gonna endanger our client - the nice lady, who paid us in advance, before she became a dog...
Dr. Egon Spengler: Not necessarily. There's definitely a *very slim* chance we'll survive.

Well ... it worked, didn't it? You can't argue with success.

p.s. Don't you think they apply that "Doctor" title rather freely?

Back