How to film someone getting hit by a car from POV of inside the car?

Hey guys,
It's my first post here and I've been reading these forums for a while - very impressed and a great wealth of knowledge to draw upon.

I was wondering if anyone knew any techniques to film a person getting hit by a car, from a POV inside the car? The camera would be sitting in the middle back seat, with a passenger and driver up front.

It'll be filmed at night with the car moving. I'll only need the body of a person to glide over the bonnet/hit the windscreen for a second or so. I was thinking a mannequin might do the trick, but was hoping somebody might have some better ideas.

Any help will be appreciated!

if its a surprise moment, u can always just show something the driver is distracted by, then a foley sound of someone getting hit, brakes and pan over to see the person already on the bonnet sliding off.

Shooting at night with little illumination this can be
easily done using a dummy. A mannequin is too ridged.
You can build your own articulated "crash dummy"
with easy to find materials.

I have three different ones - all made for about $200
(AU$230) - for different uses. One with PVC "bones",
leather "joints" and fully padded with foam is a bit
safer to toss at a car. Though there is still risk of damage
to the vehicle.

Ernest's suggestion of cutaways is always effective. That's
the exceptional thing about making a movie. You can suggest
without actually showing. And more often than not, that is
the most effective way.

Thanks guys. Yeah ... the contact is meant to come out of nowhere as the driver is distracted.

I guess with convincing sound I'll be able to cut it effectively ... although I did still want the possibility of showing contact with the body so thanks for the suggestion of a crash dummy.

It'll be happening that fast I'm sure I'll be able to put something together that resembles a body. Thanks again.

Back