How to create the essential Hero

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and have been studying screenwriting for a little over a year.... I'm a long time lover of all types of movies, and a born storyteller. Over the next two years I'm going to develop and fine-tune my abilities.

The topic I would like to discuss is the Character. Now some writers/screenwriters start a developing their story around a plot, while others create the characters first. I'm kind of a perfectionist and I usually write out 25+ pages of character analysis and backstory on the main characters. Tarantino once said in an interview that if you don't know EVERYTHING about your characters and story, it won't work....

I prefer basing my stories on real-life situations with eccentric characters. (For example, my favorite character ever developed was "Papa Jules" played by Michel Simon in "L'Atalante".) I find eccentric characters or characters with distinct, yet real human traits tend to not only be more interesting, but more believable.

My question is, is there a point where I could possibly take the backstory overboard? Is that possible? Is sitting down and trying to figure out what your character did for his third birthday, what sports he played in grade school, and the relationship between him and his dog taking it too far?

thanks.

- d

Also, how much more backstory do you need if you're basing your story on a real-life human being. Say, a good friend of yours, or even someone you know of and studied, but never knew.

Unless you are making a documentary or biography, you should mix and match traits of real life people to create more original characters. Real people with similar experiences, say you live around a couple of policemen in your neighborhood. You can borrow traits and events that happpened to both to create one new cop character for your story.

If you are planninng to make a series or sequels to your story, there is never too much. What doesn't fit in one story, you can fit in the next.

A very good resource for writers is a publication called WRITERS' DIGEST MAGAZINE. I had to stop subscribing to them because after a while the collection of magazines were just taking up too much space in my little place. But, there are lots of good articles on writing stories, creating characters, software for writers, theory on writing and what is an original story vs. re-imaged, and a remake, taking something old and making something new, and the writer's job market.

appreciate the input guys.

I'd like to tell you. I'm going to start an experiment.
I'm going to write a screenplay next week in five days based on a new idea.

Hopefully it will be my screenwriting bootcamp.

The first draft will probably suck, but to make all of other screenplays better, this should help a ton.

I don't think I'd ever publish something I'm writing in real-time like that. All first drafts (or "vomit" drafts) usually suck as you're predicting. I am constantly revising as I go. I don't want suckage plastered all over the world wide web. It's written in ink, not pencil. I would hate for someone doing research on me to find all that suckage out there. But that's just me. I'd also worry about copyrights.

Good luck with the project. :cheers:

As far as character, I'll do a basic bio and revise as needed to fit the story. I may brainstorm half-way through the script of a different method for handling something, then revise the character. But I have to say I've spent the most time thinking about characters in my latest project than anything else. Last project I was more focused on the plotline.

Last edited:
Back