how to colour your film a war type..

Hi All,

So whether you agree with me or not im still left feeling that the latest batman film was one of the best films iv seen, however thats not the point, what i wish to ask is this, the film was portrayed as a war film, or at least thats what iv seen/read/got the feeling, and to me it seems the colouring of the film had alot to do with this,

so what i ask is this, what makes a film seem more war-like than your average action film? is it the lots of green hints and almost uncolourful picture? where everthing just seems to be a shade of green?

Your thoughts please?

I think color grade as well as difference in it. If you want to highlight a war type color grade system you need to also have some parts to contrast as well. That being said, in my opinion it fits well for current day stuff. If the film is set in the past then the whole film may have a set color for the time period.

Ive confused myself already so im probably not much help in making a decision however hopefully ive conveyed the importance of color selection alone.

Hi All,

So whether you agree with me or not im still left feeling that the latest batman film was one of the best films iv seen, however thats not the point, what i wish to ask is this, the film was portrayed as a war film, or at least thats what iv seen/read/got the feeling, and to me it seems the colouring of the film had alot to do with this,

so what i ask is this, what makes a film seem more war-like than your average action film? is it the lots of green hints and almost uncolourful picture? where everthing just seems to be a shade of green?

Your thoughts please?

you can try increase saturation in your editing software.. but be careful about colors
:)

Strictly speaking color, desaturated/flat image with a lot of olive and brown is a typical war look.

It's all in the production design and lighting though. You can't bring out colors in post that aren't in an image to begin with.

I didn't really see The Dark Knight Rises as a war inspired fill, color wise. It looks a lot like Batman Begins to me still.

I don't think there is such thing as the 'war color', or a time period color. The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan are both set in WWII, and they are as differently colored as night and day.

I didn't really see The Dark Knight Rises as a war inspired fill, color wise. It looks a lot like Batman Begins to me still.

I don't think there is such thing as the 'war color', or a time period color. The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan are both set in WWII, and they are as differently colored as night and day.

agreed,

Back