• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to choose an editor

Do you have feature experience? :-p

You will be in it together.

I guess you'll have to choose the one you trust, the one that can help you tell the story.
We can't make that choice for you.

I was not complaining. Just to state the facts that all of them are in the same line. :)

They are all friends, it's tough to reject people. On the other hand, I am not sure which one will do a better job.

Here's an important question. Are they willing to do all the work needed for editing a feature? It's a TON! In a feature the characters evolve and change so small details in one part effect major plot points later. There's a long string of continuity to keep in mind. I've had editors quit on me before. I ended up editing myself and actually I love editing now so maybe it was for the best. However, I've come across a few that really weren't committed to the long LONG hours required. Best of luck.

Here's an important question. Are they willing to do all the work needed for editing a feature? It's a TON! In a feature the characters evolve and change so small details in one part effect major plot points later. There's a long string of continuity to keep in mind. I've had editors quit on me before. I ended up editing myself and actually I love editing now so maybe it was for the best. However, I've come across a few that really weren't committed to the long LONG hours required. Best of luck.

Good point. Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Taking into consideration everything you've said here the
choice should be easy. Choose the person who you feel will
be the most dedicated and most reliable. One should already
be eliminated so you only have two to choose from. If they
are both equal in dedication, experience (or lack of) and both
friends, then flip a coin. I'm serious. There is no way to know
who will do the better job until you are working with them.
Hell, you don't know for sure YOU will do a great job but you
know you will try your best. So will whoever you choose.

Taking into consideration everything you've said here the
choice should be easy. Choose the person who you feel will
be the most dedicated and most reliable. One should already
be eliminated so you only have two to choose from. If they
are both equal in dedication, experience (or lack of) and both
friends, then flip a coin. I'm serious. There is no way to know
who will do the better job until you are working with them.
Hell, you don't know for sure YOU will do a great job but you
know you will try your best. So will whoever you choose.

Thanks for your inputs, as always!

Maybe I should flip a coin :D

Back