• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to be second?

It is not a question about films, but more total. I am a software programmer and somewhat not bad at my job. However, in engineering, doing is very clear, you do what you know.
But in films, some may have a taste, some may respond AFTER you, which is not what we like. People compare, but how those who are second can survive? How we treat situation and other people for being second?

Thanks!

You charge less money. First place people charge more money and offer a more premium service.

Different types of customers will make a difference choice on what is best for them.

Is this question like, how to survive at your profession being second rate? Or being good but left in the dust by competition? Unsure.

If you are not as skilled you can always be fast and cheap.

Attachments

• good_fast_cheap.jpg
    good_fast_cheap.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 97
Is this question like, how to survive at your profession being second rate? Or being good but left in the dust by competition? Unsure.

If you are not as skilled you can always be fast and cheap.

The two responses on good, fast, cheap, are educating for me. Thanks!

A question, How can one unprofessional make a real progress within a year or two and be professional without any class/college? I mean just by reading specific Books and writing based on those principles?

Last edited:
You have to get out there and make films. Find people, or just do it alone. Get a camera, get some sort of story, shoot it, edit it, and put that shit up so others can see it.

And that's how you learn to do anything, isn't it? Don't be afraid to fail. Don't be afraid to suck at first.

Then, later you can take classes, become an apprentice, etc. Or really, do that all at the same time. You don't need to learn everything in a linear fashion.

Back