• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to achieve this photography

hey, please take a look on these pics, this short film was shoot probaly with an arri alexa camera, let's say i have a canon 5d mark III and i want to achieve the exactly film look.. this is made in the post production using filters or the DP uses a specific kind of setup during the shoot? thanks.

1355933237_att-migration20121219-1328-1bc0ttd.jpg

Umshini_Wam.png

this short film was shoot probaly with an arri alexa camera

What leads you to believe this? :hmm:

made in the post production using filters or the DP uses a specific kind of setup during the shoot?

tiny bit of framerate choice
tiny bit of camera choice
medium bit of lens choice
large lot of set design
large lot of lighting choices
large lot of technique choices
several tidying up in post choices

...and even if you manage to get a really good looking image, noone will notice it if you have awful sound. Or terrible actors.

Every aspect is important, but the more you can do it right in camera first, the less you'll need to rely on post.

What leads you to believe this? :hmm:

large lot of set design

...and even if you manage to get a really good looking image, noone will notice it if you have awful sound. Or terrible actors.

Every aspect is important, but the more you can do it right in camera first, the less you'll need to rely on post.

because i know the camera this director is currently using in the past 3 years.. and don´t try to bullshit me trying to look like an expert.. we´re talking about an external scene with natural lighting and not a transformers movie scene.

because i know the camera this director is currently using in the past 3 years.. and don´t try to bullshit me trying to look like an expert.. we´re talking about an external scene with natural lighting and not a transformers movie scene.

If you think it looks great, then more power to ya.

Good luck with with your project.
smiley_tiphat.gif

That was just a wee hostile, BTW.

ZernSteve's correct and not being difficult.

Little bit of this. Little bit of that.

OP, if you know what the director's been shooting with for the past three years then just ask him instead of asking us to guess at what he/she used any better than what you can guess.

I don't see anything special in those two frames, myself.
Good luck with with your project.
smiley_tiphat.gif

Last edited:
That first frame looks more like 35mm to me than Alexa, but it's hard to tell too much with such low-qual frame grabs.

Looks like a very overcast day with flat lighting to me. I can't really say any evidence of extra lights - there may be a bunch of flags and cutters around.

Perhaps large silks if the sun did come out.

It's simply graded to look the way it does. Personally, I often use Classic Soft filters in front of a lens on cameras like RED, and sometimes Alexa which can give it a nice, more filmic look.

On a 5D, you're looking for an overcast day with flat lighting, probably shooting 'flat', and using the best lenses you can afford. From what I can tell, it looks like they used Cookes on the film grabs shown, but again - without higher quality grabs, it's hard to know if parts of the frame are caused by the camera, lighting, lenses and post, or simply the compression.

That first frame looks more like 35mm to me than Alexa, but it's hard to tell too much with such low-qual frame grabs.

Looks like a very overcast day with flat lighting to me. I can't really say any evidence of extra lights - there may be a bunch of flags and cutters around.

Perhaps large silks if the sun did come out.

It's simply graded to look the way it does. Personally, I often use Classic Soft filters in front of a lens on cameras like RED, and sometimes Alexa which can give it a nice, more filmic look.

On a 5D, you're looking for an overcast day with flat lighting, probably shooting 'flat', and using the best lenses you can afford. From what I can tell, it looks like they used Cookes on the film grabs shown, but again - without higher quality grabs, it's hard to know if parts of the frame are caused by the camera, lighting, lenses and post, or simply the compression.

hey jax, appreciate your direct and down to earth answer.. very explicative.. thanks man.

I thought it also, i think there´s no much you can do in the real shooting despite using the right lens and finding the right time to shoot .. thanks man.

This is what you do when you don't have another option.

large lot of set design

This is what you do when you want to get it right (whatever the vision in ur head is) every time.

* Do note that everyone who has made their footage a little yellowish on utube has not achieved this look.

You can get the yellowish color in camera just by mucking around with the white balance. Just make it a little bit warmer. Here is the original video for anyone that is curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?v=eMVNjMF1Suo

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like a 5D and/or a GH2. Perhaps a RED at a stretch, though there's still a fair amount of compression even at 1080 so it's hard to tell.

Also, looks like mostly natural lighting, just smart time of day choices and camera/actor placement. With the exception of the stuff towards the end that takes place interior, anyway.

Back