How risky is firmware?

I was thinking of uploading Magic Lantern into my camera. But the websites give warnings that it may harm your camera, but as of 2009, their have been no reports. But once in a while a thread pops up where someone's camera is harmed or will not work as a result. Is it risky? And if I sell my camera in the feature, will the firmware installation make the camera less worthy for sale in any way? I did research but sites and people I have talked to all have something different to say.

Magic Lantern is loaded onto your memory card. Delete ML from the card, or put in a brand new card, et voila... no more Magic Lantern.

The only issue I've had with ML is when I plug in my cheap-o external monitor. Plugs & power have to be switched on in a certain order, or the battery dies and it has to be recharged. Trial & error fixing figuring that one out. :lol:

Your mileage may vary.

ML doesn't do anything to the firm ware on your camera... most firmware hacks do... and if they screw up, the regular one is gone and the hardware possibly dead to the world... with ML, take the card up and restart the camera, fixed!

Lol.

Well I went to the Magic Lantern site, and they asked what camera I want to download it for. They list the 5D, 7D, etc. But they don't list the T2i. Should I just say 7D, cause it may be closest?

thats kinda cool.. look at the marketing demographic..

550D = Europe. Very official, technical sounding.. other European model numbers of interest, 230SL?

T2i=US, sounds like a revision of the Terminator robots.. T2000, T3000, T2i, throwing in the lowercase "i" cause everyone is doing it.. "iphone" etc..

KISS X4 = Japan. Might have more to do with the shape of the letters then actual translation.. or like all 80's bands, KISS is still big in Japan, upto 4X big!

Back