How often do you use a green screen?

Just curious. I've been looking at a setup on ebay and I'm debating on buying it, but wondering how often I would need it's application.

I'm thinking I should wait and buy it when I know I'll need it...but it just made me wonder how often you guys use one.

First movie I ever worked on (co-wrote sceenplay) had green sceen in it. It was supposed to be a low rent security company commercial on TV. That movie wound up being a miscarriage (the director was in over her head), so we shot the footage, but never keyed and used to my knowledge.

It depends on if it's worth buying it. You can build a frame with PVC or pipe. Buy canvas and have it fitted with grommets. Buy Rosco greenscreen paint.

I have been part of green screen productions for a long time. Let me tell you they never are a good substitute for just shooting it live, in my opinion. If you are going to use a green screen for location replacement you better have an awesome Special FX department backing you up for it to look real. For some people it does work, I just have yet to see it work worth while and for all the setup. Just be careful, if done improperly it can really suck a viewer right out of the mood.

I have been part of green screen productions for a long time. Let me tell you they never are a good substitute for just shooting it live, in my opinion. If you are going to use a green screen for location replacement you better have an awesome Special FX department backing you up for it to look real. For some people it does work, I just have yet to see it work worth while and for all the setup. Just be careful, if done improperly it can really suck a viewer right out of the mood.

Thanks for the insight. The girl I have doing my editing has competed in National competitions and won. She is supposed to be really good. We are getting together in a couple of days to discuss this in more depth. She says she loves working with greenscreens...so maybe I am lucky.

If you're just starting out it's worth just going down to a shop that sells sheets of cloth. Buy a large sheet of lime green material, it shouldn't be too expensive.
Then if you have an editing program such as Sony Vegas you can key pretty easily.

Don't buy an expensive set up until you're experienced with the process. Having expesnsive gear doesn't mean you'll be any better.

Green screen is often easy to spot in film. You'll probably find it's hard to make things blend in well.

I use one for both work and personal film work all the time. It opens a creative door, but it's entirely up to each person if they'd use it or not, and even more intense who will use it well...

Back