How much should I charge to film a wedding?

Hi there. I'm an independent filmmaker, 18 and fresh out of high school. Unlike most kids I've had quite a lot of experience covering live events due to my early employment into a news breaking media site.I wouldn't say I'm great and I don't even have an HD camcorder. It's a Mini DV and a Canon XL1s but I'd like to say that I'm still pretty good.

Anyways, I was approached by a production company a few months back saying they could use independent filmmakers like me for work.

They just offered me a small gig to cover a wedding. They asked me what my asking price was.

What should I tell them? What price would seem reasonable? I only need to film the wedding and the editing will be done by someone else.

• Pre-Production: 2 P.m at Location
  • Wedding: 3 P.m to 4 P.m
  • Cocktails: 4 P.m to 5 P.m
  • Dinner: 5 P.m to 6 P.m
  • Reception: 6 P.m to 10 P.m (Depending on the Footage)

Total Hours: 8

You should ask them how much they are charging. I mean if theres say 2 cameras and 1 editor then thats 3 people. Lets say its 1000 bucks they charge (probably more) you should take $1000/3 = 333 then ask for 80% of that since they got you the job from their marketing or what have you. So I'd ask for $266 in this case.

It all depends on how you want to go about it. You could also just ask for 200-300 since its your first time working for them. Then later on ask for a straight percentage of what they charge.

$25/hr would give you $200 gross pay.

Are they an established production company? If so they are probably charging a lot more than $1k.

From your post I would guess that they are not supplying the camera? If you are using your own camera a modest rental fee ($25 -$50) would be appropriate. Make sure you have plenty of fresh batteries. Don't forget your tripod.

Are they supplying the tapes? If not, charge them for the tapes.

Are you doing the tape transfers? If yes, charge them for that as well. That could be another six hours ($25/hr x 6hrs = $150) or more. And don't forget that you have to deliver the transferred files on a drive or DVDs; charge them for that also.

Once you have established a baseline of your expenses and the hours actually involved you can figure out what to charge. Just remember that they will not want to pay more the next time that they use you, so don't underprice yourself.

Get EVERYTHING down in writing, that way there are no misunderstandings.

Oh... Do you have a nice suit to wear?

I know an individual who charges $2k for SD and $5k for HD -- this includes editing and materials/DVD art etc.

I personally think this is too much, but he's getting work.

Everything for weddings is a lot more expensive than it really needs to be. When my wife and I were putting our wedding together (24 years ago!) we would call, say, a DJ, and ask for pricing; she would say "wedding" and I would say "party". The prices quoted for a "wedding" would be substantially more expensive.

difference in expectations of a party vs wedding.

At a party, nobody really cares if you miss that shot of the boss with the lamp shade on his head,.. but at a weeding.. if you miss any of those once in a life time shots, then your customer would be devastated.. so I think paying more for the assurance that the video is going to be captured is understood, at least on some level. If you charging $1000 and something DOES go wrong, heck customer might not even sue, but at $5K, its worth a trip to small claims court! So if you charge $5k, you deliver or you die..

Buy a plain gold ring and it's not that expensive...buy it in the 'wedding' section of the store, and you're going to pay much much more.

It's sad. In a time of happiness. It's odd.

I'd tell you to charge between $200-$400 depending on things like; camera fee, tape fee, how big is the company? Anyone else shooting? Etc.

Like others have said, a few grand is not unrealistic or uncommon to see being charged for a wedding videogapher.

I'l add another few questions:

Are you shooting this alone? Or are you an extra camera
for hire? That would make a difference in how much you
charge.

Coming in as the extra camera; $30/hr in your area is about
right so going down to $20/$25 based on your experience
shooting weddings would be understandable. If you are the
lead camera on a two or three camera shoot then $50/$80/hr
is standard in your area. If this is a one camera shoot...

Well, working for a news breaking media site and shooting
weddings are two, very different things. Be careful.

If you are sub-contracting for an established wedding company
then you really need to know exactly what services they offer.
Multi-camera shoots or one camera? What do they usually charge
their clients?

Have you seen their finished product? Are they high end or just
starting out? All of that will come into your quote. If you under
bid and don't deliver what they are used to getting you will hurt
their business and any further gigs. Same if you over bid.

Back