• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

color-grading How much is the overall total price for color grading usually for a project?

In terms of working with a freelance colorist on local micro-low budget indie narrative films, how much do they charge in a general price range?

Unless that depends on the film length or how much work (or time, if they charge daily or hourly rates) is put into the final product and the director/producer’s budget.

Scale wage is around 65 and hour for that kind of work, for a pro. You can get a good colorist (such as myself) for lower if you offer a bulk contract. Obviously it depends on two main metrics, one being the length of your film, and the other being revisions. If you don't make revisions, I could see a detailed color pass for a 90 minute feature being just a few thousand. If you wanted just a baseline enhancement, which takes far less time, you could probably have a 30 minute film done for a few hundred. If you need it to look like a marvel movie, first off, you need way more than just a colorist, and second, there is a lot of roto and individual detailing on every second of the film, so that can get quite expensive. Marvel Endgame probably had a half million in color post.

I went back just now and checked the final budget for my 87 minute feature. We paid $9,500 for color conforming and grading. It was a very slow and detailed process over several days. The director and I (writer/producer) sat with the color correction guy and went through the movie shot by shot, and then again.

It's worth noting that it was a road trip movie with lots of driving scenes, beach scenes, and many different indoor locations so hardly a simple project. And we were very happy with how it came out.

Scale wage is around 65 and hour for that kind of work, for a pro. You can get a good colorist (such as myself) for lower if you offer a bulk contract. Obviously it depends on two main metrics, one being the length of your film, and the other being revisions. If you don't make revisions, I could see a detailed color pass for a 90 minute feature being just a few thousand. If you wanted just a baseline enhancement, which takes far less time, you could probably have a 30 minute film done for a few hundred. If you need it to look like a marvel movie, first off, you need way more than just a colorist, and second, there is a lot of roto and individual detailing on every second of the film, so that can get quite expensive. Marvel Endgame probably had a half million in color post.
How much would it possibly costs for a 10-15 minute indie short film?

How much would it possibly costs for a 10-15 minute indie short film?
It could possibly cost $100. It could possibly cost $1,000.

Some 10-15 minute short films may take only a few hours and someone
looking to add to their experience and resume may do it for a hundred bucks.
Some may take 15 to 20 hours of work. Someone with some experience
may charge $25 to $40 per hour.

My suggestion would be to budget $300 to $500 for a 10 to 15 minute
short film.

Back