How long do you take when filming?

Hi all, I am just wondering when your filming, lets says a 2 page short story script. How long will that take you to film? what shots are you using and techniques to get all the material you need? how many takes? Etc... any information is helpful about your process and how you break it up and film the most efficient way and get what you need.

How long it takes depends on the needs of the story. A 2 person dialogue scene might take a couple of hours, depending on coverage. A complex 2 page series of action scenes covering 10 locations may take 20 (or more) days of shooting.

any information is helpful about your process and how you break it up and film the most efficient way and get what you need.

Use a production board. Break it down into its core elements. Come up with a proposal. Talk to your department heads. Adjust based on their expert advice.

what shots are you using and techniques to get all the material you need?

What do you mean by this? Blocking? The shot list? It comes down to your vision and what you need to both get that vision and provide some sort of backup... just in case.

Hi all, I am just wondering when your filming, lets says a 2 page short story script. How long will that take you to film? what shots are you using and techniques to get all the material you need? how many takes?
A 2 page short story script would take me a few hours. As Sweetie points
out there are many different 2 page short story script - two people talking,
five people talking, one person climbing the Alps, a fight scene. But assuming
a simple dialogue scene with two people it would take me an hour to set up,
anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes to shoot and an hour to strike
everything. I would use fairly standard shots depending on the specific scene.
any information is helpful about your process and how you break it up and film the most efficient way and get what you need.
I would start with a master shot, then shoot a close up of each actor, then
maybe an over the shoulder of each actor, then a few inserts depending on
what is called for in the 2 page short story script. My lighting would reflect
the mood of the scene.

How would YOU shoot a 2 page short story script? What shots would YOU
choose?

How long it takes depends on the needs of the story. A 2 person dialogue scene might take a couple of hours, depending on coverage. A complex 2 page series of action scenes covering 10 locations may take 20 (or more) days of shooting.

Use a production board. Break it down into its core elements. Come up with a proposal. Talk to your department heads. Adjust based on their expert advice.

What do you mean by this? Blocking? The shot list? It comes down to your vision and what you need to both get that vision and provide some sort of backup... just in case.

Yeah the shot list and blocking. I am 1 man crew so I am every department. Also how long does each shot take you to do, no dialogue all actions happening. It's more of a skit/ story I would say.

A 2 page short story script would take me a few hours. As Sweetie points
out there are many different 2 page short story script - two people talking,
five people talking, one person climbing the Alps, a fight scene. But assuming
a simple dialogue scene with two people it would take me an hour to set up,
anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes to shoot and an hour to strike
everything. I would use fairly standard shots depending on the specific scene.

I would start with a master shot, then shoot a close up of each actor, then
maybe an over the shoulder of each actor, then a few inserts depending on
what is called for in the 2 page short story script. My lighting would reflect
the mood of the scene.

How would YOU shoot a 2 page short story script? What shots would YOU
choose?
I am not sure how I would do anything since I new to all of this, right now I have taken numerous shots and angles of everything and then look at the footage later and try to make sense of it all. I will show you the video once I am done and this way you can give me more in depth how you would shoot what I shot.

Also Forget lighting at the second since that is a whole other beast I plan on tackling after I actually make coherent story on film.

Thank you for all your input everyone it is very helpful.

Also how long does each shot take you to do, no dialogue all actions happening.

You'll get the recurring theme sooner or later. It depends on the shot. A simple insert, say looking down at a shoe coming into frame might take a few minutes to shoot. A complex or dangerous shot like the tracking shot in Goodfellas or multiple cars crashing might take the whole day, if not more.

I've knocked off 10+ shots in an hour. I've also had a shot take 6 hours to setup time before we captured a single frame. It depends.

Since you're working solo, you'll need to adjust your time required based on your own speed. Also your production value requirements are also going to adjust the time needed.

All this without going into how well prepared and experienced the actors are and the quality of your directing etc. How often will you need to shoot again due to technical issues etc.

It's really one of those, "How long is a piece of string questions"

It depends on everything.
Not only on the number of characters put on paper.
Depends on complexity, on experience, talent, reliability/repeatabilty, logistics, communication, planning, vision and quality level you are happy with.

When you have to do everything yourself, it usually takes longer when you have to set up a lot. You can only do 1 thing at the time.

[ ironic statement ]
There is a formula for it:
a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o+p+q+r+s+u+v+w+x+y+z=T
(If there are more parameters, resort to the greek alphabeta)
Unfortunately, nobody here can tell you the values of the variables, so while this formula contains your anwser, it can't tell you how much time it will take :P
[/ ironic statement ]

Here is a possible another example I am looking for, let's say you were filming a Guy take out the garbage how would you visually make that interesting in how many takes, shots and time do you think that would take?

let's say you were filming a Guy take out the garbage how would you visually make that interesting

Ok, define interesting.

My version could be, aliens secretly invade while the guy is taking out the garbage. He uncovers their secret plot, but the world doesn't listen. He goes out, gathers his proof. At the same time he's defeating lieutenant after lieutenant, learning the skills he needs to defeats the enemy, culminating in the hero defeating the aliens who were invading. In the aftermath, he completes the task of putting out the trash.

That could take 200 days to shoot.

If you're talking compression of time Hot Fuzz style, you could shoot it in 3 shots with 2 setups.

Walking out door.
Putting garbage in trash.
Walking in door.

Really simple 2 second handheld shots (or on sticks), natural lighting, no real acting required, 2 takes each, assuming same location, maybe 10 or 15 mins. Need to light, add some time. Night time shoot, add more time. Need to coach the action, add time.

There's also the time it takes to setup and break down equipment. Depending on what equipment you have. If you're shooting with an iPhone, it might be a 5 second, pull it out of your pocket setup time.

So your answer... Anywhere between 10 mins to 200 days.

For me It would take about couple of weeks.Although i can finish it in maximum of 4 days,but the timings of the crew would be a major factor.We might have to adjust to the occurrences in crew's individual engagements.

Bazz, I sugges to ask a friend and shoot different versions of the garbage scene.
You are asking theoretic questions on a subject (time and timemanagement) nobody can give you a precise anwser for.
Do it, feel it and you'll learn more about that than asking vague questions.

Besides that: the plans are also often adjusted to the time available.
So if there is only 1 day to shoot something: make sure it fits.
But that takes experience, so you can make serious estimations about the time you need.

So, it is time you go and shoot some video.

Here is a possible another example I am looking for, let's say you were filming a Guy take out the garbage how would you visually make that interesting in how many takes, shots and time do you think that would take?
I would do six shots and just one or two takes of each. Even
with just me as crew I could do this in one hour. If I didn't
use another person (me being the guy taking out the garbage)
it would take about two hours to shoot it.

After my set is all set up with lights, props are in place, and everything is completely "ready to go", I can
usually complete about 6 (usable) shots an hour. I generally work with inexperienced actors who need
multiple takes of any given shot, but all-in-all I average 6 usable takes an hour. That is with a simple
storyboard so that I always know what shot is "next" without wasting time thinking about it. I am always
prepared, but that is not always the case with the actors... You could be there for HOURS if the actor
has a brain freeze and can't remember dialogue. But if you have a shot list, you can really speed the
process along. My wife and I have produced/directed/shot a dozen "no-budget" feature films, and
planning for 6-shots an hour has really worked for us. If you don't want to work a 15-hour day, a
6-shots an hour plan will help...It's at least a blueprint for planning purposes. Just our two cents worth.
:yes:

so here is the video I created keep in mind this is basically my first ever video other then a 15 second video I shot. this way you have a clear example what i am talking about. https://youtu.be/YCI1-407tKM

Now if you watched it how you go about a video like this what would you do differently, what did you like about it. I know there are some obvious mistakes, but hey I am a one man crew not looking through the camera on takes, so I tried my best. Most importantly did you enjoy it? Because the most important thing I read or learn, is basically did it keep your interest. Let me know.

Thanks for all the comments prior and information you all have to share!

Last edited:
After my set is all set up with lights, props are in place, and everything is completely "ready to go", I can
usually complete about 6 (usable) shots an hour. I generally work with inexperienced actors who need
multiple takes of any given shot, but all-in-all I average 6 usable takes an hour. That is with a simple
storyboard so that I always know what shot is "next" without wasting time thinking about it. I am always
prepared, but that is not always the case with the actors... You could be there for HOURS if the actor
has a brain freeze and can't remember dialogue. But if you have a shot list, you can really speed the
process along. My wife and I have produced/directed/shot a dozen "no-budget" feature films, and
planning for 6-shots an hour has really worked for us. If you don't want to work a 15-hour day, a
6-shots an hour plan will help...It's at least a blueprint for planning purposes. Just our two cents worth.
:yes:

Thanks for that info, sounds like an idea 6-shots an hour. how much film time do you think that would equate to do you think?

Now if you watched it how you go about a video like this what would you do differently, what did you like about it.

The song is good, though it feels like I've heard it elsewhere /wink

Because the most important thing I read or learn, is basically did it keep your interest.

No. If it wasn't a video posted here, I would have closed the video in the first 10 seconds. It's pretty much the "wake up to the alarm student film". Openings set the feel for the rest of the film. If it wasn't for the music, I probably would have closed it at the 30 or 40 second mark.

See what you can do without ripping off top shelf music. You'll learn a bit more.

What you should really do is post your video in a separate thread. Start the thread off with what you think is right and wrong, what YOU would do to improve it. People can then pipe up with what they feel you missed.

Back