• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch How is this promotional video I did for someone?

I did watch the video a few times, now but what else can I do? Aside from the ending, which I haven't decided on yet, is there anything else I can do, besides put in a couple of more close ups?

The hole in the bucket video because um... that's what we're doing here.

Oh I see. Well I will try do to better next time. As for doing time lapse photography, I was told on here before, to just use one camera, cause I was not ready to use multiple cameras. Should I use multiples next time then?

As for as me being a 'self entitled millenial', I was thinking about that... When I work on other people's projects, I would show up whenever they asked. I took two trips out of my city to another one, and would work for long hours, when they wanted, which I liked doing. I was always on time, and did whatever they asked me to do. I also went out of my way to get some sounds or footage that they didn't even ask for, cause I wanted the projects to be good.

Was I being lazy or self entitled at all, when working under other people?

Last edited:
No, see, what you just described, that's what we call "work"

You think that showing up on time is extra special and that you deserve a pat on the back and a trophy. That is the typical millenial mindset "I did what you asked, why aren't you extremely happy?"

Here is another trophy.

Okay then. Well I will try to do better next time. Is there anything else more specific I can do in the editing to make it better?

Seriously dude? Stop the inane circular discussions. Go edit it! Stop asking! There's 5 pages of people helping already and you ask again!

Okay thanks. I will put in more close ups. I can make it longer, but one of the post says I need to cut it down, cause the pacing is slowed down in the opening, so I am not sure if I should add more, or make less. I will try adding more first.

You're the director go act like one.

Okay thanks. I will put in more close ups. I can make it longer, but one of the post says I need to cut it down, cause the pacing is slowed down in the opening, so I am not sure if I should add more, or make less. I will try adding more first.

Wow, that is what you read? Make it longer?

Shorten the clips. The opening clip was so long and boring, it made me want to take a nap. It's too slow. Please do not "make it longer". Make it quicker, faster, shorter.

Find a new song first.

Okay then. You mean the opening night shot of the building was too long?

As for next time, why is it that I should have done a time lapse? Is it essential or necessary? Or can I make a construction video interesting without one?

Last edited:
This is so typical:
"I did for someone" turns out "I did for my boss who let me shoot 2 hours a day at most".
Keeping out details that would surely change the comments you would get.

As for getting close ups: in the future ask workers if you can take a shot from up close.

You want to know what you can do?
That has been mentioned:
- shorten the video
- trim shots
- edit to the music

How can you shorten a video: by looking criticly: what shot can be tossed without being missed.
Do you need 4 similar shots of a machine in one sequence?

Do you know how to watch the waveforms of the audio, so you can edit to the music more precisely?

No, you don't need a timelapse.
It was an option you could have considered.
Get the logo and the right fonts.

Why are you using a nightshot?

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I didn't mention those details before, cause I didn't think it was worth mentioning, until the subject came up more specifically.

I thought the nightshot would be good, that's all.

As for showing the same machine from different angles, I could only show it from one, but I thought that cutting from angle to another, might be better, and give it a better flow.

I thought the impression was that I didn't get enough footage.... but I actually have a lot more I didn't use. But at the same time, I feel if I put more in, that it could be slow and it will over-make the point. Even with close ups, which I didn't use, I feel it will over-make the point. I can try putting in a few more close ups and see. Then trim each shot down a little. Yes I know how to watch the waveforms. Before I work on the music more, I should probably get the video right though, I figure, and edit the music to the final copy of the video.

Last edited:
You are getting better with your posts.

See... you didn't end that one with a question, and you had conviction in your voice, and reasons for your choices. That is called directing.

Stay on that path! Seriously! You know the more you ask the more opinions you get, and you know what they say about opinions. Just have faith in your own choices.

Dude, change the song first! That will do wonders for your piece. If it were my project, that is the very first thing I would do. Then, you can work around your new song.

Otherwise, changes you make now may not apply well to a new soundtrack.

These threads are rich with mistakes!
Yep, and which you just learned, participating in a H44 thread is one of them ;)

I thought Sweetie was being a little harsh.
I am being harsh. It has more to do with what he needs than anything. Not that being the prick isn't occasionally fun and I have to admit my impatience does get the better of me with him, it's not the mode I prefer to operate.

going the extra mile.
Being better than your competition. If you're not as good, your only option is to work harder, more etc.

There's a hole in my bucket. That's hilarious. Perfect h44 desctiprion. Stir in a mental disorder or two and you're spot on.

This isn't happening. Nobody is this dense.
Yep, you've been h44'd.

maybe I just needed to put my foot down [snip I think I listened to them too much
Nope. You failed to do your job. It's that simple.

Does the bridge builder use form when the boss explains the model was made from foam? You're supposed to be the professional, not him. Your boss isn't expected to know how to get from point A to point B. You are.

Yoda says, that is why you fail.

that is what you read? Make it longer?
There's a chance that he took my comment about needing to breathe as an excuse to make it longer.

From what's I remember, my best guess is it should be about a 45 to 60 second segment. If not less. There are just too many elements that should have been captured that weren't. As always with editing, garbage in = garbage out.

I suspect the problem stems from the planning to fail conundrum: A failure to plan is planning to fail.

If this was h44 doing a building construction, he'd have 2 windows, a sky light, an awning and 2 walls, and sixteen nails, a screwdriver and a cow. He'd then need to know how to build a cupboard and a Banana.

If H44 cannot figure out the easy stuff like this on his own, what'll happen when the tough problems arise? The voices in his head will have him back here asking how to build that paddle for his imaginary shit creek.

Okay thanks. Well I will do the best I can for this one.

Next time, if I do a job of shooting construction again, I will try to come up with a better plan to work around. Thanks.

What elements could I capture next time? I have more elements that I didn't use, but I feel it might over-make the point, and it's just not necessary to show. But I could put more in if that's better as well. I feel conflicted of what to do, cause on the one hand, I am told to cut it down, but yet on the other, I should have more elements in there, which I could put in.

I could put in more footage, if there are elements that are missing, but at the same time, how can I show a building being put together and not have it feel like it's boring or slow, or should move a long faster... As for changing the music, the client might want this music now, so I will have to see about what he says, if I suggest changing it.

Last edited:
how can I show a building being put together and not have it feel like it's boring or slow, or should move a long faster

This question needed to be answered before you shot a frame of film. You didn't come up with a plan before and now you're inputting garbage and somehow expecting a different output.

You shot a turd. Now you're trying to reshape that turd in editing. You're adding water, mixing different turds together, using different spoons, drying them out, rubbing them on your face, putting it in a different turd box. Hell, you probably even tried to bake that turd. It won't really matter what you do to it, until you add proper ingredients, your end result will stink.

I could put in more footage
Adding your other turds to the mix isn't going to change it. The elements you needed were not turd like. You didn't shoot/make/get them. If you did, they would have ended up in the edit.

What elements could I capture next time?
All of the elements you decided were important. You were supposed to capture the story of the building. You ended up putting some random shots to music. A montage. It's fine for a part of the story, but the whole thing?

You didn't understand what you needed to do. You failed to do basic research to gain ideas on what you should include in your project. Now you're at the tail end of the project, asking us how to polish a turd.

I feel conflicted of what to do
You don't possess what it takes to polish this turd into a usable, professional outcome. Of course you're conflicted. You don't have the experience required.

You have 3 options:

1). Pay a turd whisper (professional editor) to polish your turd.
2). Take it out back and put it out of its misery.
3). Shelve it until you have gained the experience required to polish your stinker to a watchable standard.

Whatever you do, gargling it is not advised.

Back