• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch How is this promotional video I did for someone?

Be careful with this. When done right, editing is an invisible art. Continually cutting to the same beat can bring the editing to the foreground to the point where the viewer is anticipating a cut.

Good point.

In this case, I'm just trying to get him familiar with the idea. Once he gets that then he can fine tue it. I'm not as skilled as most guys here, but I'm learning. I actually learn quite a bit from reading all the advice that is thrown at H44, in all of his threads, so, it's not necessarily wasted time on the part of the guys advising him. There are a lot of guys who won't post that read this and pick up things.

H44,

I know more about life and work than film, so here is the real underlying reason why you failed.

You had zero hustle in your game. You are probably a millennial if I had to guess. Even if I am wrong on that front, I'm not wrong that you had no hustle. Every generation has lazy people in it.

This is your first real job (as far as we know). Why didn't you do everything in your power to knock this one out of the park? You should have worked twice as long and three times as hard on this project than anyone expected in their most unreasonable expectations of you.

I see no reason why a time lapse wasn't included on this. Borrow a second camera for time lapse. (Even a two hour time lapse is something). Use your phone. Borrow someone else's phone. Get someone to help you. My $250 Panasonic point and shoot can do time lapse. Get a used GoPro, find a f#($!@ g second camera!!! Hustle!!!

Show up on the weekend. People work on weekends all the time. Saturday and Sunday. You say you were given two hours a day???? Bullshit. Stay longer, come early, stay late. Come out there three times a day. Get the sunrise over the project. Every shot is high noon. Get up early man! Hustle!!!

You say you can't get up close? Bullshit. You didn't try. Ask people if you can film them. If someone says no, ask someone else. I worked in construction. You can get up close. You can zoom. You didn't even try! Hustle!!!

Your next job depended on this job. How can you not know that? You were given an opportunity to show the world that you can do this and you barely even tried. Hustle!!!

There was no plan, there was no effort beyond showing up and shooting a few shots, there was no extra time or effort put in to it. I have nieces and nephews and this is how they act. Do the bare minimum to get by and go home and play or drink.

I can see it in your final product. You didn't even review this before putting it out. You didn't go over it and try to see what is wrong, try to make it better. There was absolutely no effort put into making this the best product you are capable of.

You threw a bunch of clips on a plate and served it to us and asked us to put it together for you. Jeez, the ending showed just how much you don't care.

If you want to work as an independent anything, you have to put in 12 hour days, 6 days a week. You have to hustle. When you hit a roadblock, do not allow it to become your excuse as to why plan X didn't work out. Try another route. Hustle!!!

You are not cut out for any self employed position with the half assed excuse ridden answers you give us to every question.

Learn the art of hustling and working hard and you can make up for deficiencies in other parts of your work.

There are a lot of guys who won't post that read this and pick up things.

It's a pity you, and them, don't ask questions. If you follow h44 threads, you'll solidly understand how to make excuses and get yelled at. I'm not sure how much solid info suitable to common filming circumstances you'd find in his threads. Most advice is these threads is written with the assumption that talent is lacking, common sense is non-existant and the intended target cannot learn.

I've love to see some serious editing discussions.

Sweetie,

Inside these critiques are little nuggets of info that I have picked up. Yeah, I know there are better threads than this to learn from. I'm just pointing out a little silver lining.

I'm no pro. I have no friends who can operate a camera. I'm on my own with this. So, the internet is my only source of info. Nobody has ever picked up a camera in front of me and said, "This is the focus ring..." etc.

There are basic newbie mistakes I still have yet to make. I'm trying to learn from others mistakes. These threads are rich with mistakes!

H44,

I know more about life and work than film, so here is the real underlying reason why you failed.

You had zero hustle in your game. You are probably a millennial if I had to guess. Even if I am wrong on that front, I'm not wrong that you had no hustle. Every generation has lazy people in it.

This is your first real job (as far as we know). Why didn't you do everything in your power to knock this one out of the park? You should have worked twice as long and three times as hard on this project than anyone expected in their most unreasonable expectations of you.

I see no reason why a time lapse wasn't included on this. Borrow a second camera for time lapse. (Even a two hour time lapse is something). Use your phone. Borrow someone else's phone. Get someone to help you. My $250 Panasonic point and shoot can do time lapse. Get a used GoPro, find a f#($!@ g second camera!!! Hustle!!!

Show up on the weekend. People work on weekends all the time. Saturday and Sunday. You say you were given two hours a day???? Bullshit. Stay longer, come early, stay late. Come out there three times a day. Get the sunrise over the project. Every shot is high noon. Get up early man! Hustle!!!

You say you can't get up close? Bullshit. You didn't try. Ask people if you can film them. If someone says no, ask someone else. I worked in construction. You can get up close. You can zoom. You didn't even try! Hustle!!!

Your next job depended on this job. How can you not know that? You were given an opportunity to show the world that you can do this and you barely even tried. Hustle!!!

There was no plan, there was no effort beyond showing up and shooting a few shots, there was no extra time or effort put in to it. I have nieces and nephews and this is how they act. Do the bare minimum to get by and go home and play or drink.

I can see it in your final product. You didn't even review this before putting it out. You didn't go over it and try to see what is wrong, try to make it better. There was absolutely no effort put into making this the best product you are capable of.

You threw a bunch of clips on a plate and served it to us and asked us to put it together for you. Jeez, the ending showed just how much you don't care.

If you want to work as an independent anything, you have to put in 12 hour days, 6 days a week. You have to hustle. When you hit a roadblock, do not allow it to become your excuse as to why plan X didn't work out. Try another route. Hustle!!!

You are not cut out for any self employed position with the half assed excuse ridden answers you give us to every question.

Learn the art of hustling and working hard and you can make up for deficiencies in other parts of your work.

Okay thanks. The client is also my boss in my day job. He would send me out for two hours or less a day, and then he wanted me to go back to working my regular job, since I work for him. So he literally only gave me two hours or less a day. I couldn't just put off my regular day job, and work 12 hours a day on this unless he wanted me to, which he didn't. There are times I would show up to get more shots, and he would tell me no, and put me to work in the office. Since he is my boss I have to do what he says, don't I?

I didn't think of the time lapse, in this type of project and style, but will considerate next time, and learn more about doing one. I don't like leaving my camera out there though, when I have to work on another job, though, and who knows what would happen to it.

If the boss was willing to have me come in for 12 hours a day, to get all this footage, then I would have. But he only allowed 2 per day at most. So if I need more hustle, and the client says I can only be there at this time from this time, and that's it, then what? He had the final say. If they did work weekends, I didn't know about it, and the boss told me two hours day, monday to thursday, that's all I get.

As for a time lapse, I just wanted to give the client what he asked for, and he never discussed a time lapse in the plan. He wanted before and afters, but I did tell him at the time that a time lapse was not possible, or so I didn't think it was, with only being able to do it for 2 hours a day. He said that's fine. So since he said it was fine, I took at as fine for him.

You say if I want to work independent on anything I have to put in 12 hours days, six days a week. But what about my regular day job. I still need to make money and pay bills in the mean time. So what can I do to work that many hours, when I have a job and I cannot make enough money off of filmmaking alone? If I told him no, I won't do my regular job, and I'm going to shoot more footage instead, I would work risk getting fired. I am not blaming him or anything, on having two hours a day, but he does have the power to fire me, not just from the video gig, but from my regular job as a whole.

As for getting in closer, they told me I couldn't but I guess next time, I will just not listen and do it anyway :). Now that I see the time lapse video and it turns out I can do it on my camera, I can consider it for future projects. However, since I have a day job, how can I leave a camera in one place for a whole day, without it being stolen or broken, by someone? That's my fear, as I am not stupid enough to do that.

As for throwing random shots together in the editing, what can I do better in the editing, of this project? I edited the footage in the order of the changes made to the building so is there anything I can do to make it feel in order, and not random?

And yes, I suppose I could have gotten the sunrise over the project. I didn't really occur to me to do a sunrise. That's good advice for next time, thanks.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I didn't realize that he owned you after work and on the weekends. My bad. I'm sorry.

Holy shit man. You just proved everything that I just said. You are a lazy, entitled, millenial.

You want to be a filmmaker yet you can't bring yourself to go an extra inch, much less the extra mile it takes to be successful at anything.

Jeezus man, you had a chance to impress your next film job with this one. This was the break you needed to be considered a professional, but you couldn't bring yourself to work harder than the couple hours your boss gave you off work to do it. So basically, you did almost nothing extra to produce this.

What a wasted opportunity.

It's a mindset of your generation. I'll do the least amount possible. Nothing extra. I'll ask for other people to wipe my chin at every step and then just lay down and ask them to do it for me.

I thought Sweetie was being a little harsh. But it turns out he's right. It's time to hang it up and retire. There is no way you will make it at this pace.

Okay thanks. I did go in off the extra hours, but a lot of times the boss would want to put me to work on something else. But I did get a lot of footage when I came in extra, and some of what you see, in the video, is that footage. I can try to come in more for next time.

So just to get this straight, if I show up to get footage, and the boss wants me to do other stuff, should I just say no? A lot of times I would also go in to see what I could get, the construction guys were either not there, or they were, but they were often not doing anything interesting, and just waiting around for something. So after a few hours of that I would just leave for the day, since nothing was happening. Next time I could stick around more in case something does.

Next time I will try to do what you say. I don't want to be a millennial. I will attempt to do better next time. If I do another job, like this, one thing I am worried about are the cameras being stolen, since I have a day job to work at, and cannot be at a place for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, without getting fired. So I have to work my day job. So if I put cameras in place for a time lapse, how can I prevent them from being stolen? Or what can I do to shoot a time lapse, and still go to my regular day job, so I don't get fired?

If I do another job like this, next time I will try to get more control of a plan and try to get the construction guys to work on a plan with me, rather than just seeing what they will do. The bigger problem is, is construction workers, work for so much time in the week, and I have a regular job to go to, so the scheduling is conflicting. Is there anything I can do about that?

Last edited:
By the way, "hustle" means going the extra mile. Doing extra work (without being paid) and trying harder than anyone else in your situation normally would.

It makes you stand out as being better than the rest. it would .... oh, forget it. I'm wasting my time. I have things I have to do (for no pay) because it's what I have to do to make it in my industry. I have to show up and produce, when my competition is off resting or doing something else. It's how I have paid my bills since 1998. I swung a hammer while I was building my business so that I could pay rent and a note on my truck while I was building a reputation in a difficult industry.

Good luck Ryan.

You are good with the excuses. Make a plan. Come up with an idea. Do it on your own. Stop asking for help and do some problem solving. Come back with a better product and people will help you. But you have to put up the effort.

Stop typing excuses here and get to work fixing the footage

Okay thanks for the advice.

What can I do to fix the footage though? I have a few more close ups I can use, but what else can I do, editing wise?

As far as getting creative for next time, if I do another job like this, that requires time lapsing, I am going to have to tell the client, that I will need some sort of compensation or something if it means quitting my day job, or I will have to come up with a plan to leave my camera there, and insure, no one messes with it. Something like that I guess, as far as my own plan would be.

Last edited:
I am not sure what to do though, when I have a day job to pay bills, and the film projects are during those hours.

This isn't happening. Nobody is this dense.

Ok, you work on the project after you punch out. It is an insane idea, I know, but people have been known to work long hours without being paid for it. It's how people used to get ahead in life.

Here is a trophy for trying.

Okay thanks. I will try to do better next time and get more footage. I actually have a lot more I didn't use. I just thought the rest of it was not much happening, and I chose the best shots. I could use more if that's good, but I was afraid it would slow down the pacing.

This isn't happening. Nobody is this dense.

Ok, you work on the project after you punch out. It is an insane idea, I know, but people have been known to work long hours without being paid for it. It's how people used to get ahead in life.

Here is a trophy for trying.

Okay thanks. When I punched out though, the construction had gone home by then. Basically they would work 8 to 4:30, same as my time. There were a few times they didn't and I got some footage. But yes, having worked the same hours on my day job, as they did, and me only getting two hours, I did miss a lot.

I do have a lot more footage and still pictures though. I could use those, but I felt that not much is happening in the them, and the machines are just there and staying still a lot.

Okay thanks. When I punched out though, the construction had gone home by then. Basically they would work 8 to 4:30, same as my time. There were a few times they didn't and I got some footage. But yes, having worked the same hours on my day job, as they did, and me only getting two hours, I did miss a lot.

I do have a lot more footage and still pictures though. I could use those, but I felt that not much is happening in the them, and the machines are just there and staying still a lot.

Crap. You are right.

I think this one was just too hard. You better wait for an easy one to come along.

Here's another trophy.

Well maybe I just needed to put my foot down more and tell the boss and the construction crew we need to do this project more on my terms and stuff like that... I think I listened to them too much, and they would say I could only do this, this and this... and I just said okay, and shouldn't have.

Last edited:
Back