How essential are filters?

Hey guys,

I'm starting to get into video and wish to improve my skill's, and to improve the quality of my videos.
Currently i am using a Canon HF G10 with a Rode NTG-2 and Zoom H4n to record audio. I will also be receiving a 1.1m reflector kit mid-late January.

Other equipment i have been looking at are filters. Two filters i have in mind are ND filter's and a Circular polarizing Filter. Most of my video's will be spot in either 24p or 25p and i would like a nice cinematic motion, so im amusing i would be required to shoot at 1/50th shutter speed, but i would also like to keep a shallow depth of field a majority of the time. The one i had in mind is a 58mm Hoya filter which has a knob to adjust the amount it darkens by.

The second filter, the circular polarizing filter, would be a nice addition to have better contrast between the scene and the sky, as well as for shooting near water or other reflective surfaces. Again, i was looking at the one in the Hoya Pro range for the multi-coating surface and UV case.

Would anyone here recommend or advise against getting any of the above filter, or reccomend any other types of filters to use instead? As the filters will be 58mm, they should also fit onto the lens's of my DLSR which i also look forward to.

I have a UV on every lens. More than the UV treatment, they're good for scratch protection. If something happens and your $2000 lens is scratched, it's a big deal. If your $25 UV filter is scratched, not so much.

CPL is handy, but not something you'll use every shoot.

ND is a must for DSLR users wanting to keep a shallow DOF outdoors. The variable ND filter is the best, but they're pricey. An ok one is around $125, and a good one is $300. Anything less than that will destroy your image, avoid them. They give you between 2 and 8 stops of ND usually, all in one filter. I like to keep a 77mm and use step up rings because most lenses with a screw on filter don't go past 77mm.

Now, since you're not using a DSLR, the ND isn't as crucial to maintain a super shallow DOF. You're DOF is going to be pretty deep regardless, so not really worth the money.

Again, on your camera, the CPL is handy to reduce glass/water glare. But not an everyday use filter.

UV is a no brainer, should be the first thing you buy for your lens.

Hope that helps!

Agreed on the UV for protection. The only other thing I would screw on my lens is additional ND filters. Anything else is better applied in post.
not true. for example, graduated filters in scenes that require more latitude than the camera can capture. For example, panoramic shots, often you can't expose the sky and landscape both.

Perhaps so, but there are some fixes for it them that could be done in post. I'll amend my comment to state that beginning and intermediate filmmakers shouldn't add filters to the front of your lens because the effect can't be undone if it doesn't look quite right in post. For advance cinematographers, they don't need advice from people in forums and wouldn't be asking in the first place. :)

Good luck.

ND and Polarizers are absolute MUST HAVE filters in your kit.
ND Grads are a really nice filter as well as mentioned above to wrangle the sky into exposure, but can have a noticeable edge to it that takes some care on set to make as invisible as possible by careful framing.
Colored Grads can add cool effects to the frame (think CSI:Miami's first 3 seasons), but are REALLY noticeable and that can be added in post so long as you shoot you exposures correctly. Correct exposure should be your primary concern.

There are also thread adapters that will let you get differently sized filters... I'd recommend only going larger though as the filters will vignette as you stack them... although going larger as you go out is a way to avoid the vignetting as well.

I've got a nice B&W UV filter on my Tokina 11-16mm but now I am reading that perhaps a filter like this can effect the image quality. Wondering if I should take it off and see what a difference it makes?

I've also read the debate over simple protective filter vs. not is quite ongoing?

I've talked about this before. It depends on the quality of the filter.

A lot of people buy a nice 800-900 lens and then skimp on the filter and get a cheap 20 or 30 dollar one. Get a good quality filter, otherwise you're just wasting the lens you got.

For reference, get at least Hoya or preferably even better brands.

Back