How do YOU record your sound?

This mainly goes to people who do low low budget films. How do you record your audio? Do you use a zoom H4n? Or another recorder? Mic's?

If you do, any test footage?

Well, the sound supervisor said they were making a student film so they taught them how to record sound to a DAT player but the film still had to sound like a student film so they let them "tastefully" mess it up.

They added crickets, ambiences and subtle things in post, but overall it was just sweetened raw audio.

Most of the budget went to transferring digibeta to 35mm.

I'd believe that. Don't get me wrong, I love that film.

Well, the sound supervisor said they were making a student film so they taught them how to record sound to a DAT player but the film still had to sound like a student film so they let them "tastefully" mess it up.

They added crickets, ambiences and subtle things in post, but overall it was just sweetened raw audio.

Most of the budget went to transferring digibeta to 35mm.

Yeah - for every dollar they spent on that film, they made $10,000.

This film was in the Guinness Book Of World Records for "Top Budget:Box Office Ratio" (for a mainstream feature film). The film cost $22,000 to make and made back $240.5 million, a ratio of $1 spent for every $10,931 made.

So, I guess you don't need good audio to make money in this business,

but it's a lot easier on the audience when you have good sound ;)

On our first film together my DP just refused. He basically said if you're going to run sound into my camera and make me have to fight that cable while I'm trying to operate you can find another DP. I wanted to use him (20 years in LA as an operator on TV shows and low budget films), so I've always run separate.

On our first film together my DP just refused. He basically said if you're going to run sound into my camera and make me have to fight that cable while I'm trying to operate you can find another DP. I wanted to use him (20 years in LA as an operator on TV shows and low budget films), so I've always run separate.

I used to plug into the camera, cuz that was all I had. Now that I've been forced, due to camera choice, to record seperately, I'll never go back. It's rather liberating, not being tied down.

Back