How do YOU record your sound?

This mainly goes to people who do low low budget films. How do you record your audio? Do you use a zoom H4n? Or another recorder? Mic's?

If you do, any test footage?

Cracker Funk, How do you like the setup? It was the same setup i was considering? Is it worth it? Any other options i can do within those price range? Sounded fine to me..

Well, like I said, I don't have anything to compare it to, cuz it's the only decent setup I've ever used. Alcove and ROC are our resident audio guys, and Alcove seems to think that there is a better option than this setup.

Yeah, I liked it, just fine. But again, I don't possess the knowledge to know if I could've had something better, in the same price-range.

Man, that's cheap. No offense, if you can get it for that low, go for it.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of gear do they show up with?

I would expect a quality field recorder (not an H4), a mic (NTG-2 or better), a real boom pole with shock mount, and their own high quality headphones. I could post an ad asking for that, with $100 a day as the rate on Craigslist right now, and by tomorrow I'd have 15 responses.

Whew! I was worried you might say they show up with a SD442 and 4 channels of lectro as well as what you listed.

Thanks for the reply.

I would expect a quality field recorder (not an H4), a mic (NTG-2 or better), a real boom pole with shock mount, and their own high quality headphones. I could post an ad asking for that, with $100 a day as the rate on Craigslist right now, and by tomorrow I'd have 15 responses.

Thanks for your input guys. Still fuzzy on what do to considering sound. I do not want to hire someone. Would like to do it on my own. With my own equipment. So, so far, the best but cheap setup is the H4n and Ntg?

My advice is to invest now and you'll save later.

A battery-powered recorder that runs through 2 AA batteries in one day (H4n) will cost a lot of money if you use it for a year of shooting.

The slightly more expensive equipment Alcove recommended will probably pay for itself just by number of batteries you won't need.

It's your money. I'd invest so you have a pro set-up for a long time.

This video may interest some of you. Of course, it doesn't sound so great with the "chorusy" Youtube compression, but worth a look.

ADR and recording EXILE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2SQJyUxP4

I love the masks!

I love the ADR in the dark scene before the masks.

And the segment before that, for the love of god don't let the actor hold the paper 5 inches in front of his face! That ruins the sound IMO :) Not your fault he didn't bring his glasses to the shoot, though!

Good job! That sounded great, I thought. Especially the mask futz.

My advice is to invest now and you'll save later.

A battery-powered recorder that runs through 2 AA batteries in one day (H4n) will cost a lot of money if you use it for a year of shooting.

The slightly more expensive equipment Alcove recommended will probably pay for itself just by number of batteries you won't need.

It's your money. I'd invest so you have a pro set-up for a long time.

Thats true. But im only 15.. I have no idea where to come up with the money?!

Ha yeah. It sucks. I cant really hire anyone, no body would take me serious. And i cant buy too much gear. So i hoping to spend no more than 500$ on sound equipment that is somewhat decent.

im only 15.. I have no idea where to come up with the money?!

This might sound crazy - but if you really want something bad enough, sometimes you have to work for it.

Get a job, and cut your expenses. If you spend $10 a week at the cinema, stop going and throw that money into a jar. Get a part-time job on the weekends, or after school. Ask your parents if they can help - they might know someone who works in the biz, and be able to hook you up as an assistant. Or they might have a friend who shoots weddings, who needs help on sound. Or you might end up mowing lawns or washing cars.

Never use your age as an excuse. If you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen. :)

Never use your age as an excuse. If you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen. :)

Great advice! I believe everything you said. How else do you think i bought my Canon T2i with my own money. None of my parents. Its just that i invested everything i had and it took so long to attain that money. So trying to save some time and money and get some sound. Since sound on DSLR is just horrid.. :grumpy:

You're still in the lucky time of your life where you get to have a job and keep 100% of the money. Make the most of it, work your ass off and if you have time left over, make movies with your t2i, you don't need to worry about sound right away. Make some silent films or some music videos. :)

You're still in the lucky time of your life where you get to have a job and keep 100% of the money. Make the most of it, work your ass off and if you have time left over, make movies with your t2i, you don't need to worry about sound right away. Make some silent films or some music videos. :)

I agree, and disagree, respectfully. I personally think it's okay to start making your first shorts with crappy sound (in-cam mic, or cheap unbalanced mic that will plug directly into the camera). Get the sound equipment when you can, but don't let that stop you from making your first shorts.

Forgive me if it sounds like I'm bragging, but whenever this discussion comes up, I think it's appropriate for me to mention that my team won the audience award, and took home more awards than any other team, in last years Richmond 48HFP, and we were up against one of the biggest advertising firms on the East Coast (they took overrall champ; us runner-up). And we did it with a $30 unbalanced mic, plugged directly into the (non-HD) camera.

Eventually, you'll not just want, but need, better sound. But in the beginning, just do whatever you can with what you've got.

lol remember the sound on Blair-Witch Project?

Purposefully made awful, but it was tasteful and really got a reaction from the audience.

It can be done, but when you get the sound right, you really launch your audience into the movie.

Where's Pedro to tell me I'm wrong...

Thanks so much guys. It helps alot that you guys are trying to help. Im actually considering doing my short, but trying to do a little less talking. Ill see how it goes and ill post it for you guys critique. (=

While Blair Witch is an excellent example of what low budgets can do, Artisan Pictures spent approximately $350,000 getting Blair Witch to the big screen. It's my understanding that nearly $100,000 of that was spent on fixing sound.

lol remember the sound on Blair-Witch Project?

Purposefully made awful, but it was tasteful and really got a reaction from the audience.

It can be done, but when you get the sound right, you really launch your audience into the movie.

Where's Pedro to tell me I'm wrong...

Back