• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you guys get in the zone?

I have my ways, I'm just curious to hear yours.

I like to drink a little or smoke some ganja...

I also like to listen to music

I will even watch a favorite movie to help get into the film mind.

How do you guys get in the zone?

I must admit, it's been a lot harder since they stepped up the dog patrols, but now we've worked out their rotating patrol pattern we can still slip in through the old sewer gate.

1sm187sneak.gif

I get a movie soundtrack album for a film similar to what I wanna write about, then play that all day while I'm writing.

I would love to be high and start writing but I'm under obligation to my gf and kids so I must dig deeper to my level conscious mind and be creative.

I get a movie soundtrack album for a film similar to what I wanna write about, then play that all day while I'm writing.

I would love to be high and start writing but I'm under obligation to my gf and kids so I must dig deeper to my level conscious mind and be creative.

Indeed! Playing movie soundtracks that match your genre can be super duper inspiring. :yes:

I read the afterword of a novel in which the writer said. "every novel has a secret sound track that only the author knows about." This seems to be a good method for finding groves etc..

I get away from the computer, and go on a jog with a notepad and pen. I will also mediate. I'll sit down and listen to music. I'll read my favorite books, and watch my favorite movies. I'll make long lists of random things that come to my mind. I'll write without stopping, even if it makes no sense. I'll take apart a movie and examine it.

besides always tinkering with ideas on my mind and writing them on my cellphone till i get home, when i really want to write i just feel it and then i usually smoke some good head-high ganja (sweet tooth always helps) and the thing just seems to write itself.

if it's the friend zone you're talking about, i try my best to stay out of there!

Amen, brother. May you never find you're self trapped in such a horrible place where i've been so many times.

Last edited:
It's definitely all about the music for me. I have playlists for different genres and they help me lock into that zone. What I like to do is put on my head phones and imagine for a while...let the images come to me as if I was watching a movie in my head. Then I just write what I saw in my mind.

Back