how do you get black bars like movies?

why do movies have black bars on the screen? how do you get this effect? the only way i know how to do it, is by manually adding them in with premiere, but then thats bad because they mess with the framing that I had when I shot the footage.

Those are there because the film was shot on a format that is a wider aspect ratio than the tv you are viewing on. Some people do add them in post to create a wider aspect ratio than their camera is capable of, but you generally have to plan ahead and compose the shots with the new aspect ratio when you shoot.

why do movies have black bars on the screen?
My question may come of as sarcastic but I ask with all sincerity: do
you understand aspect ratio?

When I was shooting with a camera that did not shoot 16x9 but wanted
my final project to be widescreen I would put tape on the viewfinder
and on the monitor. Worked great.

Shoot with 2x anamorphic glass on a 4:3 sensor OR
Shoot with 1.3x anamorphic glass (eg. Hawk V-Lites) on a 16:9 sensor OR
Bring up the frame lines in your viewfinder/on-board and director/client monitor OR
Shoot a framing chart. Fill the frame with the chart, and then tape off the top and bottom image areas that you will be cropping.

Hey jax_rox,
can you elaborate a bit on the "shoot a framing chart..." option. Not sure how to go about that...
My monitor \ cam does not have the framing guides I want..

Me, I just frame for 16x9 but edit in 1920x800 using the extra height for post re-framing options. This works OK'ish, but Id like to have the wide guides to work from..

EDIT: If I were to put tape on my monitor it would be clear tape. You can still SEE the frame guide, but also see whats out of the frame but still being recorded, instant over-scan. Or I suppose you could use thin pinstripe tape ..

Last edited:
Hey jax_rox,
can you elaborate a bit on the "shoot a framing chart..." option. Not sure how to go about that...

Me, I just frame for 16x9 but edit in 1920x800 using the extra height for post re-framing options. This works OK'ish, but Id like to have the wide guides to work from..
I'm pretty sure he's saying to print out a rectangle, in your case with the ratio 1920:800. Or cut one out of a piece of paper so that the ratio is correct.... e.g. a piece of printer paper cut to be 11 inches x 4-5/8 inches would have that ratio.

Tape it on the wall horizontally. Put your camera on a tripod at the same level as the paper on the wall, and zoom in until the side edges of the paper fills the LCD display to the edges. Center camera vertically, and place tape on the LCD where the image edges fall on the top and bottom of the paper.

That will give you tape on the LCD where 800 vertical will match 1920 horizontal, and you can use that for framing.

Last edited:
Hey jax_rox,

EDIT: If I were to put tape on my monitor it would be clear tape. You can still SEE the frame guide, but also see whats out of the frame but still being recorded, instant over-scan. Or I suppose you could use thin pinstripe tape ..

cinezonerear.jpg

Something like this. You want to fill the frame, so the outer frame line is at the edge of frame. Then, you go to town and tape up your monitor(s), with the frame lines you're framing for.
Personally, I'm happy using camera tape. I don't want the Director seeing outside the frame lines (as I'll probably get pulled up for a boom or something being in shot when it's really not - even after the 5th time I've explained it to him), and I personally prefer to not see Surround View (8 times out of 10 anyway). Plus, an opaque tape makes the line easier to see, and easier to see exactly what is and isn't in frame. I've torn camera tape pretty thin, thin enough to use as frame guides on Blackmagic cameras, so that's not too much of an issue. Even on RED Cameras, which are able to display frame lines, I often tape the top and bottom of the screen, simply because I don't want to be distracted, or frame incorrectly because of something that's not even in the frame.

i.e.
941548_166961560143970_1575800611_n.jpg

I've heard of people using screen protectors, and drawing lines in sharpie onto the screen protector, but I find you sometimes lose resolution on a screen protector (and most cameras I use are rented anyway, so I don't want to be drawing on the screen, even if it's got a screen protector on it ;))

Most cinema cameras will be able to provide frame lines anyway, and if not most on-board monitors should be able to, or you should be able to get the appropriate ground glass if shooting film.

Back