How do actors do so well on their directorial debuts when...?

A lot of big name actors get their debuts to direct, but how do a lot of them do so well, when they haven't even made any short films before? They just go straight from acting to directing, it seems without having any previous material reviewed, to see if it's any good, or get any feedback. At least none that I can find.

I know what you mean!!!

They're all so inexperienced. Probably haven't ever been on a film set, don't understand how lighting and cameras work, don't know how to get people to act. It's weird that they even know what to do with the scripts given that they've probably never read one in their lives! I just can't get to grips with how they can tell actors how to perform; what do they know about performing?!?!

It really is a mystery to me...

Because filmmaking is a collaborative effort, and one big name can attract other big names, in all departments.

That's not to take away anything from people like Affleck, for example. I've got mad respect for that actor-turned-director, and there are plenty of others like him. It's worth noting that just as many actor-turned-directors fail.

The point I make, though, is that the experiences and opportunities are obviously not the same, between you, me, and Ben Affleck. Forget asking how he did it. You're not in his shoes, not even slightly. Only question worth asking is how you will do it.

On a more serious note...

The person would recommend taking a look at is Peter Mullan. He's a phenomenal actor but before he made the leap to direct feature films, he produced a series of acclaimed shorts. His short film Fridge is one of my all time favorite shorts and proved to financial backers that he had the directorial talent to make features.

I know what you mean!!!

They're all so inexperienced. Probably haven't ever been on a film set, don't understand how lighting and cameras work, don't know how to get people to act. It's weird that they even know what to do with the scripts given that they've probably never read one in their lives! I just can't get to grips with how they can tell actors how to perform; what do they know about performing?!?!

It really is a mystery to me...

Sure they've been on set, and read scripts. I know that, but they haven't actually directed and edited themselves previously. They've witnessed it, but haven't done it.

Sure they've been on set, and read scripts. I know that, but they haven't actually directed and edited themselves previously. They've witnessed it, but haven't done it.

Hmm... I think you might be overestimating the importance of technical filmmaking.

When I think that Badlands was Terrence Mallick's first film (bar the one, impossible to find short he did) I think of how, with a fine eye, a proper vision and commitment to the process, anyone can make a masterpiece.

Why so some actors make good directors? Because they've spent hundreds of hours on film sets watching directors at work, seeing which shots make them look good, learning how to get the best possible performance out, reading throu scripts to find the projects wit the best roles...etc.

Sure, they might not know how to operate a camera or edit the film, but that's not the director's job. Personally I think there are probably a lot of actors who are dum as sin but I also think that there are a lot of smart ones who have a wonderful understanding of the filmmaking process that comes from being an actor. I'm not sure why it surprises you that they should be able to competently direct actors and crew.

Well it's just a lot of directors on here have had experience in the equipment more and the editing. I was told to get experience there too, but it sounds like being on set is more important. So why do a lot of directors learn the actual shooting and editing if in the end it's not their job anyway? Is it because they live in places like me and there are no movie sets to be found?

Last edited:
Well it's just a lot of directors on here have had experience in the equipment more and the editing. I was told to get experience there too, but it sounds like being on set is more important.

That's because we're at the indie microbudget level. Budget constraints force us to be able to do everything. These actors tend to be able to secure funding in the millions, allowing them to hire and surround themselves with a team of extremely talented professionals.

But you would still have to hire a camera person and sound person, you can't do everything yourselves. You can do the editing and mixing in post to save money, but not the other two, while directing, at least not simultaneously of course.

Howard Hughes won an academy award and he's wasn't anything, accept a billionare. Give me 100 million and I'll make a masterpiece, like Water World. :) Okay that last bit was a joke. But really, money goes along way in securing the best talent. In whatever capacity that might be.

You set the mic up on a stand. It's not ideal, but it'll work in a pinch as long as your talent is stationary. You can still monitor via headphones. Again, it's not ideal, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

Okay how do I hold the camera, and operate the boom, simultaneously?

Okay, I'm sick of this BS. I'm gonna tell you what you want to hear: Yea man. You're right. NO WAY you could ever figure that out. Might as well pack it up. It's impossible to make a movie. You gave it your best. No reason to feel bad.

I mean really. What kind of loser, defeatist BS is that man. FInd the local ape and hand him the boom. You don't neccessarily need Sam The Sound man to record your film. It woul;d be nice but not a must. And if you're too dumb to figure some of this elementary BS out on your own, then there really is no hope....Period.

Last edited:
Well yeah I could get just anyone to hold it, but they have not practiced working the recorder, and watching the levels, riding the levels etc. I'm still learning, but not just anyone can do it without experience. I could stand it up on a pole, which is what I have tried, but you can't have the actors move around and talk, because the pole won't move. I shot a short and am going to edit it, but I could not find a way to record the sound simultaneously.

Last edited:
Well yeah I could get just anyone to hold it, but they have not practiced working the recorder, and watching the levels, riding the levels etc. I'm still learning, but not just anyone can do it without experience.

Guess what, the first time I drove a car, I did not crash it. Effing amazing. Can you imagine that. Thousands of pounds of plastic and steel.ALL under my adolecent control. NO PRIOR EXPIRIENCE!! and yet, no one died. The car wasn't destroyed. and here I sit today to tell the tale.

I'm beginning to think you're just another troll.

Well yeah I could get just anyone to hold it, but they have not practiced working the recorder, and watching the levels, riding the levels etc. I'm still learning, but not just anyone can do it without experience. I could stand it up on a pole, which is what I have tried, but you can't have the actors move around and talk, because the pole won't move.

Yes, this why there has never been an indie film made for less than a million dollars. It's unpossible to make a film without hiring well-paid professionals.

Back