How do actors do so well on their directorial debuts when...?

A lot of big name actors get their debuts to direct, but how do a lot of them do so well, when they haven't even made any short films before? They just go straight from acting to directing, it seems without having any previous material reviewed, to see if it's any good, or get any feedback. At least none that I can find.

A big part of what a director does is find or write a good script and properly cast it. Then during production, work closely with actors. An actor is ideally qualified to do all three of those.
Don't ever believe that actors are airheads. Far from it. The smartest people I've even know are actors.

Well yeah I could get just anyone to hold it, but they have not practiced working the recorder, and watching the levels, riding the levels etc. I'm still learning, but not just anyone can do it without experience. I could stand it up on a pole, which is what I have tried, but you can't have the actors move around and talk, because the pole won't move. I shot a short and am going to edit it, but I could not find a way to record the sound simultaneously.

Harmonica,

Would it be possible for you to find a film group in your hometown? What about a public access TV station? There you would find people who want to learn like you do and would be motivated to figure out how to use the equipment.

If you know how to set audio levels, SHOW SOMEBODY how to do it. If you don't have any extra hands, then you need a shotgun mic to pick up sound and hope for the best. There are VU meters on the prosumer level of cameras and for your consumer grade camcorders, the mics kinda suck, but they're okay until you know what you're doing.

Also, remember that to act and direct in the same movie is very hard. Kevin Smith is in his films, but he has no lines to remember.

The way so many people are getting into filmmaking, maybe you can find people interested in it if you look in your school, (I don't know how old you are or if you are in school, but you know what I mean)

You say you're still learning, well aren't we all :D

-- spinner :cool:

If you mean to submit to a festival. Nope, you don't need to hire anyone to make a short that you'll submit to a festival. Just do everything yourself, and make the most out of what you have. And by what you have, i mean people as much as equipment.

Harmonica,

Would it be possible for you to find a film group in your hometown? What about a public access TV station? There you would find people who want to learn like you do and would be motivated to figure out how to use the equipment.

If you know how to set audio levels, SHOW SOMEBODY how to do it. If you don't have any extra hands, then you need a shotgun mic to pick up sound and hope for the best. There are VU meters on the prosumer level of cameras and for your consumer grade camcorders, the mics kinda suck, but they're okay until you know what you're doing.

Also, remember that to act and direct in the same movie is very hard. Kevin Smith is in his films, but he has no lines to remember.

The way so many people are getting into filmmaking, maybe you can find people interested in it if you look in your school, (I don't know how old you are or if you are in school, but you know what I mean)

You say you're still learning, well aren't we all :D

-- spinner :cool:

There isn't a lot of TV or film groups where I live, and the ones that are hear have not allowed me to observe them work. But I was offered a casting interview to act in a short so maybe I can get in and even if I don't get the part, I can still ask to observe them and see if they say yes this time.

If you mean to submit to a festival. Nope, you don't need to hire anyone to make a short that you'll submit to a festival. Just do everything yourself, and make the most out of what you have. And by what you have, i mean people as much as equipment.

I would still have to hire actors though, and get someone to hold the mic for the shots where the actors are required to move around.

I'm not 100% sure, but I suppose the key thing would be story telling. Can you get a good narrative across to your audience. You can have the best camera-work in the world but if the story is weak or, worse still, incomprehensible, you'll have a lot of trouble getting into festivals.

You probably already know but it's worth mentioning that story-telling isn't just about the screenplay or storyboarding, it's also in the subtle decisions you make in production such as how a character should walk or talk or how he lights a cigarette, not to mention how it's all cut together in the editing room. These are things you can concentrate on without relying on other people with professional gear.

I think the my storytelling is my strongest point, since it's relatively easy for me to come up with ideas, and turn them into scripts so far. Even though I have just been shooting one actor scenes (the actor being me mostly), with ADR, afterwords, I do think that I am ready when it comes to telling a coherent story to the audience at this point.

I will post a short once I get the editing and sound done, after I find the program. Thanks guys for the input.

Last edited:
Man its ther money and connections they've accrued since acting. Look at Clint Eastwood. You're telling me its not obvious how he can make a good directorial debut? Redford? If you're in the business, you're in the business.

-They're backed by producers who know their name and trust their ability.
-They have people they've worked with before willing to work with them again on the director level.
-If they're intelligent then they know what to look for in a story or develop they're own.
-They always smile.

1) Surround yourself with talented people.
2) Pay good money.
3) Get a top class DP with a very understanding soul.

Easy - no?

Well that's how I'd do it if I were a) a wealthy actor, b) had a great sp and c) wanted to play God for a change... ;)

A frind of mine whi is a production manager with the DGA agrees with my auto pilot explanation. The first time actor director is surrounded with experienced people who know what they have to do to make the story and footage look good. Actors are better with stories than DPs.

Take, Mortal Kommbat II where John Leonetti firected his first feature. The footage looked GREAT. But, it was in serious search of a story.

A frind of mine whi is a production manager with the DGA agrees with my auto pilot explanation. The first time actor director is surrounded with experienced people who know what they have to do to make the story and footage look good. Actors are better with stories than DPs.

Take, Mortal Kommbat II where John Leonetti firected his first feature. The footage looked GREAT. But, it was in serious search of a story.

Lol Mortal Kombat 2 was horrendous, that chick with the long hair needed to die horribly lol. Never realized you were in Rego Park, NY I'm down teh block in Woodhaven-cheers to queens!

:)

I'm busy this week right through the weekend with a shooting day coming up in NJ this coming Sunday. But, afterwards things should slow down a bit. I have to get started on a rough cut and sort out the footage. But, there is no deadline with that.

Back