• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can I write dialogue which brings the story forward?

I believe amazing dialogue is one of the most difficult challenges of writing a selling screenplay. Don’t get me wrong! Of course, it’s easy to write it. But it isn’t easy to write a dialogue which brings the story forward.

I mean following scene doesn’t bring the story forward, do it?:

Int. Blake’s family house, kitchen – early morning

GINA (50), James’ mother, is in kitchen. She puts some English breakfast into silver microwave. Gina adjusts the time. The microwave’s red LEDs shows 2 min. She presses the “Start”-Button.

Gina goes to the white metallic fridge. She takes a plastic bottle of orange juice from the fridge and a glass from the cupboards. Gina puts the glass down on kitchen unit. She pours orange juice into the glass.

Male voice (James) (O.S.)
(very loud)
Achoo!​

Gina is surprised at the sound. Is James ill? She shakes her head and grabs the glass. Some orange juice is spilled. Yellow-orange spots are on the kitchen unit now. She lifts the glass and go to the table. Gina puts the glass down. The microwave peeps.

She takes the plate from the microwave.

James (O.S.)
Achoo!​

Gina stops.

Cut to:

Int. Blake’s family house, James’ room – later

James lies in bed. His eyes and head are red. He sneezes and coughs heavily.

Someone opens the door. It’s Gina. Gina goes forwards to James’ bed and sits at the edge of the bed.

Gina
Are you ok?​

James sneezes again.

James
No.
Gina touches James’ forehead. It’s hot.

Gina
You’ve fever

James
(angry)
Oh Crap!

Gina
I know. The trip. But you stay home today. You’re ill. We go to the doctor later.​

I find the dialogue here great. Although the action could be written in better way. Also don't use parentheticals, leave them for the actors...

I'm not sure but I think it would better to mentioning the sneeze in the action and not in dialogue.

To be sure that the story is moving forward, you first must fully know the story. You make a lot of questions. Have you consider taking classes on screenwriting or read any book?

Last edited:
the most improtant thing for my characters is that they all sound differently. SO I Do backstories on characters past, eduation and behavior so they sound like themselves and not like me or every other character in the story. IN relaity people from a specific region sound similar but not exactly the same. If i know who the character is I can write their dialogue much better. Like, I literally outline everything about a character. Till their past and behavior is set in concrete that isnt quite dry yet.

Also, rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. put it down.. come back and more rewrite. IMO it does wonders.

I don't know if the story is moving forward. Is this the start or the middle of a story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKhURjt9x5A

The story in this scene is moving forward. Henry doesn't want to be a father and have all of the responsibility's that come with it. The baby getting sick gets him further away what he really wants. To masturbate all day to the Lady in the Radiator.

Last edited:
In order to know if dialog advaces the story um you have to know whar the story is. You can't just post random dialog with no context and ask if it advances the story. What story?

IDK about the dialogue but wow is that glass of orange juice the main character or what lol
You have a scene taking place in the kitchen and 90% of that scene is describing to us in specific detail what is going on with the orange juice step-by-step. i dont find glasses of orange juice particularly riveting myself.

Gina goes to the white metallic fridge. She takes a plastic bottle of orange juice from the fridge and a glass from the cupboards. Gina puts the glass down on kitchen unit. She pours orange juice into the glass. She shakes her head and grabs the glass. Some orange juice is spilled. Yellow-orange spots are on the kitchen unit now. She lifts the glass and go to the table. Gina puts the glass down.

Back