• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

audio How can I compose cinematic edits like this?

Hey, I like editing videos in my free time and really like the vibe of this style of videos:

I am not sure how to word this but, how can I gather audio clips and make it sound smooth like that? How can I build that sense of hype, intrigue, mystery, etc? Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Hey, I like editing videos in my free time and really like the vibe of this style of videos:

I am not sure how to word this but, how can I gather audio clips and make it sound smooth like that? How can I build that sense of hype, intrigue, mystery, etc? Could anyone point me in the right direction?
This uses spacious music with "sweeteners" on top. These could be done musically with virtual instruments, or by layering other stock tracks, or by dropping common sound design effects. I hear LOTS of risers, hits, and transitions. There are probably 6 different music tracks cross-faded or stacked. Dozens of percussion hits and riser or braahm stock sound effects. The last touch is good editing and mixing.

Yeah, I agree.

Here is what the audio timeline looks like for something basic, like a youtube video.

1697429803987.png

Here's a more complex one

1697429852553.png

I keep mine simple, like the first one, but if there's a lot of money at stake, you end up with something really detailed like the second one.

I've found that it's better to start off assuming I'll have to do 10 tracks, and then being pleasantly surprised when 7 is all it needs, as opposed to how I did it when I was starting out. Basically in the early days I thought you needed 2-3 tracks, and anything else was "extra work".

The good news is that though it's time consuming to get the effect you want, the process itself is fairly intuitive. If you don't have your own VSTI/DAW setup, I'd recommend Artlist and Epidemic Sound as very low cost avenues where you can curate a lot of viable assets for your work. Even just one of them, and a dozen hours of work will probably get you where you need to be.

A lot of getting the stronger effects you hear in pro work is getting your timing exact, down to the frame. That costs nothing, and takes no education really, so just spend some time making sure you really feel the impact of the audio and visuals working together.

Back