• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can a horror atmosphere be accomplished?

Alot of horrific scenes happen in the dark, so does anyone know of what kind of lights to use to keep the scene dark but not so dark that the camera doesn't see anything?

Even very dark scenes are lit. They are just lit carefully.

The kind of lights to use are the same kind of lights you use
to light a comedy or a drama. There isn't a "dark" kind of light.
You use more shadows, you cheat your source light, you work
with the settings on the camera, you use more reflected light
than direct light. You do not make the mistake of not using
light and forcing the camera to compensate by using a "low
light" feature.

Test a lot with your camera.

Whatever lights you're going to use go ahead and bring it/those to the set you're likely to use with a dark coat on the back of a chair and a notebook.

Set up camera, coat on chair, and lights.
Put your camera where you want it depending upon your aperture and focal range.
Shoot 20 seconds of the coat with your light beside your camera aimed at it.
Move the light back four feet, shoot another 20 seconds.
Move the light back another four feet, shoot another 20 seconds.

Put the light back beside the camera and aim it at the ceiling, shoot 20 seconds.
Move the light back four feet, shoot another 20 seconds.
Move the light back another four feet, shoot another 20 seconds.

And you're writing all this down in your notebook unless you just happen to have some super Mentat (Dune) memory. I don't. I got better things to clutter up my head with.

Now, start thinking "What is it I gotta do to get this light right where I need it"?
Do you need more or less?
Do you need different lights?
Would a string of Christmas tree lights be better?
How about a flashlight?
Do you need a key or halo light?
"F#ckit. What I really need to do is change the setting, 'cause this sh!t ain't working".

And this is all gonna/likely look different on your computer than it does with your own eyeballs because (hopefully) the camera isn't anywhere near as good as what God gave you.

Look for grain caused by gain.
See what you can do with tinkering with lightness/balance/gamma levels.
If it still looks FUBAR slap it up on yoobtube and see if anyone here has any bright ideers. ;)

GL

I use bright lights - 500 - 1,000 watts each. These scenes use just one light.

One 1K light off to the right side, with blue gel. Where the light is placed will give you shadows on the opposite side of the actors' faces - don't place the light in front of the actors, but off to the side or back:

247980_10150641632400494_603930493_19096559_6592992_n.jpg

Light on the left side, but with a fog machine added. Fog catches the light and creates atmospheric ambience:

EXILEblindinfog.jpg

This time there is no gel, just barn doors on the light, half closed. The light is outside the window and partially blocked by objects in the window. Placing a tree branch in front can work wonders:

259951_10150645689060494_603930493_19152606_1506365_n.jpg

The key is to watch the aperature on your camera. Manual aperature stays constant as you pan from light spot to dark spot, whereas an automatic camera will compensate and open or close the iris, making it hard to maintain black areas in moving shots. When I'm using bright lights, I might engage the camera's neutral density filter to make the shot as dark as I want it.

Discussed with more detail in this thread:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=31798

Back