How big should my miniatures be?

I've seen shots of vehicles that were obviously toys, and, quite honestly, they looked pretty silly. I've asked about making miniatures, so I would like to know how big a spaceship should be. Say, if it was to be as big as a bus, how long should the model be?

Do you think TV's were different 1975 to 1977 than today
or exactly the same?

But filming for TV is different for the big screens, isn't it???
Nope. I kind of think people have some pretty big, HD
TV's and computer monitors today. I'm thinking that
even the biggest TV is 1977 can't compare to the screen
resolution on an iTouch.

If you want to shoot as cheap as you can and make tiny,
inexpensive models that will only look good on a TV or
computer screen I will not try to change your mind.

Being an avid scale modeler, I have found out size really does not matter. It's how you _paint_ it and how you _film_ it that matters.

Here's a quick and dirty test done on a 1/48 scale Tamiya Panther tank (five inches long), which is basically just a plastic kit. It was built many years ago when I thought silvering was the best weathering-effect. I am not happy with the paintjob at all, but I say it works very well on my screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR09...DvjVQa1PpcFMFXQfWfegEQXz1_rHxfJql_4bSGR3OonE=

Again, it's a quick and dirty test to check if we could even pull it off. ;)

Lost In Space used 4 different scale size models and their ship interiors were studio sets.

The smallest model was 18 inches and the largest was 1:1 scale.

The scenes where the actors were inside or outside the ship, the 1:1 scale model was used.

The ship flying through space, they used the 18 inch model and even scenes flying through the atmosphere of planets.

Last edited:
Inception also used miniatures for the "hospital building explosion"
check this out -pretty interesting

"I served as the lead digital set designer for New Deal Studios on the hospital building explosion. The miniature was 1:6th scale and measured in at 50' x 60' at the base and was 35' high. The mountain was constructed using 6 - 40' shipping containers and 4 - 20' sea containers as a sub-structure. A wood framework was then fabricated to fill out the remaining topology.
The building components were broken down into approximately 12 basic patters that were then molded and cast using a custom process. Each of these components was then carefully attached to a custom built hydraulic scissor jack system that would create the collapsing effect on cue. "

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Inception-miniature-effects/766566

Back