Horror films that don't rely on Gore.

I'm looking for films to watch where the scares are more psychological than graphic gore. Even implied(ala first Texas Chainsaw Massacre) is fine. A decent story would also be helpful. I'm planning to work on a horror film that is either bloodless or limited blood, and could use some inspiration and ideas. For a few examples-

Texas Chainsaw Massacre(the original)
Blair Witch Project(The original)
Psycho(The originial)

Funny-all originals ;)

Anyone help me out?

Poltergeist (the first movie) is still one of my favorites. Not too much gore if you discount a guy ripping his face off. Yes, it has its flaws, but it's still one I can watch over and over again.

The Others was interesting.

The Sixth Sense is a story well told.

Hide and Seek

What Lies Beneath

The Ring

The Grudge

The Unborn looks interesting, though I haven't seen it yet so I can't say how gory it is (or not).

Pet Semetary has some gore, but not too much relatively speaking - certainly not like Hostel or George Romero's Dead series of films.

It depends on what you consider "scary". Fatal Attraction isn't a horror per se, but it can be pretty scary if you're married. Anyone hungry for rabbit stew?

Last edited:
Thanks. The Ring is one I thought had a lot of gore(haven't seen it) but I guess not.

I see what you mean about what "scary" is, but the movies you've given me as suggestions are the type of stuff I'm looking for.

I'm wanting to try a thriller/horror type, but I guess one of the big things about the "fear factor" is timing and atmosphere. You don't want to build up and release too soon, not effective, yet too long and people get turned off.

I suppose sound is another key part of it. I'll have to get some ideas from watching the films.

Thanks for the input!

Watch a bunch of the b/w Twilight Zone episodes. :)

It's not blunt "graphic-in-your-face" horror, but horror it is... and it was all atmosphere & timing.

If you watch 'em all, give yourself bonus points for being able to tell which were shot on film, and when they changed to video. (Well, not too many points. It's pretty obvious)

THE HAUNTING.
Not the piece of crap done several years ago (1999-which was full of gore), but the one by Robert Wise in the 60's (right before he did a 180 degree flip and followed it with THE SOUND OF MUSIC - yes, also a horror film to some).
Not gory, but spooky.

well i will agree with Tinalera when we are making a horror movie without GORE a lot more hardwork is needed in lighting,atmosphere,music etc.....
i havent seen blair wich till now...though it is in my PC but didnt got the time to see ...recently watched SAW and i can say that SAW series is becoming my most fav movie series...1 & 2 both parts were awesome.

but i personally feel it becomes 100 times more hard to make a movie which is horror but have no gore...what do you say?

Some good suggestions all around. I had forgotten about Twilight Zone-definitely one to watch regards to timing and atmosphere.

As far as horror movie without the gore being harder, I've always enjoyed a challenge :). I find those without the gore which a tell a good story to be more rewarding.

I've seen the Shining, and that's another good example, haven't seen the original Haunting-have to pick it up. I haven't seen Saw 2, but I thought the first was pretty good storytelling(though I understand as the sequels rack up, so does the gore)

Getting a nice list of stuff to watch here. Thanks!

Gore in and of itself isn't necessarily scary. Otherwise, E.R. and Grey's Anatomy would be considered "horror". To some, it is horrifying to be sure. In Texas, hunting and fishing are part of a very normal routine, and you get to deal with gore there, too. Now place that gore in the context of someone or something you care about, and it takes on a whole new dimension.

You can do a lot with implying and not actually showing. One's imagination could be considerably more vivid and powerful than much of what you can put on screen. I don't like movies that are nothing more than gratuitous gore fests, but added to the context of a scary environment and situation, it makes the scene that much more disturbing. Event Horizon is one such movie that "got to me". The original Hellraiser is another. In contrast, the cat in Pet Semetary had a lasting affect on me without gore.

And I can't believe I missed The Shining. That is also on my list of favorites and another one that got under my skin.

Gore in and of itself isn't necessarily scary...

I agree, gore is close to gross out shock which when you think about it, it's very close to the American Pie idea of films. You're not really scared, just grossed out.

Here are some films I thought of:

Identity, a pretty good surprise ending

Silence of the Lambs, the original but not the sequels

Session 9, there is a little gore, but I thought it was more suspense

Angelheart, creeped me out for days, plus you get to see what Mickey Roarke looked like before he did whatever he did to himself

Hitchock's Psycho, that film still stands up

-- spinner :cool:

EDIT: The Game, thats a Michael Douglas film

Last edited:
Implied isn't a problem for the film I'm doing. It's funny how I was reminded about Texas Chainsaw Massacre(the original) despite the title, it's a lot more implied than actual gore, yet I was under the mistaken memory it was gory until I watched it again recently.

Good point though about putting gore in context(IE someone you care about). I guess I've seen too many horror movies where the violence was simply gratuitous with no "hook" as it were to keep you going plotwise. I think doing a movie that's more psychological(which is what I'm aiming for)and letting the imagination do the work is, as was stated before, more challenging to create, and I'm looking forward to that.

BTW, as a kid, I HATED horror movies*l*

Anyone mention Wait Until Dark yet?

That's one of my all-time favorites.

On the Asian horror side of things, A Tale of Two Sisters was pretty scary (to me), and I don't believe it had very much gore.

Thread Title said:
Horror films that don't rely on Gore

An Inconvenient Truth wasn't that scary... was it?
smiley_tish.gif

I got nuthin' :mope:

looks like lot of replies :D

the only name coming at the momment is of a Bollywod movie RAAZ which was didnt had any gore but was really horror....interestingly the night i watched RAAZ (bollywood movie) there was heavy storm and lightning in our city so the horror really increase to double. :D

Wait Until Dark-is that the one about the blind woman? I think I saw that one many years ago, watch it again.

Asian cinema can pretty freaky, though I haven't seen The Ring or Two Sisters.

Repulsion? Vaguely tickles something in my brain, but I'll check out.

Wow, getting quite a collection-I didn't know there were that many horror movies with limited gore.

Inconvinient Truth? *L* I've heard some describe it as a horror movie, though they say it has more to do with butchery of the subject matter than actual plot*L* I haven't seen it, but there seem to be strong opinions on the film either way.

EDIT: RAAZ? Interesting, a Bollywood horror movie, just the intrigue factor alone makes me want to watch it :)

my main goal as a beginner in filmmaking is a short horror/mystery without any gore. as a huge horror fan i've seen a lot of horrors but can count on one hand those which were actually frightening.

everyone (sane) is scared of a big dude in a mask with a chainsaw but why is the original revered as a great horror and the remake thought of as a shiny mtv generation piece of crap?
(by me at least)

if you want people to watch your film and leave thinking 'oh wow that was gross, cool' then fine. if you want people to watch and then sleep with the light on for the next couple of weeks then you will need to do your research.

heres a few to start you.

the tenant
the wicker man
the changeling
Duel
the exorcist (nobody mentioned this?????)
audition
rosemary's baby

watch these and take notes!

Last edited:
Back