Hi everyone, My name is Jeannine. I am new to this forum.

I didn't say anything about the experience of watching a movie in a theater. I talked about the support you mentioned. You still didn't answer my question about what kind of a support you are giving when you go watch other filmmakers films in a festival? Why are you calling it support?
But I also supported other filmmakers by seeing their movies.
Again as a movie goer I love the experience of enjoying a movie in a theater. I took issue with this one. How exactly does me watching other filmmakers movie in a FESTIVAL support them? I am not talking about theater or the experience of watching a movie together. Enjoying other peoples movies is not called supporting them, not in a festival where nothing goes to the filmmaker.

He does not mean financial support.
I know he is not talking about the financial support, not every support is financial I get that. but the word support usually indicates you are helping the guy in some way, anyway. Enjoying a movie together goes back to your own satisfaction, it is not supporting the filmmaker.

At the local or indie level, with unknowns that are struggling or trying to get their name out, it is often called support. If the filmmaker invited you, and you have better things to do but go to support, that's what it is. If you just happened to read about it on social media and go because you want to, then yes, you are going to be entertained. But you are also supporting the industry/scene and the filmmaker by giving him butts in seats. But yes, I understand your distinction.

I didn't say anything about the experience of watching a movie in a theater. I talked about the support you mentioned. You still didn't answer my question about what kind of a support you are giving when you go watch other filmmakers films in a festival? Why are you calling it support?
I know you didn't say anything about watching a movie in a theater; I said
that. In the festival context it's disheartening to walk into a theater where
your first film is showing and see 10 people. You're excited to show people
what you have worked so hard on for so long. It's showing on a big screen
in a real theater. But then... only 10 people are there. I know how that feels
as a film maker. And it isn't a good feeling.

I don't have the clout to open doors, I'm not interested in providing emotional
support to film makers I don't know personally but I can sit in a theater and
react to the movie. That's what I call that support.

This thread would be good "support" for the OP's festival, but we don't know the name :lol:

Back