HFG10 vs T3i / GH2 - advice needed

Hey all,

I recently decided that I was going to purchase the Canon HFG10 camcorder to start shooting short films. I was actually a day away from making the purchase before deciding to do another night of research on the purchase. It then came to my attention that shooting on a DSLR could be even more fruitful. Still photography is not a must for this purchase. Low-light is going to be a decent part of what I shoot, I believe.

So now, to rival my decision to get the HFG10, I've stumbled on the T3i. And after learning of it's capabilities, I was drawn to this message board -- home of the Panasonic GH2 it seems. It never appeared on my radar even a little bit before coming here: which in one way is troubling (why do only a few people recommend it?), and in another way liberating (I've stumbled on some learned people who can improve my purchase?)

So this is where I am right now. I know with the T3i / GH2 route you can accumulate lenses. That will not be a huge factor for me, for a long time. I don't plan on pooling huge money in lenses for a very considerable amount of time. Also, I know the GH2 is hackable and that seems to be everyone's beginning-and-ending arguments in favour of that model.

Is the HFG10 really a waste of money? It is not very upgradable ... but I've heard amazing things about it's low-light capabilities. It's chip is also smaller though. Please help! And please don't say use the search button...I've most of the threads in this forum up to page 20 in the last few hours. I would like an answer directed towards the HFG10 vs T3i vs GH2. Thank you very much

Differences are lenses and designed purpose & usability is what Im thinking. You are tricking the DSLR into doing the work of a camcorder. If one's style is to really use DOF and get widest range of images using all the lenses available DSLR. If your style can live within the zoom range and lesser DOF of the camcorder, it is easier to record and adjust settings.

Id rather have the HFG10 and forgo the DSLR meself for video. There are many good works that have been done on camcorders w/ fixed lenses and I wish to make my style can fit in that range.

So in your view, if DOF becomes less of a factor, the HFG10 wins out because it would be easier to use the settings? I'm pretty interested in learning the ins-and-outs of every piece of equipment I buy, so no matter what camera I get I'm going to become extremely familiar with the adjustable settings. I do believe having control over the depth of field is a tremendous asset

Id rather have the HFG10 and forgo the DSLR meself for video. There are many good works that have been done on camcorders w/ fixed lenses and I wish to make my style can fit in that range.

Personally, I would choose the DSLR route. I owned a nice consumer camcorder before I purchased my T3i (not this particular one, but a good one nonetheless). The camcorder was easy to use, but I fell in love with interchangeable lenses and manual control over your image. I ended up having to cheat even more with my camcorder to get shots that even came close to what I wanted -- something that isn't hardly an issue with DSLRs.

Don't worry about putting a lot of money into lenses starting out. I have spent a grand total of $100 on lenses/accessories for my T3i (as I've mentioned to others, eBay is your friend), and there have been some very nice looking images coming out of it (in my humble opinion ;)). If you were already planning on purchasing the camcorder, you could easily set aside the money saved on a T3i/GH2 and put it towards one or two used lenses.

As far as T3i vs GH2, they are both hackable (have a look at Magic Lantern), but even without hacking they produce great video. Between the two, I often wish I had actually gone with the GH2 instead, but like I said they are both great.

Last edited:
I have a GH2 and I dont have any regrets. That and a 50mm prime will get you started and give you great results. Hit ebay for a canon FD mount lens and adapter (less than $100).

As far as T3i vs GH2, they are both hackable (have a look at Magic Lantern), but even without hacking they produce great video. Between the two, I often wish I had actually gone with the GH2 instead, but like I said they are both great.

Why do you often wish you had gone with the GH2 over the T3i, might I ask?

Why do you often wish you had gone with the GH2 over the T3i, might I ask?

Don't get me wrong, they are both great. But the GH2 has even better video features than does the T3i. Here's an interesting comparison between the step-above canon and the GH2: http://dslrhd.com/2010/12/panasonic-gh2-vs-canon-60d/

There are a few other reviews you can find that go into more detail about the actual video features:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/460/canon-60d-versus-panasonic-gh2-full-review-part-1
http://www.eoshd.com/content/465/canon-60d-versus-panasonic-gh2-full-review-part-2

The reason I ended up getting a T3i in the end is that it was slightly cheaper, and I didn't quite have the budget at the time to get the GH2.

Hope this helps!

I have the Gh1 and love it, my brother has the gh2 and he loves it, i dont have much experience with the other cameras u mentioned but i just thought id let u know Both OF these cameras are amazing!

There are pluses and minuses either way you look at these options. They are nothing like the actual cine tools we would love to get our hands on. It's up to you to make the prudent, fiscally sound call as to which way you would like to start your hobby/career. Because at the end of the day, while this will be the first camera you buy it will most certainly not be your last.

As you research don't get too hung on on the technical aspects of the cameras because what is DOF if not used effectively in a shot? Depth can be emphasized with creative and proper staging and blocking so may be you can live with a camcorder. Just add more dimensions to your research than mechanics and technical specs, because after all these are just tools, the scientific part of the equation that is a blending of science and art.

I started with an professional, yet SD, camcorder myself - the Canon GL2. It was time to upgrade and go HD and I was at the same place you were. I opted the way of the DSLR, I own a 60D, which I absolutely love. But it comes with additional costs - lenses, external monitors, rigs, etc.

You're on the right course doing the research and asking for input on here. My advice is to just add more dimensions to your research. In the end you'll make the right call that works for you and your stories. Good luck.

You're on the right course doing the research and asking for input on here. My advice is to just add more dimensions to your research. In the end you'll make the right call that works for you and your stories. Good luck.

I've taken your advice about contemplating the decision outside of technical specs. Technical specs are where the GH2 route wins in my opinion. And I'm in a Film Production class so operating a camera more complicated than the HFG10 is not a curse in any way. But when I look at footage from the HFG10 it seems more sharp...more clear in low-light. Is that just me? Can a lens that comes with the GH2 rival the low-light shots of the HFG10?

But then I turn around and say, if I buy a nice lens for the GH2, I can keep it whenever I upgrade the body. The flipside of this is: I can't upgrade the HFG10 really at all. It is what it is. Is it enough? Is the sound quality from the HFG10 really far-and-away better than that of the GH2, without external mics? (of which I have a decent mic anyway)

Some part of my gut says if I go with the HFG10 I will be happy for a long time at first, then more and more disappointed. The same feeling in my gut says if I get the GH2 I will be unhappy at first, but more and more happy as time goes on. Does that make any sense at all?

This purchase is coming up very soon, so any and all input directing me towards a happier buy is very very very appreciated. Let's just say since I'm being supplied a % of the funds from a relative visiting my father this week....the purchase basically has to be made in like less than 10 days. That doesn't give me a long time to hammer down this solution :hmm:

Some part of my gut says if I go with the HFG10 I will be happy for a long time at first, then more and more disappointed. The same feeling in my gut says if I get the GH2 I will be unhappy at first, but more and more happy as time goes on. Does that make any sense at all?

Haha, well put! This was my experience exactly. When I got my first camcorder I had no idea what went into making movies/framing shots/telling a story/etc. All I knew was that I wanted to try to make something. So at first, I was very happy that I could point the camera at something and it would record a video.

But as I learned more about these things (and admittedly, the more I browsed Vimeo), I knew DSLR was the way to go for me. I only had the stock lens that comes with it at first (18-55mm which is sharp but very "meh" in most respects), but then I got a 28mm and 135mm combo on eBay for a total of $20. Winning! They aren't high-quality, but offered a bit more flexibility in the shots I could get. Most recently, I got the Super Takumar 50mm lens on eBay for about $60. It is beautiful and pretty much my go-to lens.

So in short, my happiness level is increasing with the lenses I get for my T3i (as an aside, if you're getting a GH2 you can also use Canon FD lenses, but that is not recommended with a Canon DSLR, ironically).

Of course, any of these cameras are fully capable of accomplishing your goal of making short films. Whichever camera you decide to get, learn it and exploit it to its full potential. Your camera is a tool used to tell a story, so use your tool well and the results will follow.

Last edited:
If you buy the wrong camera, you will be laughed at by strangers, your parents will disown you, and nobody will ever want to touch you again.. but other then than that, whats there to trouble about?

If I go the GH2 route:

A standard lens that comes in a package is: "Panasonic Lumix Vario 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 Lens"

Would you guys recommend I go for that package? Or merely buy the body, an adapter, and a 50mm prime?

After all is said and done, I'd probably save $200 to just get the Prime and not the Lumix Vario. Suggestions?

I just got the GH2, and while my first actual shoot with it isn't for another week or so, I love the footage it gives me while I'm doing test runs. Unaltered it's vibrant, sharp, and really nice looking. As for low light, I could get low light footage perfectly fine in light that I could barely get a clear picture in with the same camera, so far, it seems pretty good. (Again, I haven't done much testing).

Another thing I'm really looking forward to is the versatility of the lenses. I've heard that with the right adapters, you can get almost any lens to fit the GH2.

welcome to the GH2 rabid fanboy club! :)

Yup just about any lens will adapt to the gh2. I have adapters for , m42, canon FD, Minota MD lenses. I know of many other varieties. The GH2 mount is called a "Micro four thirds" mount. M43 for short. M42 is NOT M43 by the way.. . there are other M43 cameras too. For example some new Olympic lenses work on the GH2 without an adapter.

Back