Hey All!

Hey all!

Yes im new too. If theres anyone from the Cardiff area or near, give me a shout, as im eager to get some experience on some projects. I have some good basic knowledge of most areas of production as im a media student currently.

So any individuals or groups based in or around Cardiff let me know.

Cheers. ;)

Hey Poke and Spatula (theres a sentence I never thought i'd write! Sounds like a comedy duo!)

Um...Cardiff is in Wales, UK, so i'm probably not gonna be much help to you guys in the states and Canada. Thanks for saying hi tho!

Are you guys filming at all at the mo? Any advice for a wannabee?

I'm in post, but here's my advice.
Have fun above anything else. If you can't enjoy it, leave it for a while and come back. The quality of your movie will depend on how much you love it, and you can't love it if it isn't enjoyable, right?
Our movie took on it's own entity. It became bigger than any of us, and we had to trudeg through dirt and grime (literaly and figuratively) to get it done.
Whenever we did a stunt, started a shoot, ate a sandwich on set, we always said this:

"FOR THE MOVIE!"

If you love it, it will do itself. You will just be there to experience it.

Yeah good advice.

Ive made a few short music videos for my course, but in my spare time im trying to get a few personal projects going. I'm trying to network as much as possible now and trying to get experience with others.

So what kind of films do you make and at what level?

Movies

So far, we've done two shorts and one feature. All three have been comedic adaptaions of Shakespeare. We started in high school, for a monolouge project in Geoff's class, we did Hamlet. It actually got into the Toronto International Teen Festival (HILTZ), but got a crappy timeslot and was lost in the commotion. Then, King Lear we did for a class project, it was shown at school in the lecture hall to 3 classes, and we ended up making $500 selling VHS copies, so we said, well, let's make a feature. So here comes MacBeth.
We all pitched in and bought some basic equippment, I got a bottle of jack daniels and wrote a modern adaptation of the script, and we started calling people.
It's all very independant- we just gathered friends, explored networks of friends and parents and started filming. No permits, no legalities, no safty, no holds-barred entertainment.
It took a lot of determintion, but in the end, the amount of creative control (writing new scenes on some days, filming on the fly, adding jokes on set) was worth it. We're all very proud of what we've done, and that's better than money.

If you want to put together personal projects, just write them, grab friends, borrow money (or invest it yourself), buy your equipment or rent it (renting means more planning and time constraints though), and go out and film it.

The first scene we shot for MacBeth was in a grocery store where I worked at the time. We waited in the cold of winter for the manager to leave, and then guerrila style, just barged into an aisle with cameras, boom mic, track pieces, 3 witches in full costume, a metal bucket, and 7-8 uniforms I had been collecting over the years by "loosing" my shirts. We ran extension cords to the back of the store, set up lights, and put "employees" on either end of the aisle to get products for customers if they needed them. I had a friend on cash press the page button every time we filmed so sound would synch, and we just did it.
As a side note, the manager on duty came up to me and asked if I had permission... I lied and said, "Oh yeah Goron, Mario told me it was OK"... he then called Mario, and Mario didn't have a clue, so Goron comes back and says "I just called Mario- he says he has no idea what you're talking about". So I say, "Listen, Goron, I talked to him. Maybe he doesn't remember, but he was tired when I asked him, so that's forgivable. But listen- there's 15 people here with all this equipment. Do you really think I'd get all of this together if I didn't have permission? C'mon Goron..." And he says: "How long are you going to be?" And I say: "Just 15 minutes... relax, don't worry man."
So 3 hours later we leave and go home. The next day I get a call from the manager, Mario. He wanted me to bring in the tape to him and destroy the footage. I said I was sorry and would bring it tomorrow. (another blatant lie, because I had heard some rumors.....)
Next week he was fired for grabbing a cashier's butt. Lucky us. lol

BRILLIANT LOL!!!

I had some trouble filming in a local park recently. The ranger came up to us and asked if we had permission but I wasn't even aware we needed it. It was a public park!

Luckily though, all I had to do was fill out some forms. I think we would have had to pay if we weren't students though.

hello and welcome :yes: im up in scotland so not too far from you (well compared to most of the folk who post here!). how far are u through your studies?

Hey!

Im about a year in now. Im only doing a BTEC at the moment, but im going to Uni after this. Its going quite well, but i want to start developing a script im writing at the moment. I don't have much free time though. What about yourself?

and Scotland's not far by plane. If your really desperate for help anytime, let me know and I may be able to show up!

I got a bottle of jack daniels and wrote a modern adaptation of the script

I like the cut of yer jib, matey!
smiley_piratriot.gif

i finished my degree in film last august, been workin as area manager for moviebank in scotland (24hr dvd rental shops) and payin off my student debts (so many debts!). workin on a script i hope to shoot b4 the summer, prob on cannon XL. On my last film, my crew was made up of folk from all over the UK, my 1st AD was from london, so ill keep you informed! I'm going to be getting a lot more of film ideas off the ground this year, and im just about to get a PC with avid pro so i can start editing my footage at home too (thats the worse thing about not being a student - no more free facilities and equipment - i never realised how pricey it can be when u need to hire everything!). What kind of film you hoping hoping to make with your script? Is it a short?

ConfusionTheWaitress said:
Hey all!

Yes im new too. If theres anyone from the Cardiff area or near, give me a shout, as im eager to get some experience on some projects. I have some good basic knowledge of most areas of production as im a media student currently.

So any individuals or groups based in or around Cardiff let me know.

Cheers. ;)

I must have missed this before but...:welcome: and :cheers:

Chris

Welcome to Indietalk, ConfusionTheWaitress! My mom waitressed for many years, she suggests that a bag of ice under the wig oughta help with that confusion, hummm, or was that for a hangover?

Ahoy there confusionthewaitress. i am stationed in the midlands of the UK. there are a few of us on the boards here that have been talking off it about production and training each other (or to be honest, they train I). what in particular in film are you interested in/do?
cardiff has a nice uny and nightlife i hear. nice to meet you!

Well I want to get familiar with as many aspects as possible, as I eventually want to film some of my scripts, which are nowhere near ready yet though. What do you guys get up to generally and how experienced are you? If you ever need me i can get to the midlands but it may take me a while as i have no driving license. That may change in about a month though, if i pass my test. Cheers anyway.

What do you guys get up to generally and how experienced are you?

A couple of fellas from the forum have been kind enough to offer me training in post-production and filiming technique. I myself am unlikely to make films for a long time, but they (these two and some others scattered across England) are all professionals with their own businesses. My experience is all in writing, and that is where I want to make my mark (bit like you it sounds). I know about the driving test (I am 20) - I forgot to turn up to mine (blush face). Good luck for it.

Well I want to get familiar with as many aspects as possible.

That is a very good idea. You'll likely discover, along the way, the things that you really don't like about filmmaking, though.

Why is this a good thing? You'll be realising the things that (while important to the whole project) are better handled by others.

Teamwork, delegation and doing what you do best. :)

Nonetheless, there is no substitute for getting out there and trying it all 'til you find the areas you shine in.

Back