Here for advice on lens flare

My name is Justin and I am new to making videos. At this point I exclusively make short rock climbing films. I am here to ask about removing lens flare on a small bit of video, and I am sure I will find other questions to ask and look into here in the future.

I have a bit of video that got a bad lens flare and I am hoping to get some help with it here. I would re-shoot the video but the lighting conditions I need to get a good video are the exact light conditions that caused the flare. I am trying to attach a clip as a 3.82mb mp4 in a zip file but the server rejects it. The video camera in the shot is stationary, behind the flare there is a good bit of detail, and there is a person moving and involved with the lens flare for about 10 seconds. Any help, both with showing the video clip as well as with the lens flare, is greatly appreciated.

I have a bit of video that got a bad lens flare and I am hoping to get some help with it here. I would re-shoot the video but the lighting conditions I need to get a good video are the exact light conditions that caused the flare. I am trying to attach a clip as a 3.82mb mp4 in a zip file but the server rejects it. The video camera in the shot is stationary, behind the flare there is a good bit of detail, and there is a person moving and involved with the lens flare for about 10 seconds. Any help, both with showing the video clip as well as with the lens flare, is greatly appreciated.

you can always upload the clip“unlisted” to youtube. Then link it here.

I personally don’t know any tricks to remove the flare

TY sfoster :)

Here is the clip.

edited to add: the flare is in the lower left corner, and after lightening the shot and getting the color right the flare gets more pronounced because it is an orangeish flare and I have to add from that part of the spectrum to fix the color.

Last edited:
I used davinci resolve (free software) to isolate and remove the redness. its a color grading tool. I am very amateur at it and i did this in a few minutes.
more time or more skill could produce a better result

Last edited:
Wow sfoster, that is a huge improvement! That is exactly what I was hoping for, thank you so much for the help!

I downloaded the software and googled how to isolate a color, but I cant get rid of the glare unless I just turn the image black and white. This software is complicated and it seems like I could spend days on end playing with it to figure it out for myself. As fun as that sounds, any way you can give some specific advice on how you got that result? Thanks again for your help :)

edited to add: thanks for the feedback Rayandmigdalia, I appreciate the vote of confidence if I go that route.

Last edited:
Wow sfoster, that is a huge improvement! That is exactly what I was hoping for, thank you so much for the help!

I downloaded the software and googled how to isolate a color, but I cant get rid of the glare unless I just turn the image black and white. This software is complicated and it seems like I could spend days on end playing with it to figure it out for myself. As fun as that sounds, any way you can give some specific advice on how you got that result? Thanks again for your help :)

edited to add: thanks for the feedback Rayandmigdalia, I appreciate the vote of confidence if I go that route.

This is exactly the settings (see attachment)
Step 1: I used the qualifier tool to select the red glare area.
Step 2: I reduced the gain. And then I further reduced the gain by only taking some of the red out

There are some really great youtube channels about how to use resolve - its worth learning because it will make your videos look better.
I like this channel

Attachments

• resolveRedRock.jpg
    resolveRedRock.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Back