• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help..

um hey im new to this and dont exactly know where this topic would fit but i need help writing a short film script and who better to ask for help then you guys..i have an assignment for philosophy to create a short philosophical film from a question we choose in the book.My question is what is beautiful..i was considering writing what beauty is to me but i dont know.Does anyone have any other ideas?

um hey im new to this and dont exactly know where this topic would fit but i need help writing a short film script and who better to ask for help then you guys..i have an assignment for philosophy to create a short philosophical film from a question we choose in the book.My question is what is beautiful..i was considering writing what beauty is to me but i dont know.Does anyone have any other ideas?
As the old saying says "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder".
Because, what appears to me beautiful, may not appear beautiful for somebody else, sometimes we wonder how come that guy is selecting that piece of (whatever , say 'art piece' or blah blah).....since, we think that it is not beautiful, yet, he may like it.
Well, if we see , why so, what appears to me , is : this whole "feeling" depends on two factors: 1. State of our mind. ( Sometimes, the same thing that we see "Beautiful" may not appear "that much" beautiful, when we see that thing , when we are sad),
2. Perception (That is, we "define" boundaries , saying ..........this colour, this pattern, this way.....is only beauty.........or , in contrary,..................this colour is NOT beautiful, this pattern is NOT beautiful..........etc. ..). This feel, if changes ( sometimes, it will,) and then, we astonish that the thing we thought not beautiful is appearing beautiful.

i know that everyone has different outlooks as to what beauty is i just dont know how to write a script about that,like would it be a good idea if i were to write about three friends who were discussing about what beauty is to them?

Time to get experimental with it.
smiley_bong.gif

You remember Sesame Street, right? In particular, with James Earl Jones?.

Then we're gonna borrow a bit from Brian de Palma, and do a little splitscreen action.

Then, we're gonna make a list - not Santa's one - of various objects and images. A list of 20 things that are either beautiful or ugly. (Obviously that's your judgement). With our list in hand, we'll use Google Image Search to find pictures of them.

Then we're gonna hit up MySpace for a musician that plays the dulcimer. Get permission to use a song that you groove to.

Now that we have all our pieces, here's what we do:

1) Dulcimer music on audio track

2) Splitting the screen, on one side of the screen the various images you've collected will be displayed. One after the other. As each image appears, on the other side of the screen stands a wo/man in judgement... slowly announcing, after careful deliberation, whether the image is showing beauty or not with a simple intoned Yes or No.

3) ???

4) Profit.

I'm not going to write that up as a script for you, but it would make for one heck of a philosophical short. I wouldn't even have opening titles; just a 3 or 4 minute set of images with someone announcing yes or no. The audience would be guessing what the actual question is all the way through, and who can really say if the wo/man is right or not?

Have fun. :cool:

p.s. Stick my name in the closing credits and send me a copy of the finished thing, if you use this idea. :yes:

There is no one answer to what beauty is.

1. White text on black screen: “What is beauty?”
2. Ask 20-30 people on camera what they think beauty is:

“A sunset.”
“A newborn.”
“A good bargain.”
“Our nation’s flag.”
"My grandkids."
“Miss September.”

3. Edit together their answers.
4. White text on black screen: “What is beauty to me?”
5. White text on black screen: “This film.”

The End.

-Thanks-

Writing is self-expression, so write what beauty means to you.
You have to be an artist and make a creative decision here.
I'm afraid others can't help you here. Any advice you are given is how they/we see beauty,
...and then if you try and follow up on that, your project will probably fail because you are not working with what you believe.

Try freewriting about things that you think are beautiful, and think hard of a way to express that artistically.

One person might show a series of images they think are beautiful.
Another person might contrast images, putting beauty against ugly so beauty stands out.
Another might try to tell a story. Either an actual story, or a metaphorical one.

Express yourself.

smiley_bong.gif

Then we're gonna borrow a bit from Brian de Palma, and do a little splitscreen action.

Then, we're gonna make a list - not Santa's one - of various objects and images. A list of 20 things that are either beautiful or ugly. (Obviously that's your judgement). With our list in hand, we'll use Google Image Search to find pictures of them.

Then we're gonna hit up MySpace for a musician that plays the dulcimer. Get permission to use a song that you groove to.

2) Splitting the screen, on one side of the screen the various images you've collected will be displayed. One after the other. As each image appears, on the other side of the screen stands a wo/man in judgement... slowly announcing, after careful deliberation, whether the image is showing beauty or not with a simple intoned Yes or No.

3) ???

4) Profit.

I'm not going to write that up as a script for you, but it would make for one heck of a philosophical short. I wouldn't even have opening titles; just a 3 or 4 minute set of images with someone announcing yes or no. The audience would be guessing what the actual question is all the way through, and who can really say if the wo/man is right or not?

p.s. Stick my name in the closing credits and send me a copy of the finished thing, if you use this idea. :yes:

You know, I like that. I'm gonna file that away in my -to-do box for next time I'm aching to film :) Don't worry, you can have a piece of the back end, even if it's just the back end of the credits :P

There is no one answer to what beauty is.

1. White text on black screen: “What is beauty?”
2. Ask 20-30 people on camera what they think beauty is:

“A sunset.”
“A newborn.”
“A good bargain.”
“Our nation’s flag.”
"My grandkids."
“Miss September.”

3. Edit together their answers.
4. White text on black screen: “What is beauty to me?”
5. White text on black screen: “This film.”

The End.

-Thanks-

thats what i was thinking of doing at first :P

smiley_bong.gif

3) ???

4) Profit.

lol thank you for the idea,i might just do this when it comes time to make the actual film but for now i just have to write a script..oh and if i do use the idea i'll be sure to give you credit for the idea and send you a copy of the finished film ;)

Back